Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Sunday Bloody Sunday: Best Album Openers

Posted by: Lueda Alia (02/12/12)
I've been listening to Bowerbirds' upcoming album The Clearing on repeat the past week, and one of the songs I always put on first is actually... the first track, "Tuck The Darkness In." It's just so good. Naturally, I am now sitting here thinking of all the great album openers that I've been obsessed with over the years. Elliott Smith's "Needle in the Hay" pulls at my heart strings like no other, and it most definitely sets the tone for the rest of his self-titled album; Ratatat's "Seventeen Years" and Crystal Castles' "Fainting Spells" on the other hand, make me feel like I'm about to have a pretty epic listening experience throughout the entire albums. And of course, Islands' "Swans (Life After Death)" probably takes the cake as my absolute favourite opener of all time. I mean, besides it being the best thing that they will ever write (though I would love to be proven wrong), starting off an album with a 9+ minute track is just... ballsy. So what about you, AP.net readers? What are some of your favourite opening tracks?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 154
11:48 AM on 02/12/12
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Instead of just posting youtube videos, please give a brief explanation as to why they're your favourite tracks... or why you like them so much. That'd be nicer than having a page full of videos!
11:49 AM on 02/12/12
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Something Corporate's "As You Sleep" on North.... well, let's just say that Andrew's voice makes me melt!

And The Appleseed Cast's "End Frigate Constellation" makes me want to cry because of how powerful it feels/is.
11:51 AM on 02/12/12
cwhit412
User Info.
Something Corporate's "As You Sleep" on North.... well, let's just say that Andrew's voice makes me melt!

And The Appleseed Cast's "End Frigate Constellation" makes me want to cry because of how powerful it feels/is.
I think "I Want To Save You" may be a better opener.

I think Anberlin's "Debut" into "Godspeed" may be one of my favorites. And in recent times, Tonight Alive's intro into "Breaking and Entering" is incredible.
11:53 AM on 02/12/12
cwhit412
User Info.
And, how did I forget "Ever So Sweet"? one of the few times a slow song works as an opener. Fucking beautiful.
thisisadisaster
RICK FROM ALABAMA
User Info.
vaka - sigur ros

maybe one of my favorite songs of all time. perfect album.

gobbledigook - sigur ros

one of those songs that announces that a band is taking on a whole new sound with their new record. epicly happy feeling as well.

yeah yeah yeah song - the flaming lips
race for the prize - the flaming lips
fight test - the flaming lips

couldnt pick just one, so i went with all three. they all open each individual album perfectly.

one more time - daft punk

not just one of the best opening tracks, but one of the best tracks ever.

peachbone - animal collective

one of my favorite animal collective songs. i feel like its underrated. also it was one of my first introductions to the band.

neighborhood #1 - the arcade fire

perfect start to a perfect album.

genesis - justice

this song is so damn heavy. its one of those tracks that lets you know this album will kick your ass.

dance yrself clean - lcd soundsystem

that fucking build. a solid 3 minutes before the song really kicks in, and it still blows me away every single time.

everything in its right place - radiohead
15 step - radiohead
airbag - radiohead

like the flaming lips i couldnt pick just one. each song introduces you to the overall sound of its record. with a band that changes their sound as much as radiohead, this is often the first introduction outside of singles to what the record will sound like, and they all perfectly set you up for what you are about to experience.
sjb2k1
User Info.
One of my favorites is Arrows - "We Only Speak On Weekends." Besides reminding me of Mineral and Penfold, I just love the way Anthony delivers his vocals. And then it ends on a rad instrumental (starting at around 3:30 it gets reeeeally good) that I may or may not jump around to every time.
11:54 AM on 02/12/12
avengedtbs
May your music break my eardrums
User Info.
And So I Watch You From Afar - Set Guitars to Kill. Powerful opener that was not only a vast improvement over earlier efforts, but really set the tone for the entire album. Wouldve been my AOTY that year but Caspian slightly outdid them with Tertia.
11:55 AM on 02/12/12
avengedtbs
User Info.
Also The King is Dead - A Wilhelm Scream cause it just flat out melts my face off
11:57 AM on 02/12/12
cwhit412
User Info.
And So I Watch You From Afar - Set Guitars to Kill. Powerful opener that was not only a vast improvement over earlier efforts, but really set the tone for the entire album. Wouldve been my AOTY that year but Caspian slightly outdid them with Tertia.
Oh fuck, forgot about that one.
That song is fucking incredible. One of my favorite instrumental tracks, easily.
Holly HoX!
User Info.
The Stokes - "Is This It?"
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
I just recently listened to "There's No Secrets This Year" by Silversun Pickups and thought it's a perfect opener. Energetic, catchy, and very solid.
12:00 PM on 02/12/12
Fowdall
User Info.
I'm about to go out so I'll just list a couple of my favourites and come back later and add more probably.

44 Caliber Love Letter - Alexisonfire - Alexisonfire
Tilde - Touche Amore - Parting the Sea Between Brightness and Me
The Truth of a Lair - August Burns Red - Messengers
And the Hero Will Drown - Story of the Year - Page Avenue
The After Dinner Payback - From Autumn to Ashes - The Fiction We Live
Different World - Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
This Side of Brightness/Old Hymns - Funeral for a Friend - Welcome Home Armageddon
Shinobi vs Dragon Ninja - Lostprophets - The Fake Sound of Progress

That was way more than I was originally gonna post... :/
12:03 PM on 02/12/12
seanzor
Not a ghostologist
User Info.
Fucked Up's "Son the Father" from Chemistry of a Common Life. The flute into the building guitars and then into that scream. The amount of things going on in this song pretty much let you know what the fuck you're in for on this album.
12:03 PM on 02/12/12
avengedtbs
User Info.
I could probably add another 50 songs to the 2 I've already mentioned, it just hit me that album openers tend to be my favorite songs.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests