09:56 AM on 02/14/12
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
Phenomenal album, one if the best of 2012 so far
10:01 AM on 02/14/12
xburningcoffin
User Info.
Definitely, the similarities to La Dispute are sort of tangential. That inclusion was kind of my way of saying not to dismiss this as some sort of hipster bullshit or whatever. I feel like if this were being released on a label like No Sleep, it would be a huge fan favorite around here. I do believe that La Dispute is the best modern analog for Fugazi and the old Dischord scene, and thought that would be a much more familiar reference for most readers.
definitely understand why u would reference la dispute, the hipster effect will kill some of the fanbase, but they have had that hipster slogan all along. i'm excited to hear what they do next because this record is too short and has alot of promise....i want to reiterate that the nirvana reference is a good thing, not enough bands sound like nirvana in a good way that claim to and this one continues to grow, just wish it was longer
10:42 AM on 02/14/12
blebbio
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
lol at la dispute in the riyl.
11:50 AM on 02/14/12
low_rising
Registered Member
User Info.
love this album to death, such an improvement compared to their past work. Also the review is seriously spot on, this album seriously caught me off guard.
03:31 PM on 02/14/12
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
lol at la dispute in the riyl.
it makes sense why La Dispute would be in the RIYL on a site like this. cloud nothings may be a hell of a lot better than la dispute, but on this site that RIYL will get a lot more people to check this out.
03:50 PM on 02/14/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Separation and No Sentiment are the JAMS, as is this entire album. I picked it up on vinyl today, one of my best purchases this year, you all should do the same.

great review Jeremy!
04:42 PM on 02/14/12
Nuns On A Bus
Hobson's Choice
User Info.
i really found their self-titled to be, for lack of a better word, annoying. there was something about the voice and the spastic nature that i just couldn't handle. but this has been getting so much universal praise that i feel like i'm doing myself a disservice by not trying this one out. think i'll do that now!
I thought the last album from Cloud Nothings was mostly garbage with only one or two songs even worth listening to, but this is far and away the best album I've heard this year. So definitely give it a shot!
05:35 PM on 02/14/12
Shinobi1791
HAPPY HOLIDAYS, YOU BASTARDS!
User Info.
Brilliant album. Came across the band while looking for some new rock music to listen to and it's the sort of thing i've been looking for.
05:42 PM on 02/14/12
nickstetina
User Info.
Separation and No Sentiment are the JAMS, as is this entire album. I picked it up on vinyl today, one of my best purchases this year, you all should do the same. great review Jeremy!

My buddy just picked this up on vinyl. We decided we were going to just play words with friends on our phone while spinning the record and act completely uninterested.

( "Steve Albini played Scrabble on Facebook almost the entire time [we were recording]. I don't even know if he remembers what our album sounds like." http://pitchfork.com/news/45065-clou...roduced-album/ )
11:50 PM on 02/14/12
hotsoftlight
to here knows when
User Info.
i expected to love this, but not nearly as impressed by this album as most of my friends. i like it but don't think it's amazing. great great review though, man! you've always been my favorite staff on ap and normally i agree with your shit, so i'm probably gonna give this a few more listens
12:37 AM on 02/15/12
Gumbyjag
Everything Evil
User Info.
Was really impressed by this.
04:44 AM on 02/15/12
NotebookMusic
www.notebooklives.com
User Info.
No doubt. This album SOUNDS so much like In Utero it's not even funny. I've listened through the album probably a dozen times, but I know it take longer to actually love this one.
I was hoping that I wasn't the only person that heard a big Nirvana influence.

This album is filthy, though. Definitely one of my favorites thus far.
05:43 AM on 02/15/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I was hoping that I wasn't the only person that heard a big Nirvana influence.

This album is filthy, though. Definitely one of my favorites thus far.

I meant sonically, the way it was recorded. Not influenced. This sounds pole it was influenced from The Wipers.
06:04 AM on 02/15/12
NotebookMusic
www.notebooklives.com
User Info.
I meant sonically, the way it was recorded. Not influenced. This sounds pole it was influenced from The Wipers.
That's pretty much what I'm saying. The "vibe" of the album reminded me of Nirvana.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests