Username
Password

09:51 PM on 02/17/12 
User Info.
Regards
The Silver Shore
Wisconsin
Male - 26 Years Old
Did the guy in this article really say that at 19 years old he's no longer impressionable? Did I read that right?
10:03 PM on 02/17/12 
User Info.
thesafeword
-
Portland, OR
Male
I'm actually pretty surprised that this guy's rant didn't get posted as news.
11:13 PM on 02/17/12 
User Info.
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
Wright City, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
Smh at people defending shitty promoters. Just because they're a reality doesn't mean you have to accept them.

I never said I agreed with shitty promoters nor am I defending them. I just think the kid could of handled this a lot more constructively, instead of writing a whiny, long winded rant that achieves nothing.
12:40 AM on 02/18/12 
User Info.
mrnubnub
Philly
Male
I love this kind of attitude

but then I remember no one wants to listen to shitty music
And as great as music scene solidarity is, buying tickets/taking financial hits for an at best weak copy of TWY/FYS/MO/whatever (I name how pop punk because this where the attitude is most predominant it seems) is illogical

It's a shame, because while I know how shitty it is for a local band here in the Philly/South Jersey scene and theres a lot of scumbags who are basically just extracting money from an extended group of friends, I can never offer full support because in the end it's how the industry works

Now what really pisses me off are when genuine douche bags in genuinely shitty bands aimed at getting girls break out, and get a higher spot in the industry food chain then a hardworking band that at least have potential as a small time 4th/5th slot on a tour
03:04 AM on 02/18/12 
User Info.
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
Nashville, Tennessee
Male - 24 Years Old
Did the guy in this article really say that at 19 years old he's no longer impressionable? Did I read that right?

That honestly was my favorite part. Thank God this kid that really gets it came along, right?
06:18 AM on 02/18/12 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Palm Coast, FL
Male - 27 Years Old
Maybe not, but he's no longer impressionable.

Isn't that a Set Your Goals lyric or something? About being a grown up now, and no longer being impressionable?
06:43 AM on 02/18/12 
User Info.
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
Isn't that a Set Your Goals lyric or something? About being a grown up now, and no longer being impressionable?
That would make it even lulzier, mostly because it would mean he is still clearly impressionable.
07:10 AM on 02/18/12 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Palm Coast, FL
Male - 27 Years Old
That would make it even lulzier, mostly because it would mean he is still clearly impressionable.

I knew it;
'well not today. not anymore. this is us growing up.
still young, but no longer impressionable
we have come to pillage.
we have come to burn.
we have come to incite the riot.
we have come to take it over!'

Woo hoo! MUTINY!! Burn it all for pop-punk!
07:16 AM on 02/18/12 
User Info.
Regards
The Silver Shore
Wisconsin
Male - 26 Years Old
That honestly was my favorite part. Thank God this kid that really gets it came along, right?
The whole time I'm reading that I'm like, "Dude, I'm 23 and I don't see myself not being impressionable anytime soon!"
09:20 AM on 02/18/12 
User Info.
x togepi x
Fake Punk Fan
Male - 28 Years Old
Not to pile onto a mostly dead thread but has anyone pointed out that this band is complaining about something literally every band in existence has had to deal with? If these dudes really care about passion or whatever overwrought concept they're currently pushing as sincere, they'd pick up a book like Our Band Could Be Your Life and recognize how bands like Black Flag or Mission of Burma dealt with the same shit. Instead of writing a tryhard manifesto about shitty promoters, just warn your friends not to play those shows or support those people.

Word gets around and that does a whole lot more actual good "in the scene" than posturing about how you're going to save it.

Yea, I think what bugs me the most about when kids do stuff like this is their own douchebaggery goes way over their heads. The sooner the "we have so much heart and we're totally realer than you... And so are our friends!" thing ends, the better. I'm confused as to how that became so closely tied in with pop punk to begin with.

I suspect it's because a lot of people have deluded themselves into thinking pop punk is something more than just another form of accessible music so they started creating faux-macho stances defending something that nobody who isn't an insecure asshole would feel the need to defend in the first place. I suspect a lot of those people secretly wish they could get into punk/hardcore but for whatever reason didn't.

plus ever since green day and blink 182 got famous, there's always been a rather large bro contingent in pop punk fans.
09:27 AM on 02/18/12 
User Info.
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
New, Mexico
Male - 26 Years Old
^^ nailed it all

/thread
10:42 AM on 02/18/12 
User Info.
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
Nashville, Tennessee
Male - 24 Years Old

Haha yea, as soon as I read it I lost what little hope I had for the OP.
10:42 AM on 02/18/12 
User Info.
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
Nashville, Tennessee
Male - 24 Years Old
Not to pile onto a mostly dead thread but has anyone pointed out that this band is complaining about something literally every band in existence has had to deal with? If these dudes really care about passion or whatever overwrought concept they're currently pushing as sincere, they'd pick up a book like Our Band Could Be Your Life and recognize how bands like Black Flag or Mission of Burma dealt with the same shit. Instead of writing a tryhard manifesto about shitty promoters, just warn your friends not to play those shows or support those people.

Word gets around and that does a whole lot more actual good "in the scene" than posturing about how you're going to save it.

I suspect it's because a lot of people have deluded themselves into thinking pop punk is something more than just another form of accessible music so they started creating faux-macho stances defending something that nobody who isn't an insecure asshole would feel the need to defend in the first place. I suspect a lot of those people secretly wish they could get into punk/hardcore but for whatever reason didn't.

plus ever since green day and blink 182 got famous, there's always been a rather large bro contingent in pop punk fans.

I think you nailed it dude.
11:03 AM on 02/18/12 
User Info.
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
Wright City, MO
Male - 26 Years Old

Nailed it on both points.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version