Username
Password

Comments: Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 165 of 504
11:03 PM on 02/28/12
iamthealex
Meet me in Montauk.
User Info.
I never really got into Soul Punk, and FUCT will always be my favorite FOB record, but I guess I respect him/them for their ambition, or at least acknowledging the fact that they're not the same people they were from 2002-2005.
11:03 PM on 02/28/12
Zack Haughton
The song that goes like danananana
User Info.
Also, Folie a Deux was amazing, I own it in several formats, I love it, I have the vinyl hanging on my wall. But it is not the best Fall Out Boy album. It could be your favorite, but it's certainly not the best.

Doesn't deserve anything but praise though.
11:04 PM on 02/28/12
fearthesloths
blown from the hinge
User Info.
dear patrick,

throw away your computer or any other piece of technology you own that spits out the internet. ride a bike, write a story, play music, help others learn to play music, volunteer as much as you can, catch up with old friends, and start enjoying life as a monumentally talented individual. it's a gift, not a burden.

long time fan,

kyle

this.

while it sucks that people have been shitty toward him he has to brush it off. he's a really talented songwriter and has had a really good run in the music industry, better than most people who have a go at music. if its over now then he needs to move on with his life and not dwell on the haters. things never stay the same but if I had lived the past 10 years like he had then I'd be stoked on all the things I'd done.

I'd hate to see him quit music because I've been a big FOB fan for years and all of their albums, but you can't let shit like that consume your life.
11:10 PM on 02/28/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
This actually made me think to put Soul Punk back on and I think I like it more now than when it came out, even.
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
The man wrote 'Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes' and '(Coffee's For Closers).' That's a fucking free pass for life.
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
easy, killer. because i've defended him for his entire career from people who said that he was what he has now become.
He does not need you to defend him. He is an artist releasing music he feels is right. If you like it congratulations. If not well than sorry. Do I think Soul Punk is the greatest thing ever...no but I don't hate it nor do I think it is of any less value to Patrick Stump than any fall out boy album. Stop trying to act like he owes you something or he became something. He choose to explore new ventures of music and if that is not to your liking than so be it. Don't jump at the throat of an artist doing what he choose. Soul Punk is not a product of the mainstream but a product of a man who enjoys pop and wanted to show the world how its done. Patrick Stump is one of my favorite musicians. I love every fall out boy album and parts of Soul Punk. He could write a straight up hip hop or country record and I would still respect him even if I did not listen to the albums. A real artist owes nothing to anyone but him or herself.
11:15 PM on 02/28/12
LastDeclaration
mmm tasty
User Info.
He does not need you to defend him. He is an artist releasing music he feels is right. If you like it congratulations. If not well than sorry. Do I think Soul Punk is the greatest thing ever...no but I don't hate it nor do I think it is of any less value to Patrick Stump than any fall out boy album. Stop trying to act like he owes you something or he became something. He choose to explore new ventures of music and if that is not to your liking than so be it. Don't jump at the throat of an artist doing what he choose. Soul Punk is not a product of the mainstream but a product of a man who enjoys pop and wanted to show the world how its done. Patrick Stump is one of my favorite musicians. I love every fall out boy album and parts of Soul Punk. He could write a straight up hip hop or country record and I would still respect him even if I did not listen to the albums. A real artist owes nothing to anyone but him or herself.
great, and i think it's a piece of shit. you're really just dealing with semantics here. it pisses me off that he made a fucking terrible album. that's it. sorry if that makes you butthurt for him.
11:17 PM on 02/28/12
WeWereGiants
Cold hands, Lips blue
User Info.
I love FAD. I love Soul Punk. I feel really bad for
Patrick as I never really can support him living in Australia, if he did a tour here I would sing along to every word. The dude is talented and should just do what his heart tells him too.
11:18 PM on 02/28/12
dmryan33
dmryan33
User Info.
The man wrote 'Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes' and '(Coffee's For Closers).' That's a fucking free pass for life.
word. my two favorite songs off that cd
11:22 PM on 02/28/12
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
great, and i think it's a piece of shit. you're really just dealing with semantics here. it pisses me off that he made a fucking terrible album. that's it. sorry if that makes you butthurt for him.
You may not like it and may be all butt hurt but that does not make him less of an artist. He did a solo project purposely separate from the Fall Out Boy name. It actually was rather successful and he worked hard on it. You call it a piece of shit and I say that nobody really cares. If it pisses you off that he did not make an album you like than you need to re-read this statement because you are a prime example of why a talented man like Patrick Stump wakes up depressed sometimes. You can dislike an album and still respect the artist. Not everything requires being a kid.
11:27 PM on 02/28/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Here's my question: would you act this way to Patrick's face? With such bluntness and lack of respect?
You mention you respect him - you couldn't tell that from the way you speak about him. Would you want someone saying those things about you?

I do think he needs a bit of a pep talk, and needs to learn that the 10% of negativity shouldn't outweigh the 90% support he receives - but again, you displaying your opinions this way is another example of his point, and is just unnecessary.
11:33 PM on 02/28/12
The MixChange
The MixChange
User Info.
Early in high school, I had two friends who were obsessed with Fall Out Boy. I didn't like them and bashed them whenever I got the chance. I was 15 and stupid. We saw them open (yes, open) for Less Than Jake and my mind changed a bit. "From Under the Cork Tree" came out and the songs got stuck in my head. I revisited "Take This to Your Grave" and between the two I found something both fun and heartfelt, even if it wasn't what usually struck a chord for me. I enjoyed it, and try as I might to resist it, it was undeniably good.

"Infinity On High" came out and I wasn't hooked. I really liked a few songs and ignored the others. I never really heard much of "Folie a Deux," and by that point I didn't care much. I still love the old stuff, but I was already at the age where walking around bashing someone's creation wasn't really my thing (I still do it sometimes. Can't help it. Some things evoke that reaction).

As a musician, and as someone who has loved music for a long time, I can say I've reached a point in my life where I find it unnecessary to go around tearing down what other people create. I know I'm still guilty of it sometimes. It's easy (especially on the internet) to get caught in a mob mentality and just agree with how shitty we think something is. The truth is we all have different tastes, and someone somewhere likes those songs. There's an audience for them, even if that audience can't fill an arena. Our tastes also change, and just because we like someone's old work better than their new work doesn't give us the right to say it's not of equal quality. Quality in music is all relative.

The point is he is someone who puts himself into his music. The business isn't easy and you'll never please everybody. When it comes to being human, we have to be able to please ourselves and do what's best for us. This is an honest confession from someone who isn't doing so well right now. You don't have to pity him for his success or pity him because people don't like his music anymore. But realize he's a person who has given his years to entertainment, and is now left with few other options because of who he is (he mentions the notoriety). Many of us can't imagine the downsides of that life.

I haven't even heard his solo music. I don't really have an interest. But I respect that he's making it and that he's trying to do what he needs to do for himself. I respect the things he's created, even if I've made fun of them myself. I wouldn't want to feel that way either.
11:34 PM on 02/28/12
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
Hanson disappeared from the public eye for years, worked incredibly hard to rebuild a grassroots fanbase and STILL had morons heckling them to "play 'Mmmmmbop'" at Bamboozle. People just blow.

Yeah there will always be those people, and God knows every time I try to get someone into their newer stuff they just laugh at me and mention Mmmbop, but they seem to love what they do and are in a good place. Patrick seems like the kind of guy who would prefer the intimate club setting to big stadiums anyway. It's just the transitioning period for him I think is really rough, and the negative people aren't helping. It must feel awful to be one of the biggest bands out there to becoming a punchline and pigeon-holed as 'the guy from that emo band.' Hopefully he can move on from the negatitvity and can find happiness doing what he loves.

easy, killer. because i've defended him for his entire career from people who said that he was what he has now become.

Genuinely curious, but what has he become? He seems like the same guy he started out as.
11:38 PM on 02/28/12
SwedishHeat
back in the van
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It just reinforces how mean people can be, it's not just people on the Internet, it's people in general, any sort of service industry. I've worked in a customer service-related position for nearly all of my adult life and the negative things people say to you in person, over the phone, in an email, whatever. . . it's really just an expression of how frustrated and angry those people are in their own lives.

It's an old phrase that's been adapted in a few different ways, but it takes years to create something and only a minute to tear it down.
11:39 PM on 02/28/12
lissalynn
We are the music makers
User Info.

For what it's worth, I still get chills every time I hear Thriller.

Indeed.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version