04:24 AM on 02/29/12
mattyrocks
User Info.
silly haters.
04:24 AM on 02/29/12
bencoles
twitter.com/bencoles_
User Info.
Very sad. For one of the best voices around to say he doesn't want to perform live anytime soon is a loss.
04:28 AM on 02/29/12
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
If someone told me they liked me better when I was fat I would knock them outside their head. Not liking his music is one thing despite how rude some of the fans he has mentioned were but to wish someone be fat is insane. Loosing weight is not an easy task so that is just something else this man excels at. As much as I think Folie could be my favorite album of all time (It literally is an album I can never grow old of) I think Patrick has his life more in check these days. If Fall Out Boy ever does make a reunion I hope he brings with him the confidence that lead to Soul Punk. It was not exactly my thing but to make a pop album like that stand out so much and all the effort he put into it. I would love to have a FOB album booming with that much confidence and the lyrical strengths of both Pete and Patrick. I bet the follow up to Folie could be near god damn perfect if they pushed the bar a little further up.
04:32 AM on 02/29/12
mbao
I'm on the up and up.
User Info.
If you love an actor you have to enjoy every movie they do. I think the same could be said here for me.
wtf no
04:34 AM on 02/29/12
vincelac
... and team Lucabomb can never die
User Info.
http://www.metacritic.com/music/folie-a-deux

http://www.metacritic.com/music/infinity-on-high

only two on metacritic, but both very positive scores. i wanna hug skinny stump.
04:36 AM on 02/29/12
Protested Hero
Jon
User Info.
Wait, what?

I had no idea that Folie a Deux was hated on. I love the hell out of that album; in my eyes, it rivals TTTYG...and that's saying a lot from me.
04:45 AM on 02/29/12
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Yeah so that shit kinda tore me up. While the FOB records meant so much to me, people should really just get over it. Yes, Soul Punk is way different. I like some of it, don't like some of it. I donno...I guess I always thought Patrick deserved so much more respect than he got. While Pete was being Pete (I guess I don't mean that in a good way or a bad way) Patrick seemed to be presenting the music in a relatable way to everyone that wasn't 14. I think he'll be great regardless...just sad to see all these assholes get to him.

For what it's worth, I still get chills every time I hear Thriller.
Figured I'd see you here.
04:47 AM on 02/29/12
ChrisCanberg
User Info.
HOW THE FUCK CAN ANYONE HATE FOLIE A DEUX??!!!! That just seems unreal to me! That album was amazing. FOB is definitely a great example that got better and better with each release. Just assholes don't appreciate shit cause its not pop punk enough.

And yes, I have gone from being sad to angry
When I first read this that was my first question. I could have sworn that album was so universally liked. How couldn't it be? Just listen to it. It's my favorite album of all time and one that I will be playing all over again.

I read this and was heartbroken. To hear about all of this is seriously scary not just for fans of his, but for people about to get into this business. This is an example of how cruel people can be. After listening to Soul Punk, I thought it was so good, it would inevitably blow up and it'd be a new beginning for him. I'm really sorry to see that I wasn't entirely right.

I love Patrick Stump and I owe who I am as a person to him.
04:47 AM on 02/29/12
ffadam
Heaven Sent
User Info.
Hope that he's still utilising his incredible voice while not performing live. I think what Patrick needs is good people around him and maybe that's what kept this sort of thing getting to him in Fall Out Boy when he had the other guys to shoulder the burden with him (if it was getting to them). I just feel incredibly bad reading this, I really like Fall Out Boy and I think TTTYG is great but it's not my favourite and I've never understood other than an emotional connection and a feeling of 'at the time', how you could think that album is better than the albums that followed musically or Patrick vocally then I don't get it. If he needs this time, he can get it. The guys worked hard and is dedicated and to anyone looking up to him and getting inspired because of him, at least he's giving out those qualities.

But if he'll let us, I imagine there'd be plenty of people willing to book him for house shows for him to rediscover the love he does have for music that has just wavered.
04:49 AM on 02/29/12
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
eWhat a shitty way to start my morning, hearing that the lead singer of my favorite band has gone through so much shit that he's considering leaving the music industry.

And I can't speak for other cities but the three times I saw Stump solo in Chicago it seemed like the crowds loved him, but that's just one audience member's view.

As much as it crushes me to say this, if the tradeoff was Patrick never sings another TTTYG song but he keeps making music for the next 20 years, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
04:51 AM on 02/29/12
NotebookMusic
www.notebooklives.com
User Info.
It sucks that people had to run him off like that, man. Patrick Stump's a great artist, and I don't feel as if he deserves the backlash at all. This is kind of new to me to be honest. I didn't know that so many people had hate for him.
04:53 AM on 02/29/12
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
eWhat a shitty way to start my morning, hearing that the lead singer of my favorite band has gone through so much shit that he's considering leaving the music industry.

And I can't speak for other cities but the three times I saw Stump solo in Chicago it seemed like the crowds loved him, but that's just one audience member's view.

As much as it crushes me to say this, if the tradeoff was Patrick never sings another TTTYG song but he keeps making music for the next 20 years, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
I honestly love all their albums so as much as I would love to hear TTTYG songs I would be alright if they did not play them considering that was the trade off like you said. Hell I would go to a set of just Folie songs imo. I loved each record they released differently. They all came at a good time but also lasted very well. I did not like Infinity On High for a while after it came out but that grew on me quick. I can say without a shadow of a doubt Folie is my personal favorite. I can't believe people disrespected him and that album. I would do anything to see them live for any song of any album and people who have had the chance have had the audacity to act that way. Worst kinds of fans.
05:09 AM on 02/29/12
ReadyForAction
life in the greenhouse effect
User Info.

I would as far as saying that I wouldn't mind him never playing FOB songs again. As much as I absolutely adore each album, it means more to me that he is happy with where he is in his life. If writing solo material makes him happy, then I back it 110%.
05:11 AM on 02/29/12
caraeryn
Hey, got any grapes?
User Info.
It's a shame he feels this way. It's a shame 'pseudo-fans' make him feel this way.
It was a very good read though.
05:19 AM on 02/29/12
ACA
pm if you want to meet at Riot-Chi
User Info.
Patrick, if you're reading, everything you've done AFTER Take This To Your Grave is better than that 2003 record (which, in full disclosure, I think is pretty shitty).

Sounds like a bit of "celebrity life" took over you for awhile (likely through no fault of your own, that's how "celebrity culture" works), and, now that the media/paparazzi/mainstream doesn't have their big hits anymore, you're just a turd (to them). That's unfair, but, unfortunately, you're not the first, nor the last, to be a part of this "one hit wonder" style.

Look how much HATE someone like Snookie (spelling?) gets.. all for acting on a TV show. She's making her dreams come true, and getting blown up left and right for it. That's unfortunate, but it's the celebrity culture that eats people up, let's them feel "great" for a while, and then shits them out.

I wish you well.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News