Username
Password

07:54 PM on 03/08/12 
User Info.
ctmk
Get him a cranberry juice
Guess, CA
Male
I though this would be a good way to get some burning questions I, and perhaps some others, have regarding the music industry, answered. Googling is easier but I feel that it would be a cool and fun thing to do around the site, if an FAQ is asked and answered by the AP.net community and the band members that lurk. This could be a weekly thing or monthly... Im just spitballing here, gauging interest.

And if anyone would like to answer my question: What is it that a producer does in regards to an album? Is it like a director with a film or am I completely off base?
07:57 PM on 03/08/12 
User Info.
frwushen
No Avatar Selected
I can't answer your question, but I want to say is the copyright issues are good solve, especially the Chinese
08:55 PM on 03/08/12 
User Info.
bradsonemanband
Change To Fire/Cootie Catcher
Provo, UT
Male - 28 Years Old
I though this would be a good way to get some burning questions I, and perhaps some others, have regarding the music industry, answered. Googling is easier but I feel that it would be a cool and fun thing to do around the site, if an FAQ is asked and answered by the AP.net community and the band members that lurk. This could be a weekly thing or monthly... Im just spitballing here, gauging interest.

And if anyone would like to answer my question: What is it that a producer does in regards to an album? Is it like a director with a film or am I completely off base?

from what i understand, i believe the "producer" helps the band focus and enhances their songs by giving their own thoughts and opinions on the actual music. kind of like a "secret band member leader."

so basically, like... the band records demos of songs that they want to use for an album. then, the producer says yay or nay to each song, and then helps the band tighten the songs and make the band record the best possible takes for each one. they just push the band and the band's songs to make them the best that they can be.

that's my interpretation of what a producer does. but i could be totally off, or missing important elements.
09:05 PM on 03/08/12 
User Info.
zephyrsong12345
solitary WEASEL
How totally impossible would it be these days (or in the next few years) to get a decent job as a music journalist type thing? Trying to gauge whether or not to SHOOT FOR THA STARS.
09:34 PM on 03/08/12 
User Info.
theskycouldfly
Bluth Family
No Avatar Selected
Los Angeles,Ca
Male - 27 Years Old
my 'day job' a producer is...

i help my clients get solid performances out. make the record a whole and help with their overall vision. i don't write songs for them, dont tell them to re write stuff. i just say what is good and what is shit. im basically a cheerlead, coach, a manager all in one. i spend very little time engineering if the band are good performers.

-ryan kojan
www.ryankojan.com
09:56 PM on 03/08/12 
User Info.
Parrish416
No Avatar Selected
Female - 25 Years Old
This could be a weekly thing or monthly... Im just spitballing here, gauging interest.
10:01 PM on 03/08/12 
User Info.
ctmk
Get him a cranberry juice
Guess, CA
Male
How totally impossible would it be these days (or in the next few years) to get a decent job as a music journalist type thing? Trying to gauge whether or not to SHOOT FOR THA STARS.

i can actually answer this, though not in specific terms. It depends what you want to do, magazines and newspapers etc., are always looking for reviewers for albums and concerts. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a placement considering the vast number of publications out there, but the pay..... Moving right along, if you are looking to be a profiler a la Rolling Stone, this field is highly competitive for obvious reasons. The upside is though, it is not always about pedigree, a lot of writers for Rolling Stone do not have traditional journalistic training. Instead, they have good voices and are almost always personable. So you don't have to have an expensive degree to get that job, but it couldn't hurt. But, the future is in blogs and websites like this. Bands are finding it easier to let fans in at their level rather than through a mediator like a journalist, who could mince and twist words. Look at the exclusives that AP.net or Property of Zach get.
Sorry for the long reply but getting a "decent" position is going to be very competitive but not impossible. But I would suggest starting a blog on your own.
10:36 PM on 03/08/12 
User Info.
SkateFirm21
on the brightside, she could choke.
PA
Male - 24 Years Old
Our producer would give us suggestions like if the tempo of the song should be faster/slower and then added effect some of our shit.
05:33 AM on 03/09/12 
User Info.
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
How long until the industry isn't a thing anymore?
12:46 AM on 03/10/12 
User Info.
avery041993
No Avatar Selected
Austin, TX
Male - 21 Years Old
How long until the industry isn't a thing anymore?

AAhhh how could you say that? Its sad to think about that, and it makes me want to take the hard drives of every person who downloads music illegally and shoot them to the moon.
01:31 AM on 03/10/12 
User Info.
thesafeword
-
Portland, OR
Male
bomb the music industry y'all
06:16 AM on 03/10/12 
User Info.
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
AAhhh how could you say that? Its sad to think about that, and it makes me want to take the hard drives of every person who downloads music illegally and shoot them to the moon.
You don't need an industry for music man, and some change is gonna come to make it better than it is now for people who make music. Rough transition period tho.
12:03 PM on 03/10/12 
User Info.
cshadows2887
Boston, MA
Male - 27 Years Old
Verified
The role of producer varies greatly depending on the band, the producer and their respective success levels.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets