Password

Album Review

I Call Fives - Someone That's Not You Album Cover

I Call Fives - Someone That's Not You

Reviewed by
I Call Fives - Someone That's Not You
Record Label: Pure Noise
Release Date: March 20, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Serving as a precursor to its debut full-length due out this summer, the Someone That’s Not You EP from I Call Fives proves to be a perfect move for a band that isn’t as well-known as it should be. Since the release of the Bad Advice EP, it’s been obvious to many that I Call Fives was onto something, and Someone That’s Not You should gain enough new ears on the band’s sound that hype for the upcoming full-length should be even greater.

If you happen to just be stumbling on I Call Fives for the first time, you’ll find yourself in a good place. Truthfully, this EP is not a bad way to start listening to this group. The opening title track shows you everything you need to know about IC5, from the easy-to-listen-to guitar hooks to the big choruses that make up most of the band’s catalog. When Jeff Todd breaks into the chorus of, “I’ll be looking for something / I’ll be searching for someone / Someone that’s not you,” over a brilliant guitar melody, you’ll probably find yourself wanting to sing along before you can even memorize the words. The punk part of the pop-punk isn’t lost either, as gang vocals and a yelling-ish part meander into the track on a couple of occasions.

“Lakeview” starts out with an acoustic guitar, and the toned-down atmosphere really highlights Todd’s vocals. It’s easy to bring forward fond memories of Alex Gaskarth on All Time Low’s “Remembering Sunday” when Todd sings, “I’m losing sleep again / And I’m constantly reminded of the times that we tried to be friends / You never cared / So where were you when no one else was there?” More Gaskarth/All Time Low comparisons will surface as I Call Fives continues to make a name for itself on Pure Noise Records, and to a certain extent, isn’t a song like the amped-up, closing cover of Third Eye Blind's “How’s It Gonna Be” more or less what ATL's music would sound like today if they still played good pop-punk?

Someone That’s Not You works on both ends of the equation. Not only do current fans get four awesome new jams to head-bob to, but I Call Fives gets to drum up some extra positive attention for its rapidly approaching first LP, which I am anticipating more and more each time I listen to this EP. It’s good to see a respectable band of New Jerseyans making a name for itself the right way.

7/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34
10:47 PM on 03/13/12
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hopefully they don't follow in ATL's footsteps.
11:24 PM on 03/13/12
butrfli1234
I'M ON FIRE
User Info.
Sounds like old school All Time Low? I'm interested...
11:27 PM on 03/13/12
laxcrs
Fuck what you know!
User Info.
bad advice and gives bad advice still get regular plays from me so im looking forward to this
12:29 AM on 03/14/12
punchlinekid182
This wind changed me
User Info.
bad advice and gives bad advice still get regular plays from me so im looking forward to this
samesies
02:43 AM on 03/14/12
Chris_FirstTime
Spineless Yes Men
User Info.
" isn’t a song like the closing “How’s It Gonna Be” more or less exactly what ATL would sound like today if they still played good pop-punk?"

Isn't that their Third Eye Blind cover?!
03:10 AM on 03/14/12
WeWereGiants
Cold hands, Lips blue
User Info.
Great RIYL. With The Punches are one of the best bands out, I enjoy IC5's too so if this even has a hint of PUOSU/WTP in it I will be in heaven.
03:12 AM on 03/14/12
birtcho
is...
User Info.
I've dug everything these guys have done so far
05:10 AM on 03/14/12
MJSchmidt
Hang 'em high or not at all
User Info.
I cannot wait to hear this. Even though I do prefer their full band recordings, I hope they continue to release acoustic stuff as well. I feel like I Call Fives gives me a similar feeling like Yellowcard does in the sense I am just as interested in hearing their stuff acoustic as I am the full band. I would say the lead singer's voice is a big part of why I feel that way.
06:20 AM on 03/14/12
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
" isn’t a song like the closing “How’s It Gonna Be” more or less exactly what ATL would sound like today if they still played good pop-punk?"

Isn't that their Third Eye Blind cover?!
Can't tell if Tommy's trolling or implying All Time Low would ever resemble Third Eye Blind's self-titled era. Quite the insult to "Losing a Whole Year".
08:38 AM on 03/14/12
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
With that description, I'm gonna have to check this out.
08:58 AM on 03/14/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I had no idea that was a cover. Hang on a sec.
08:58 AM on 03/14/12
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Excited to check this out! Love all the songs I've heard so far. Still need to pre-order as well
09:03 AM on 03/14/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Can't tell if Tommy's trolling or implying All Time Low would ever resemble Third Eye Blind's self-titled era. Quite the insult to "Losing a Whole Year".
Not what I wrote at all - and I stand by what I meant. That 3EB song (which I've heard dozens of times and didn't recognize) is changed up a good amount by IC5 on their cover of it. I think musically it still resembles how ATL would sound if they had continued the trend of Put Up or Shut Up to So Wrong It's Right.

"More Gaskarth/All Time Low comparisons will surface as I Call Fives continues to make a name for itself on Pure Noise Records, and to a certain extent, isn’t a song like the amped-up, closing cover of Third Eye Blind's “How’s It Gonna Be” more or less what ATL's music would sound like today if they still played good pop-punk?"
09:41 AM on 03/14/12
untitled94
User Info.
Thanks for the review Thomas!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News