Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 38
03:35 PM on 04/08/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Sucks for them, but the lack of police involvement is questionable.

...there is police involvement.
03:36 PM on 04/08/12
culpritzach
I play bass in culprit
User Info.
the police is looking into everything now and did in fact meet us at the tow yard. The company did not have any documentation (business registration/permits/etc) present & the police are awaiting an alleged copy of their business license via fax. Even if the business is operating illegally, all the police can do is ticket them. In order for us to address this, we have to file a claim with the BBB (for which we have also found several similar claims with for the same issues) and if nothing comes from that, then legal action will be taken.
03:39 PM on 04/08/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
the police is looking into everything now and did in fact meet us at the tow yard. The company did not have any documentation (business registration/permits/etc) present & the police are awaiting an alleged copy of their business license via fax. Even if the business is operating illegally, all the police can do is ticket them. In order for us to address this, we have to file a claim with the BBB (for which we have also found several similar claims with for the same issues) and if nothing comes from that, then legal action will be taken.
What? The BBB should have nothing to do with this ... they are not a legal entity that can do shit for you. The Better Business Bureau is not affiliated with federal, state, or local government, and has no direct affiliation with any consumer protection government authority. The BBB, as a privately held corporation, has no governmental authority over businesses.

Call a lawyer.
03:53 PM on 04/08/12
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
...there is police involvement.

Nowhere in the statement you link in the news post is there a mention of the police. By reading their comment in the thread now I can see that's not the case, but given the facts you presented that was the obvious missing piece.
03:54 PM on 04/08/12
Ponyboy
i'm stayin gold
User Info.
I agree that they should seek better legal advice. I rather donate towards that then to pay an "illegal" towing company.
03:55 PM on 04/08/12
zachff
User Info.
What? The BBB should have nothing to do with this ... they are not a legal entity that can do shit for you. The Better Business Bureau is not affiliated with federal, state, or local government, and has no direct affiliation with any consumer protection government authority. The BBB, as a privately held corporation, has no governmental authority over businesses.

Call a lawyer.

Maybe they should call Yelp too, just to cover the bases.
03:57 PM on 04/08/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nowhere in the statement you link in the news post is there a mention of the police. By reading the comments in the thread now I can see that's not the case, but given the facts you presented that was the obvious missing piece.

I just think it was kind of a given.
03:58 PM on 04/08/12
zachff
User Info.
I just think it was kind of a given.

Except it wasn't. Either way it's a shitty situation for them.
04:03 PM on 04/08/12
I'm DC
I hope this terrifies you.
User Info.
This same situation happened to me on Tuesday. Such bullshit. I paid to park, but they still towed, and Police just said it happens and that I should find somewhere else to park. Bullshit, but what can you do. I wish I had a legion of fans to donate to me.
04:04 PM on 04/08/12
WarEagle84
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Call a lawyer.

All facts.
BBB can do NOTHING to them besides issue them BBB accreditation and revoke it. They cannot do a damn thing to get your stuff back.
Also, listen to this guy, he's trying to help.
If the police are in fact involved, and they know the business is operating illegally, what they (the towing company) did would be considered grand theft and possibly extortion as well, if they don't have a permit or license to legally operate. It would be like me stealing your van and demanding you pay $1000 to get it back. If I did I guarantee I would get more than a ticket. Something is fishy here, it doesn't add up.
Get a lawyer involved immediately, you are getting screwed over here, by not only the towing company, but the police as well, if what you are saying is true.
I'm not calling you liars, but the statements you're making don't add up.
04:19 PM on 04/08/12
fuldanips
User Info.
All facts.
BBB can do NOTHING to them besides issue them BBB accreditation and revoke it. They cannot do a damn thing to get your stuff back.
Also, listen to this guy, he's trying to help.
If the police are in fact involved, and they know the business is operating illegally, what they (the towing company) did would be considered grand theft and possibly extortion as well, if they don't have a permit or license to legally operate. It would be like me stealing your van and demanding you pay $1000 to get it back. If I did I guarantee I would get more than a ticket. Something is fishy here, it doesn't add up.
Get a lawyer involved immediately, you are getting screwed over here, by not only the towing company, but the police as well, if what you are saying is true.
I'm not calling you liars, but the statements you're making don't add up.
Understandable. We know the BBB isn't going to do anything...we were merely using that link to prove the point that we're not the only ones who have been ripped off by this company. The police are involved, but like my bandmate Zach said, the police came to the tow yard with us today and asked for the registration of the business (which is listed as inactive and administratively dissolved here, could be outdated) but the towing company said they would fax it over to the police as they didn't have a copy of it on the premises. The police officer also literally said word for word "they can charge you for pretty much anything." We're going to try to get a lawyer involved but after being down and out almost a grand, it's difficult right at the moment. And of course the entire thing is far from home which makes it even harder to pursue legally as my best guess would be we'll have to represent ourselves in the state of Oregon at a later date if we ever can find a way to take this to court.
04:24 PM on 04/08/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Understandable. We know the BBB isn't going to do anything...we were merely using that link to prove the point that we're not the only ones who have been ripped off by this company. The police are involved, but like my bandmate Zach said, the police came to the tow yard with us today and asked for the registration of the business (which is listed as inactive and administratively dissolved here, could be outdated) but the towing company said they would fax it over to the police as they didn't have a copy of it on the premises. The police officer also literally said word for word "they can charge you for pretty much anything." We're going to try to get a lawyer involved but after being down and out almost a grand, it's difficult right at the moment. And of course the entire thing is far from home which makes it even harder to pursue legally as my best guess would be we'll have to represent ourselves in the state of Oregon at a later date if we ever can find a way to take this to court.
Did you pay with a credit card or check?

I would call a lawyer (even one in your homestate if you want, to get legal advice - and they can then coordinate with someone in Oregon when the times comes). I can recommend you a good lawyer here in Portland for traffic related issues (503-675-4330) ... I don't know if they would handle this kind of case, but at the very least someone should be able to point you in the right direction. Probably not open on Easter Sunday though, I think they have a messaging service. I would assume they can point you to a lawyer that can handle your case -- at least -- if not take it themselves. Assuming your story is 100% legit.

Know this: Under Oregon law, towing companies can sign contracts with property owners for the exclusive right to patrol private lots and haul off improperly parked vehicles. Drivers, typically, are paid on commission -- the more cars they tow, the more money they make.

So, where you were parked matters.

I would stop payment on your check or credit card. If you are telling the truth, and were parked legally, and not cited by the police or in any zone that was marked as "private property" with "will be toed" signs. Get pictures of where you were parked. Stop payment on any payment you made. And contact a lawyer. If you really did not do anything wrong -- you have the legal right here, and a lawyer will probably take your case to get a % of the winnings when they sue the company for illegally towing your car.
04:30 PM on 04/08/12
TGinTexas
User Info.
I feel like Jason would do really good on jeopardy...
04:36 PM on 04/08/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
I feel like Jason would do really good on jeopardy...
Can I use Google on it? Hah.
05:37 PM on 04/08/12
anamericangod
User Info.
I wonder how this will end up. Seems a bit odd that everyone is so hands off about an "illegal business" that steals cars all the time, and yet apparently everyone in the area knows about it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos