Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

In Memorium: Adam "MCA" Yauch

Posted by: Drew Beringer (05/06/12)
This past Friday, the music scene as a whole lost a true visionary, activist, and legend in Adam "MCA" Yauch, one of the co-founders of Beastie Boys. I wrote a small afterword on the hip-hop pioneer in my blog, as well as created a playlist of some of my favorite Beastie tracks. This is the place to share your favorite videos, songs, and memories from the genre-defining hip-hop trio.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
10:55 PM on 05/06/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
06:49 AM on 05/07/12
SoundwaveUproar
Registered Member
User Info.
been spinning check your head the past few days in his memory, good call on the playlist
06:52 AM on 05/07/12
chordsforacure
Host of the Saint Mort Show!
User Info.
I keep listening to Paul's Boutique and a few days ago I wrote this.
07:00 AM on 05/07/12
Full Effect Ed
Nonstop Disco Powerpack
User Info.
It's been a tough time for me personally since Friday. MCA was always my favorite of the trio due to his style, voice, and way of life. Watching their Hall of Fame induction over the weekend was extremely tough, but at the end of the day it's where they belong and I tip my hat off to HBO for placing the "In Memory Of Adam Yauch" at the end of the broadcast.

My favorite Beasties album has been and will always be "Hello Nasty" and all weekend long I've been blaring it out of my car...my original CD that I've had since 1998 and still spinning strong. I hope everyone doesn't look at this is "an end of an era" because The Beastie Boys will NEVER end; they'll always be a part of my life and I can't wait to lay them on my daughter when she gets older because life is amazing when The Beastie Boys are providing it's soundtrack. I'll never forget watching their performances growing up on MTV and I'll never forget Adam Yauch.

Party's done, microphone's wrecked,
Wine's been drunk, and heads been checked
I see one last profiterole, I make my play
And pass the microphone to MCA
07:15 AM on 05/07/12
crutchfield
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I bought check your head on cassette as a kid because i saw it in my older cousins room so i knew it had to be cool.

I wore that cassette out. I bought it again on tape.

Cds came out so i bought it on cd. Scratched up my cd and traded a deftones cd to a friend for a good conditioned check your head cd.

Then the 180g vinyl release came out. I bought that. I listened to the album commentary multiple times.

Ive emulated their look and style from this era for years.

Rip Adam Yauch
07:41 AM on 05/07/12
saintnumberfive
Don't wake me, I plan on sleeping
User Info.
Did anyone catch the small tribute SNL did to MCA on the show? They played a clip of him during an early Beastie performance. I thought that was a super classy thing they did, imo.
08:34 AM on 05/07/12
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
This is great Drew. When I first read about his passing I was more stunned than anything, but the more I think about it and let it sink in, the more saddened I am. He was a true inspiration for people in many walks of life whether it was fans, other musicians he inspired or helped showcase/progress, his work as an activist or through his film work and I am so pleased that everyone recognises this and is paying the tribute that he deserves. RIP MCA.
08:39 AM on 05/07/12
actcidents
it's not like it was before
User Info.
This whole thing makes me so sad. Too young, too talented, too good a person. RIP MCA.
09:09 AM on 05/07/12
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
This still kills me. I always had faith that he'd beat his cancer but that's how it goes, I guess. It's hard for me to pick a favorite Beastie since they all pulled equal weight and each had their own unique styles but MCA is definitely an inspiration to me.

I admittedly didn't fully appreciate Beastie Boys music beyond their hits until a couple years ago when I got into their whole discography. Didn't take long though for them to become an absolute favorite of mine. Their music really helped me through a shitty time and helped me maintain a confident, positive outlook that I was sorely lacking at the time.

RIP Adam Yauch. Thanks for all you've done.

If others disrespect me or give me flack
I'll stop and think before I react
Knowing that they're going through insecure stages
I'll take the opportunity to exercise patience
I'll see it as a chance to help the other person
Nip it in the bud before it can worsen
09:40 AM on 05/07/12
KenneyBN
will be gone till July 2015 on mish
User Info.
He won't be forgotten. RIP.
10:12 AM on 05/07/12
runningohfive
I know...
User Info.
I've been listening to them for some time. The sad thing is I've never seen them live and I regret not doing so.

R.I.P MCA
11:17 AM on 05/07/12
deanster321
BLEGH
User Info.
I feel like a childhood friend has gone
11:21 AM on 05/07/12
collideoscopic
User Info.
The Beastie Boys have kinda been a mainstay in my life for the last 25 years. I was 11 when Licensed to Ill came out (yeah, fuckers, I know I'm old), and remember getting that tape and keeping it secret from my parents because there was a news article on how raunchy they were and my parents forbid me from listening to them. If that's not an open invitation to listen to something, I don't know what is :)

They, along with Run DMC, Eric B and Rakim, Public Enemy, NWA, EPMD, and BDP were my intro into hip-hop. Granted, I don't listen to a lot of hip-hop anymore, but when I do, I go back to these groups (aside from a very select few newer artists today).

Paul's Boutique is and will always be my favorite Beasties' record. Although I love all of their stuff (putting Check Your Head and Ill Communication just behind PB), nothing ever topped that record for me. It remains my favorite hip-hop record to this day.

Unlike most groups that stick it out this long, their quality has never really waivered. They've never been afraid to try new things, or to speak out for and against things they're really passionate about. MCA was particularly outspoken, but I never felt he was being preachy - just standing up for what he believed in.

It sucks to think we'll never get anything more from the grand trio. I could always count on somtething fresh every five years or so, and now it's no more. At least I'm glad there's a ton of material I can share with my 9- and 7-year-old boys now, and what's even more fun is that they love it and they get it.
11:39 AM on 05/07/12
Full Effect Ed
Nonstop Disco Powerpack
User Info.
The Beastie Boys have kinda been a mainstay in my life for the last 25 years. I was 11 when Licensed to Ill came out (yeah, fuckers, I know I'm old), and remember getting that tape and keeping it secret from my parents because there was a news article on how raunchy they were and my parents forbid me from listening to them. If that's not an open invitation to listen to something, I don't know what is :)

They, along with Run DMC, Eric B and Rakim, Public Enemy, NWA, EPMD, and BDP were my intro into hip-hop. Granted, I don't listen to a lot of hip-hop anymore, but when I do, I go back to these groups (aside from a very select few newer artists today).

Paul's Boutique is and will always be my favorite Beasties' record. Although I love all of their stuff (putting Check Your Head and Ill Communication just behind PB), nothing ever topped that record for me. It remains my favorite hip-hop record to this day.

Unlike most groups that stick it out this long, their quality has never really waivered. They've never been afraid to try new things, or to speak out for and against things they're really passionate about. MCA was particularly outspoken, but I never felt he was being preachy - just standing up for what he believed in.

It sucks to think we'll never get anything more from the grand trio. I could always count on somtething fresh every five years or so, and now it's no more. At least I'm glad there's a ton of material I can share with my 9- and 7-year-old boys now, and what's even more fun is that they love it and they get it.
Perfect
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums