AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

07:54 AM on 05/07/12 
User Info.
georgedcc
Seosan
Male - 23 Years Old
The music forums at the moment seem to be awash with these big threads where everybody posts what they're listening to, but nobody discusses anything, they just post and post and post, which is a shame.

We've got the what are you listening to thread, the your ipod on shuffle thread, the rate the song thread, the what albums did you spin today thread and that's just on the first page of these forums.

So I propose that we use this thread to post about what your albums you've listened to, because it seems people love doing that, BUT you have to say a bit about the albums instead of just posting saying Band name - Album name.

You don't need to write an essay or say anything revolutionary, just a few lines about if you liked the album or just anything related to that album that you want to say. It doesn't matter if this is the first time you've heard this album or the hundredth, but find something to say about it. Include a RIYL if you like. Anybody that makes a shitty post just saying the name of the album will be threadbanned! Hopefully anyway, I don't have that power unfortunately.

So, yeah this idea might die on its arse, but it's worth a try to see if we can get some decent non-band specific music talk going on in this forum.

I'll go first:

Mogwai - Come On Die Young.

A decent album, not spectacular, but pretty good nonetheless. The problem I have with it is that it was the follow up to Mogwai Young Team, which is a much better album in pretty much every single way. Come On Die Young feels a bit underwhelming and muted in comparison. The songs build up as if they are going to explode into something spectacular, but they never do and end up sort of aimlessly meandering to a halt, which is a shame. The album does have a good atmosphere and it all flows together very nicely, but there's nothing that jumps up and grabs my attention.

RIYL: Explosions In The Sky, GY!BE, This Will Destroy You, Errors.

Now, over to you, let's see if this thread takes off.
08:11 AM on 05/07/12 
User Info.
xJesusFreakx
duh please
PA
Male - 25 Years Old
Does this include last album we revisited/rediscovered, or last listened to even if we listen to it all the time? Or only first listens?
08:13 AM on 05/07/12 
User Info.
oneATEtwo
brisbane
Male - 32 Years Old
The beatles - rubber soul

been listening to the hell out of this lately.. great break up/didnt work out/chicks messing with my head album..

So many hooks.. The chorus on run for your life is so much fun.

Im a huge 67' onwards beatles fan but this is my favourite beatles if not all time favourite album
08:14 AM on 05/07/12 
User Info.
georgedcc
Seosan
Male - 23 Years Old
Does this include last album we revisited/rediscovered, or last listened to even if we listen to it all the time? Or only first listens?

Yeah, talk about anything. I don't want to put restrictions or rules on this thread. So talk about whatever album you listened to recently. The whole aim is to get a bit of discussion going that isn't band specific and isn't as shit as the what are you listening to thread.
08:28 AM on 05/07/12 
User Info.
actcidents
it's not like it was before

Hadn't pulled this one out in awhile. It's still just as great as ever. It reminds me A LOT of Weezer's first album, which is always a good thing. Both Rivers and Chris have a very interesting sort of stream-of-consciousness vibe to their lyrics. It's obviously sonically pretty similar as well. I still love the beginning of "Nightingale" and it still makes me think of the beach at night. I really miss Eben as their bassist too, his work on this is just fantastic. It probably ties with Through Being Cool for my favorite STD album, with In Reverie close behind.
08:32 AM on 05/07/12 
User Info.
cshadows2887
Boston, MA
Male - 27 Years Old
Verified
I like this idea. Will be posting a lot.
09:11 AM on 05/07/12 
User Info.
Hagysaurus Rex
We yell like hell to the heavens.
Asheville, NC
Male

When I was first introduced to the Format it was in the spring when they were touring on Dog Problems, which is perfect for me because I can roll the windows down and sing along to every word in the warmer weather. So with spring turning into summer and the success of fun. I wanted to revisit these two format albums. While it seems as if the general consensus is Dog Problems is better/more preferred, I&L will always be my favorite of the two.
09:13 AM on 05/07/12 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
St. Louis, MO
Male - 21 Years Old
Staff Member
I just listened to the new Silversun Pickups album for the second time. It's growing on me, I can't really post too many complete thoughts but I like the more dark and somber tone of the album in comparison to past albums, but their sound hasn't progressed a whole lot, for better or for worse.

Currently listening to this

Definitely my favorite Animal Collective album. Very creative and experimental, and Avery Tare's screams are just bone chilling. For Reverend Green is still the best song this band has ever written.
09:15 AM on 05/07/12 
User Info.
Crackbaby
Stupid inflatable pants!
Slovenia
Male - 21 Years Old
Revolutions Per Minute by Rise Against

I haven't listened to Rise Against for a few months now, which is a bit weird for me, but I gave Revolutions Per Minute a listen today and I just can't help but think that despite how much I like their new records, I just don't sense that energy and angst they once had. I love all their albums, but when I listen to Revolutions Per Minute or The Unraveling I just start jumping around and go crazy. They just don't make songs like Halfway There or Black Masks & Gasoline anymore. I miss that.
09:18 AM on 05/07/12 
User Info.
Alligator Blood
/////////////////
Scarborough, UK
Male - 20 Years Old

This record just gets better with every spin. Every song is a standout, and the way it climaxes with I Believe Jesus Brought Us Together. So much passion and soul throughout the albums duration, along with the variety of the songs makes it so.. perfect. Honestly do not know how this record could be better. I adore Gaslight, but want this project to continue for some time yet.
09:22 AM on 05/07/12 
User Info.
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen 701 bands live!
Hudson County, NJ
Male

I just heard Midnight City on Spotify a few days ago and was instantly hooked. Unfortunately, that was the only song that stood out for me. I'm working their NYC show in October so maybe I'll have a better appreciation for their songs.
09:25 AM on 05/07/12 
User Info.
Crackbaby
Stupid inflatable pants!
Slovenia
Male - 21 Years Old

This record just gets better with every spin. Every song is a standout, and the way it climaxes with I Believe Jesus Brought Us Together. So much passion and soul throughout the albums duration, along with the variety of the songs makes it so.. perfect. Honestly do not know how this record could be better. I adore Gaslight, but want this project to continue for some time yet.
I definitely have to give this one a listen. I am hooked on The Gaslight Anthem since I heard The '59 Sound (the whole record) a few weeks ago.
09:26 AM on 05/07/12 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
St. Louis, MO
Male - 21 Years Old
Staff Member

I just heard Midnight City on Spotify a few days ago and was instantly hooked. Unfortunately, that was the only song that stood out for me. I'm working their NYC show in October so maybe I'll have a better appreciation for their songs.

spend more time with it, and listen to their older stuff.
09:26 AM on 05/07/12 
User Info.
georgedcc
Seosan
Male - 23 Years Old
Sigur Ros - Valtari

I totally wasn't expecting this album from Sigur Ros. After Med Sud and then Jonsi's solo stuff, I was expecting this new album to be the poppiest stuff they've ever done. Instead they went down the ambient route and made an album more reminiscent of ( ). It's an album where I can't pick out individual songs as highlights, they all flow together to make what sounds like one 40 minute piece of music. If there's one complaint I have with this album is that Jonsi's voice is not used enough. He has one of the best singing voices around, but on this album the vocals seem pushed back a bit to let the instrumentation take over. It's a small gripe, and overall I love this album.
09:28 AM on 05/07/12 
User Info.
Alligator Blood
/////////////////
Scarborough, UK
Male - 20 Years Old
I definitely have to give this one a listen. I am hooked on The Gaslight Anthem since I heard The '59 Sound (the whole record) a few weeks ago.

You do, it's so solid. I'd probably say I prefer this to both The '59 Sound and American Slang, and I adore those records.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos