AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Trioscapes - Separate Realities Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship 9
Lyrics N/A
Production 7.25
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Musicianship 10
Production 9.5
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 95%
Inside AP.net

Trioscapes - Separate Realities

Reviewed by: Jason Gardner (05/10/12)
Trioscapes - Separate Realities
Record Label: Metal Blade
Release Date: May 8, 2012

Come with me on a journey through time and space.

It’s a tag similar to the one that opens the strangely peculiar Brit-com The Mighty Boosh. And while the Boosh didn’t quite achieve as well when it made its journey to America via Adult Swim, Metal Blade metal-jazzers Trioscapes sound as if they’ll fare much better as far as getting us to embrace their weirdness. The jest is appropriate though considering the often odd nature of Trioscapes' sound is apparent regardless of the reference point. Dipping through humming jazz, distorted saxophones and off-kilter drumming, the noodling and grooving of the purely instrumental Separate Realities is a hefty serving of Zappaian orchestration with a focus on the quirks and motifs of these particular pieces. It’s a bit of a challenge to pick and choose throughout, but as a whole, Separate Realities submerges us effortlessly into a realm of thick, unescapable melodies and thoughtful plays on rhythm and time. It isn’t an album everyone is going to be able to enjoy on the same level, but it will most than likely speak to those with a leniency to forward-thinking instrumentals and math-rock aficionados.

In the six tracks of Separate Realities, the trio – sonically consisting of drums, bass guitar, saxophone and flute, both of which are occasionally tonally manipulated – takes on a mixture of time-bending arrangements felt more as a groove-founded listen than something that moves in standard songwriting structures. “Blast Off” lives up to its name, setting the pace and mission of Trioscapes’ sound with a flurry of sax rips and technical drum licks. The introduction to the track flashes the band’s strength right off the back – coming together for groove-heavy sections that display cohesiveness as opposed to spotlighting instruments in the wake of a down-played rhythmic section. It is a bit difficult to think of these tracks in verses and choruses, but the repetition of certain motifs in Trioscapes’ arsenal is what makes these tracks stick – and “Blast Off” is a prime example of that. The nearly twice as long title track takes a moment to get going, but in the wake of a strange introduction that preempts the spacey tones seeping throughout this track, a buzzed out bass helps push the track into the nearly psychedelic territory and allowing it to not get lost in the solo-esqe nature of the saxophone on this one. The xylophone is a nice touch and break up point for the song, reasserting the Zappa tone of this band while almost bringing the track back down to Earth in the process.

“Curse of the Ninth” summons the jazz flute, again pushing the laid-back nature despite relentlessly busy drumming in the background. While certainly not always right in step with the melodic grooving, the drumming only reinforces the ability of this trio to with and alongside each other in the melodic and timing structures in the songwriting process. Impressive? Yes. Necessarily memorable? Not as much. As far as curveballs might go though, closer “Gemini’s Descent” arguably stands out the most in this collection of unpredictable numbers. Tribal, yet delicate percussion, whimsical melodies and a near mechanical groove make this slow burner an easy one to literally just get lost in – and not in a bad way. Further keeping us guessing, the nearly unseen switch to the normal instrumentation of the band seems a bit bare in its execution despite the interesting dueling grooves that weave back and forth between matching and complimenting. The fine line of musicianship versus accessibility is certainly challenged repetitively on Separate Realities though, and more often than not the band keeps things from getting too out of hand when soloing or riffing off of one another.

As far as perhaps bringing jazz or orchestrally approached songwriting to a crowd not as keen or aware of its influence on bands, Trioscapes succeeds on a plane of not only trying to push our conceptual envelope, but their own as well. It isn’t suddenly recognized throughout or perhaps as consistent as hoped for, but Separate Realities challenges and disregards any notion of normal as far as most would be concerned. Yet even as it is not quite understood or attached to, the merit of the musicianship stands out that much more. This is a record you will get lost in – for better or for worse.

Recommended If You LikeFrank Zappa, a toned-down Rush, or perhaps jazz in general

Check It!Website

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10.
10:18 AM on 05/10/12
Spencer Control
Now we are all sons of bitches
User Info.
You had me at the Mighty Boosh reference.
10:30 AM on 05/10/12
Ohaidere
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I absolutely love this album.
10:36 AM on 05/10/12
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Top notch musicianship. Probably not something I'll listen to regularly, but it's a fantastic album nonetheless. Good review too!
01:06 PM on 05/10/12
skiridian
[colors]
User Info.
I'm so excited about this, I don't even know what to say. Dan Briggs is my favorite musician. There, I said something.
07:21 PM on 05/10/12
IPixedYouu
She's got a boyfriend anyway.
User Info.
Gotta check this out. Looks like a good album. Well-written review also.
09:03 AM on 05/12/12
TwelveTribes230
<>
User Info.
Great record and i love their Mahavishnu Orchestra cover as well. This band, T.R.A.M. and Exivious are bring back fusion in a big way.
12:16 PM on 05/12/12
Your Milkshake
...I drink it
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Well written review. Based off of what Ive heard already and what you had to say in your review, this album seems to deserve a much higher rating.
10:16 AM on 05/13/12
Ohaidere
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hmm.... it says this was given a 51% on the thumbnail to the side on the main page, but here says 76%. Awkward.
10:43 AM on 05/14/12
punkcrap
a stupid fuck with brilliant luck.
User Info.
This is definitely one of those times where I fucking love being part of AP.net. Holy shit this is absolutely fantastic music. Words can't describe how good this trio is. Awesome grooves
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums