Password

Album Review
Mixtapes - Somewhere In Trinsic EP Album Cover

Mixtapes - Somewhere In Trinsic EP

Reviewed by
Mixtapes - Somewhere In Trinsic EP
Release Date: May 8, 2012
Record Label: Animal Style Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Simply put, Mixtapes’ Somewhere In Trinsic EP is a very accurate teaser for the band’s upcoming debut full-length, Even On the Worst Nights. This is obvious enough for one reason, that the title track from that LP is the first song on this EP. “Even On the Worst Nights” is a mid-tempo song, actually one of the slowest ones on the full-length, but still manages to be a fairly good representation of what fans should be expecting. Ryan Rockwell and Maura Weaver complement each other in the vocal department, accompanied by fairly simple pop-punk/pop-rock musicianship.

The chorus of “We just don’t surrender / It’s hard to talk about it when you don’t remember / And I think that even on the worst nights / It tends to be all right,” plays out as a fairly typical chorus from the band. As we’ve seen on numerous EPs and split releases before this one, Mixtapes does a good job of remaining catchy enough to keep our attention, and on this track, demonstrates its usually hopeful brand of lyricism as well. Rockwell has talked at length in interviews about his personal life and the trials that led to Mixtapes’ origin, and hopeful lyrics like these have managed to invade the band’s songs over its entire career. Although the musicianship might seem happy-go-lucky, the lyricism sometimes reveals a lot more about the band’s personal life. “All the Mistakes We Made (Are Gonna Lead To All the Important Things We’re Gonna Do” is built oddly similar to “Even On the Worst Nights.” For this reason, it’s easy enough to write off as a B-side, but really stacks up just fine to the rest of the band’s catalog.

The closing “P.E.T.S.O.U.N.D.S.” is carried by Weaver’s lead vocals and is a nicely uptempo way to end the EP. “Driving home, I found new beginnings,” Weaver sings, again as Mixtapes provides a taste of hopefulness. If Somewhere In Trinsic were just another short EP or Mixtapes’ side of a split, it would be adequate enough, but in fact it’s just a precursor for Even On the Worst Nights, and it’s obvious that the band has made sure to leave its best work for that.

Disclaimer for the score: It really does seem trivial to score a three-song EP featuring one song that is going to be on a full-length in a month and a half and two songs that are best described as B-sides, but have at it...

7/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
10:38 AM on 05/11/12
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
Pretty excited to hear the full-length.
10:41 AM on 05/11/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I think putting out this EP is a good move for publicity and marketing purposes, but the full-length will completely overshadow it, and that's a good thing.
10:52 AM on 05/11/12
jonayy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Anybody know when pre-orders for even on the worst nights is going up?
11:23 AM on 05/11/12
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
great EP. title track is amazing. Can't wait to hear the full length/all the stuff Ryan said they did for them.
11:35 AM on 05/11/12
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
wtf is a trinsic
11:53 AM on 05/11/12
moontard
every thought, a thought of you
User Info.
I guess it's a play on words, intrinsic means something that is like natural or essential to something's existence
12:36 PM on 05/11/12
Cøltøn
User Info.
Even On The Worst Nights definitely overshadows the other two songs IMO, so I can see how you'd say that the full length will overshadow this EP. I personally feel like Even On The Worst Nights is one of the best songs in the Mixtapes catalog so far.
01:39 PM on 05/11/12
Psib
When I get home I'll get high alone
User Info.
Saw these guys play an acoustic show at Cinci warped last summer, love this band! cant wait for the full length!
03:38 PM on 05/11/12
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Really excited for the full length, I know it's gonna be really good
03:46 PM on 05/11/12
CrewysLane
User Info.
one of my favorite live bands. can't wait for the release of the full length
09:54 PM on 05/11/12
shawnPLAGUES
Steve Holt is a bastard.
User Info.
I love these guys. My friends and I grabbed burritos with them when they came around with Set Your Goals, and they are some of the coolest/nicest people to hang out with.

Really looking forward to their full length.
12:30 AM on 05/12/12
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
Looking forward to listening to this and the full length.
02:22 PM on 05/12/12
jennstook
User Info.
super awesome!
10:59 PM on 05/12/12
BusterBluth
@edgarallentoe
User Info.
deserves a 50%

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates