Username
Password

02:45 PM on 02/21/09 
User Info.
bassdrummer2333
No Avatar Selected
Oakfield, NY
Male - 23 Years Old
I have some songs done and exported from Garageband, how do I raise the overall volume to make it louder, it's WAY too quiet. I can use Garageband or some other free programs reccommended?
04:56 PM on 02/21/09 
User Info.
remoteCONTROL
We're a band.
Seattle, WA
Male - 29 Years Old
on the right side of the screen is where you can edit the master track. you can raise the overall volume that way. a good mix is the most important for good volume though because if the highs are too high or the lows are too low, its going to completely affect the master volume.
06:53 PM on 02/21/09 
User Info.
danielinskeep
i can spell confusion with a K.
Chicago
Male - 26 Years Old
Also, when you record, make sure your mic level is plenty loud, but make sure it doesn't clip.

You could also try using a program like Audacity to open up your stereo mix and adjust the volume in there.
10:37 PM on 02/21/09 
User Info.
Esrb99
The Pertinacious Papist
Rolla, Missouri
Male - 24 Years Old
record so that tracks average at around -18dbs in your pc's mixer.

don't pan or mess with tracks at all yet, get it all recorded.

mix it. automation, eq, compression, etc. carve a space sonically for it. again, don't try to 'raise the volume' of the whole thing.

export the track (and others, preferably if doing an ep or more,) as a wav and open all tracks into your editor, and 'master' them. overall eq, very soft compression, get fades and such between songs set, and finally, before bouncing your final tracks, add a limiter, which will bring the volume of your mix up immensely.

if pressing, bounce as a redbook disc, and send to the pressing plant.

the end.
04:29 PM on 02/23/09 
User Info.
Tristan Needler
This is forever.
London, ON
Male - 28 Years Old
Also, when you record, make sure your mic level is plenty loud, but make sure it doesn't clip.

You could also try using a program like Audacity to open up your stereo mix and adjust the volume in there.
Don't listen to this, it's wrong. Haha sorry, but that's not what you want to do at all. That introduces digital distortion and makes your songs sound much worse.

Like he said above, -18db, peaks around -9db.

I wouldn't raise the volume by moving the master fader either. I leave the master fader at 0 the entire time, unless I want to turn it down in my speakers. Generally adding gain at the fader is not a great idea, even though most sequencers can do it "alright" nowadays. A compressor is much better designed for the job.

Compressors are for raising the volume. Specifically limiters on the master, which is just a compressor with an infinite ratio. You've already exported the mix, which is good. Just import it again to a new project, or like I do, an new track in the same project. Mute all the other tracks, so you just have the mixdown. Then throw a limiter on it. That hopefully will be all you need. I suggest resisting using eq or anything other than a tinge of reverb on the master, since you're not a mastering engineer and don't really know what you're doing haha. Make the mix sound the way you want it to. It takes some time, but fight for it. Then like I said, the limiter, or compressor with a very high ration if Garage Band doesn't have a limiter.

If you're making an album of songs like he said above, you're more likely to need to use EQ so that all the songs have the same feel, sound-wise.

Edit: I believe Garage Band uses AU plugs, right? Here is a decent compressor. Found it yesterday from a post on the Tweak forums, actually. If you turn the ratio all the way to 1000, it will essentially be a limiter so you can use it that way. You'll then have to play with the threshold (they call it 'sensitivity' on this one) and gain to get the sound good. Make the attack pretty quick, if not as fast as possible for limiting, and the release shouldn't be too long either.
12:38 AM on 02/24/09 
User Info.
danielinskeep
i can spell confusion with a K.
Chicago
Male - 26 Years Old
Ah yes. I'm not too certain what I was thinking about that whole Audacity bit, but getting a good level when tracking is key.

I actually just have a stereo master track in pro tools that I use a stereo compressor on, as well as EQ and a wonderful plugin called Maxim. I find EQing my stereo mix helps a ton... so mess around with and see if it helps yours. Reverb though? How does that help? Never tried it.
Go easy with the compression.
01:46 PM on 04/11/09 
User Info.
Xanitra
No Avatar Selected
Male - 35 Years Old
hmm, I decided to reply here, because I have exactly the same problem. But I use Cubase SE.
I thought I'd try my luck, but I will probably have to make a new topic.

I've made a trance / ambient song, but it is a bit low.. Not like, VERY low, but I have to turn down the volume a bit when put together with ordinary music from the radio for example.

anybody have any ideas for cubase? or are the basics the same as those mentioned above?

ty for help.
01:51 PM on 04/11/09 
User Info.
Cheesus
nope
Bay Area, CA
Male
Generally adding gain at the fader is not a great idea, even though most sequencers can do it "alright" nowadays. A compressor is much better designed for the job.

ding!
02:35 PM on 04/11/09 
User Info.
Esrb99
The Pertinacious Papist
Rolla, Missouri
Male - 24 Years Old
hmm, I decided to reply here, because I have exactly the same problem. But I use Cubase SE.
I thought I'd try my luck, but I will probably have to make a new topic.

I've made a trance / ambient song, but it is a bit low.. Not like, VERY low, but I have to turn down the volume a bit when put together with ordinary music from the radio for example.

anybody have any ideas for cubase? or are the basics the same as those mentioned above?

ty for help.

hit with a limiter and a compressor.
10:53 AM on 04/27/09 
User Info.
IAmNietzche
creepy Rob Lowe
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 28 Years Old

06:17 AM on 06/02/12 
User Info.
louie088
Yeah, some form of mastering would most likely bring up your EQ and volume levels.
05:45 PM on 06/02/12 
User Info.
PlanesMusic
No Avatar Selected
Frisco, TX
Male
What I usually do, if it comes out too quiet, is I export it as is and then open it up in garageband again as a master track. After that, I slap a compressor on the track, and tweak with the settings until it's at desired volume. If you're not familiar with mixing, a compressor can also be a nightmare, so be careful. It's just a fast way to raise volume on demo recordings.
06:25 AM on 06/04/12 
User Info.
mazerfaka
Sweden
Male - 26 Years Old
If you send me an 24-bit WAV i can do it for you!
08:56 PM on 12/16/12 
User Info.
Bader
No Avatar Selected
Male - 21 Years Old
Now the replica watches market is flooded with various Swiss Replica watches. According to their unique size and style, the price of Swiss is replica watches uk from 100 pounds to 300 pounds in general. You can find a perfect Swiss Replica to collocate your replica rolex daily attire. Replica Rolex wathces、Replica Breitling watches and Replica Omega watches are all reasonable choices.
09:44 PM on 12/17/12 
User Info.
fuldanips
Los Angeles, CA
Male - 23 Years Old
Record your track between -18 and -9 db. Export as a whole song into a lossless file. Open that file back up in GarageBand. Under Master Track, add AU Peak Limiter. Adjust the volume to something reasonable there. Voila.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos