Password

Album Review

What's Eating Gilbert - The Nashville Session Album Cover

What's Eating Gilbert - The Nashville Session

Reviewed by
What's Eating Gilbert - The Nashville Session
Record Label: Paper + Plastick
Release Date: June 19, 2012
In what seems to be a precursor or warmup for the near future, What’s Eating Gilbert, the side project of New Found Glory’s Chad Gilbert, has unleashed upon us The Nashville Session – the most recent two-track taste of his concoction of yesteryear pop that has a very modern angle to it. In short, Gilbert’s songwriting shines bright on this rather nostalgic, yet fun take on classic vibes and production – making it hard not to ask for more.

The two tracks of The Nashville Session embody a clean, upbeat vibe of diner-styled pop, best described as if it came straight out of the movie Grease. “Babe” has a one-two punch of a strong backbeat and instantly memorable melodies, yet lyrically sounds like it could exist some sixty years ago though it includes loose references to modern life troubles. “Lonely Road” does a very similar task but with a slower tempo and very complimentary instrumentation of mallet percussion and much more present backing vocals. At this point in Gilbert’s solo work, this sound isn’t out of the question for him, but it still feels very natural to listen to anything New Found Glory has done and then jump into one of these tracks.

What makes the throwback sound of The Nashville Session great is that Gilbert does it well enough without trying to make some sort of twist on it or cheapen it in any way. And in that aspect, this is something worth listening to on a summer drive or if you’re feeling particularly nostalgic. Gilbert more than prepares us for the upcoming EP from this project, keeping it real while continuing his solo work in quite impressive form.
This review is a user submitted review from Jason Gardner. You can see all of Jason Gardner's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
03:00 PM on 06/19/12
MyFriendsOver
Your pictures are already burned.
User Info.
I've always liked Chad's solo songs. I'm glad he chose to do this style; it's unique in this day and age. Is he still giving away the songs for free?
04:07 PM on 06/19/12
Kelly Doherty
@DylanintheMovie
User Info.
His vocals on the solo stuff makes me wish he had more of a clean vocal space in New Found's stuff. It's pretty awesome, far better than Jordin's. I say this a fan
04:20 PM on 06/19/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I've always liked Chad's solo songs. I'm glad he chose to do this style; it's unique in this day and age. Is he still giving away the songs for free?
No, on sale at Paper + Plastick: http://paperplastick.limitedrun.com/...eating+gilbert
04:09 AM on 06/20/12
konnhangheo
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good...................
02:27 PM on 06/29/12
Anthony Sorendino
You are not your idea.
User Info.
Definitely going to check this out after reading. Thanks!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos