AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Broadway - Gentlemen's Brawl Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 6.5
Production 7
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 4.5
Reviewer Tilt 5
Final Verdict: 61%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.83
Musicianship 6.42
Lyrics 3.75
Production 4.83
Creativity 3.42
Lasting Value 3.42
Reviewer Tilt 4.75
Average: 49%
Inside AP.net

Broadway - Gentlemen's Brawl

Reviewed by: Niko John (06/15/12)
Broadway - Gentlemen's Brawl
Record Label: Uprising Records
Release Date: June 19th, 2012

Here we are. The time has finally come. It is a moment that long time Broadway fans, such as myself, have been waiting for. After three long years of waiting, Gentlemen's Brawl is finally here. After having the original release date of March 2011 be pushed back to an ungodly length of time and no actual release date being mentioned until only a few months ago we, as the fans, had almost lost hope of anything being released. Yet, here we are! Many of Broadways fans were expecting something great. So is Gentlemen's Brawl something great? Is it worth the wait? No, unfortunately, it is not. That doesn't mean it is a bad album; just disappointing.

The Broadway that created their fantastic debut album, Kingdoms, is gone. Besides the stand out tracks, "Vagrant Stories" and "Lawyered", you will find no trace of Kingdoms here. Now that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Bands change/tweak their sound all the time, right? Yes, except Broadway haven't tweaked their sound; they have practically jumped genres. Broadway have become a pop band, in the same vein as All Time Low, I See Stars and even The Ready Set to a degree. Unlike Kingdoms, you will find one scream part in the entire album which is in the title track "Gentlemen's Brawl" which has the second of two breakdowns in the album. Besides one gang chant, that is the extent of Broadways old post-hardcore image.

Now, I had expected Broadway to adjust their music slightly. After three years of being in a semi-hiatus, whoever thought that Broadway would make "Kingdoms 2.0" were kidding themselves. I could maybe even forgive them for switching genres, but almost none of the songs in the album are special. The opening track "Party At Sean's House" is annoyingly poppy and except for Misha's signature highs in the end (which are barely in the album), is unmemorable. "I Am Not A Rockstar" is the same way except with uninspired lyrics and "Medication" actually made me bored while listening through it with Misha not reaching any sort of range until the very end; almost all of the songs sound the same to each other. There are very good, stand out tracks here though. "Vagrant Stories" is my favorite track on the whole album, reminding me of "Gotta Love that Southern Charm" from Kingdoms, "Faster, Faster" is a decent song with a "fast" (see what I did there?) pace and great drum work and "Lawyered" shows off the really admirable and fun guitar shredding in the album.

Besides that there isn't much to Gentlemen's Brawl. Besides the two to four stand out tracks, the rest of the songs are slightly generic. Take away Misha's signature voice and we have a "pop-punk" (and I use that term loosely) album that could have been made by anyone. Misha's voice barely has any range in the album anyway. His voice is very good, it's just not the "let it all out" singing that I have become accustomed to.

If you like pop/pop-punk you should give Gentlemen's Brawl a shot. For all the Broadway fans out there, I say give it a try anyway. It's not the same Broadway you know, but you might end up liking it better because of that; you never know. There are hints of Kingdoms, but overall this is practically a new band. I was hoping for something more, but unfortunately, Broadway's sophomore album is one that I will not be picking up.

Recommended If You LikeI See Stars, All Time Low, Pop, Pop-Punk

LinksFacebook, Twitter, Myspace

Track Listing1. Party at Sean's House
2. Faster, Faster
3. Better Things
4. Vagrant Stories
5. I Am Not A Rockstar
6. There's No Crying In Baseball
7. I Can't Do This Alone
8. Lawyered
9. I've Got the Itis
10. Medication
11. Gentlemen's Brawl

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
12:28 PM on 06/22/12
HanLuk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Well, that was disappointing.
10:41 PM on 06/22/12
Pacey
User Info.
This is terrible.
Such a long wait.. such high hopes.

The lack of crazy highs from Misha and general post-hardcore-ness is just disappointing.
Will probably not even give it a 3rd listen.
03:15 PM on 06/23/12
Bradalee21
Hmm...
User Info.
Just such a disgusting album.
12:16 AM on 06/24/12
sharkbot
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I registered exactly for this thread.

Yes it's not kingdoms, but I found that out after their single releases. That was really disappointing. And their singles aren't the stand out songs.

I Am Not A Rockstar uninspired lyrics? Are you sure you got the right album? It's a dam well written satire song of this fake Rockstar life. It's a funny song. I know it's not the Broadway we love, but it still leaves me singing to the song. ESPECIALLY Party at Sean's House, how the hell do you not song along to ” It's 4 AM and I'm the only one sober?”

Again it's not the post hardcore broadway we were introduced to, but this is a very solid album
08:54 PM on 06/24/12
citi_matt
User Info.
The album is actually pretty good until you finish listening to Lawyered. Ive got the itis, medication, n the self titled track are awful. they still need to be more dynamic in their songs like they were in Kingdoms...lawyered is a great example of that

They sound like We The Kings on the "there's no crying in baseball" song though....its kinda weird

as a whole its still a letdown from how unique Kingdoms was
06:06 PM on 06/25/12
(l,k)
hate on me then you hate success
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
its awful. its just a bad pop punk album all around
09:40 AM on 06/27/12
Niko John
https://twitter.com/nikovercelletto
User Info.
I registered exactly for this thread.

Yes it's not kingdoms, but I found that out after their single releases. That was really disappointing. And their singles aren't the stand out songs.

I Am Not A Rockstar uninspired lyrics? Are you sure you got the right album? It's a dam well written satire song of this fake Rockstar life. It's a funny song. I know it's not the Broadway we love, but it still leaves me singing to the song. ESPECIALLY Party at Sean's House, how the hell do you not song along to ” It's 4 AM and I'm the only one sober?”

Again it's not the post hardcore broadway we were introduced to, but this is a very solid album
I'm glad you like the album as a whole, but it just wasn't for me. I'm sure that "Party at Sean's House" will appeal to some people, like you, but for me it was just annoying. I can see how people can find the song catchy, but I didn't; I found it quite irritating actually. The album is not as unique nor as dynamic as Kingdoms. Also, like I said in my review, I wouldn't have cared that Broadway had changed their sound, but many of the songs, for me, are just not good. This is just a generic pop-punk album at best. I am glad you liked it though because Broadway definitely deserves some recognition, just not for this album. To me, this isn't the Broadway people should be listening to; but to each his own. Thanks for reading my review either way!
01:10 PM on 06/27/12
Lightsout911X
Expect me standing tall
User Info.
Agree with pretty much everything said in the review.

I can't stand the production on this album.
10:22 PM on 01/05/13
HaytonLloyd23
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Am I the only person that thought this was a good follow up? I mean, I know it isn't the same exact sound as Kingdoms, but you can still definitely hear it. Go back and listen to Faster Faster, No crying in baseball, Vagrant Stories, I Can't Do This Alone, and the title track and you can Kingdoms shining through with some glossy pop punk coating.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums