AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Wolves At The Gate - Captors Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 9
Production 7.75
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 82%
Inside AP.net

Wolves At The Gate - Captors

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (07/02/12)
Wolves At The GateCaptors
Record Label: Solid State Records
Release Date: July 3, 2012

There was something about Wolves At The Gate’s first EP, We Are The Ones that screamed Solid State Records – the label just seemed like the perfect fit for the band. Sure enough, a year later and they signed. Now, Wolves At The Gate take their sound to a new level with their debut record, Captors.

Working with producer Andreas Magnussen (Oh, Sleeper, Haste The Day) allows Wolves At The Gate to better define their sound, and the growth is heard throughout these 11 tracks. Steve Cobucci’s clean vocals sound better than ever (his performance on “Dead Man” screams Thrice), while Nick Detty’s screams are as powerful as ever (he absolutely dominates the jarring “Slaves”). Touring with Oh, Sleeper didn’t hurt Wolves At The Gates at all, as it’s clear the vocalists picked up some tips along the way.

Musically, the band has really stepped up since We Are The Ones. Lead guitarist Jeremy Steckel’s presence defines the record, giving it a more sophisticated feel (look no further than “In Your Wake”). Drummer Ben Millhouse controls every beat of the kit with masterful force. He lets rip throughout the frenzied “Amnesty.”

The influence of Thrice on Captors will not go unnoticed. Both “Safeguards” and “Morning Star” channel the alchemy of Thrice’s Fire & Water, only with a more of an edge. Playing off such influences, Wolves At The Gate add dynamics to their music. At one moment Detty’s screams bludgeon the listener (the opening “The Harvest” is a beat down), yet at other times, Wolves At The Gate could be opening for a Thrice show (the final “Man Of Sorrows” contains all the energy of Thrice).

In a word, Wolves At The Gate are versatile. For only a debut record, Captors sounds like the third release of other bands of the genre, showing how skilled the guys are at such a young point. Musically, the guitar and drumming define the record, as it’s the instrumentation that is the meat of the album. The potatoes, so to speak, come with the combination of Detty’s roar and Cobucci’s Dustin Kensrue-esque clean vocals. This is everything we love about Thrice mixed with Oh, Sleeper. Captors catches your attention from the begging and holds it until the final note of the melodic “Man Of Sorrows” in a way that is rare among debut heavy records. The Wolves are on the prowl, and they are tearing apart the forest limb by limb.

8/10

Recommended If You LikeHaste The Day; Oh, Sleeper; Thrice’s Fire & Water

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. The Harvest
2. Awaken
3. Morning Star
4. Dead Man
5. In Your Wake
6. Slaves
7. Step Out To The Water
8. Amnesty
9. Safeguards
10. Through The Night
11. Man Of Sorrows

Wolves At The Gate are:
Steve Cobucci – Clean Vocals, Guitar
Nick Detty – Screams
Jeremy Steckel – Guitar
Ben Summers – Bass
Ben Millhouse – Drums

Website

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 28
10:38 PM on 07/02/12
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
the thrice stuff is, i don't know, aspirational at best. not saying that because i like thrice or think lowly of this band. i just think a fan of that band isn't going to listen to this and be like, yep, cool. which i know you're not really saying. it's all relative, obviously.

and i do think this is an interesting record, despite my very cursory understanding of this sort of music. but whatever, i think this is an accessible yet exciting album. and i think it deserves to be handled as such. this review just felt, regular and overly blah blah journalistic to me. you said what you thought you should say, but it didn't feel like you had any real reaction to this stuff. how did it hit you? that's what i want to know. and obviously that's just me, but whatevs.
10:44 PM on 07/02/12
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
the thrice stuff is, i don't know, aspirational at best. not saying that because i like thrice or think lowly of this band. i just think a fan of that band isn't going to listen to this and be like, yep, cool. which i know you're not really saying. it's all relative, obviously.

and i do think this is an interesting record, despite my very cursory understanding of this sort of music. but whatever, i think this is an accessible yet exciting album. and i think it deserves to be handled as such. this review just felt, regular and overly blah blah journalistic to me. you said what you thought you should say, but it didn't feel like you had any real reaction to this stuff. how did it hit you? that's what i want to know. and obviously that's just me, but whatevs.
Interesting comment. I guess sometimes with heavy music in particular I find it harder to...describe how it hits. I'll have to work on that. Thanks for the criticism, Blake. Always glad to find ways to better my writing.
10:58 PM on 07/02/12
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.

Going to have to disagree. I feel the review gave me a good idea what to expect and useful comparisons.
12:13 AM on 07/03/12
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
How are the Religious undertones of this? I remember listening to the EP and thinking that they had talent, but it was way too...man, I don't wanna say 'preachy', but that kinda fits.

I know it shouldn't matter, but for some reason it does effect my experience.
06:05 AM on 07/03/12
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
How are the Religious undertones of this? I remember listening to the EP and thinking that they had talent, but it was way too...man, I don't wanna say 'preachy', but that kinda fits.

They are subtle - but there
06:23 AM on 07/03/12
jvg4444
User Info.
There are points where I think Dustin Kensrue is singing. Very intrigued by this album.
06:43 AM on 07/03/12
t00latef0rr0ses
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
User Info.
They are subtle - but there

Going to respectfully disagree with this statement.

Example from Awaken:

"Great is They faithfulness
O' God my Father and King
There is no shadowy presence
To Your promise I cling
Thou changest not Thy compassions
As Thou hast been
Thou forever and ever will be"

Yeah, there are other times where they are subtle, but it is clear they are referring to a "higher power" throughout the album. They reference You/Him/Your/God all the time.
07:34 AM on 07/03/12
rawspinner
Fight the Cancer
User Info.

Some people write off your writing way too easily on this site. Great advice.
07:51 AM on 07/03/12
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Some people write off your writing way too easily on this site. Great advice.
who? i want names!
08:06 AM on 07/03/12
dookiedog
You're Effin Out!
User Info.
Spot on with the Thrice comparisons. For me this album is the best heavy album of 2012
08:12 AM on 07/03/12
Avalanche1
Keep running, keep shining on
User Info.
Really enjoying this album.
08:43 AM on 07/03/12
Spencer Control
Will you catch me if I blow away?
User Info.
I'm really interested in what this band can pull off... as you said, they seem really mature as a group for their age.
09:40 AM on 07/03/12
bluecrunchy
To shreds, you say.
User Info.

If you're looking for subtle lyrics, this probably isn't the album for you.

About halfway through my first listen and I'm enjoying it so far.
10:46 AM on 07/03/12
ABJallday
User Info.
Happy with this review. This will be Solid State's next big band.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums