Male - 26 Years Old
we rolled over and fell asleep
10:19 AM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
Deathco_019
I demand a trial by combat.
Limerick, PA
Male - 22 Years Old
New album is fantastic. Favorites upon first listen: 45, Handwritten, and Mae.

I'm not impressed with Biloxi Parish, but, then again, it's only my first listen.
10:25 AM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
tacosforcharles
it all ends
Appleton, WI
Male - 23 Years Old
Songs that weren't my favorite upon first few listens are now becoming my favorites (Keepsake, Too Much Blood). Such a fantastic album. AOTY so far.
11:17 AM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
Really don't get why everyone loves Handwritten (the song) so much. So you wrote all your songs by hand Brian. Thats cute, though I'm not sure how it changes everything. You're gonna name your album that? Feels a little off, but I guess whatever floats your boat... wait now your singing a whole song about how every word is handwritten? Isn't that a little, self serving? I fell in love with you guys because of the romantic images of campfires on the beach and long car rides that you painted and the heartfelt glimpses into Brian's last not because you write your lyrics by hand and then sing about it.

other parts of the album are still really good. The thing will still probably be AOTY unless The Vaccines pull out all the stops out something else comes out of the woodwork, but not including Blue Dahlia on the actual album and cutting the third verse of Blioxi standout as annoying signs of a band trying too hard to do its own thing and losing part of the magic that made their earlier stuff so great.
11:17 AM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
Philadelphia, PA
Male
I still don't understand why everyone likes "Mulholland Drive" so much. Hasn't hit me yet.
11:18 AM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
Really don't get why everyone loves Handwritten (the song) so much. So you wrote all your songs by hand Brian. Thats cute, though I'm not sure how it changes everything. You're gonna name your album that? Feels a little off, but I guess whatever floats your boat... wait now your singing a whole song about how every word is handwritten? Isn't that a little, self serving? I fell in love with you guys because of the romantic images of campfires on the beach and long car rides that you painted and the heartfelt glimpses into Brian's last not because you write your lyrics by hand and then sing about it.

other parts of the album are still really good. The thing will still probably be AOTY unless The Vaccines pull out all the stops out something else comes out of the woodwork, but not including Blue Dahlia on the actual album and cutting the third verse of Blioxi standout as annoying signs of a band trying too hard to do its own thing and losing part of the magic that made their earlier stuff so great.

Handwritten isn't about actually writing the lyrics by hand, it's just a device.
11:25 AM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
Male - 25 Years Old
Handwritten isn't about actually writing the lyrics by hand, it's just a device.

A device for what? I mean, I guess it could be interpreted as writing love letters by hand instead of lyrics, but given Brian was talking about the name because he wrote everything by hand, I don't see how you can't say its at least parcially about the lyrics. Self-servingness aside, it still isn't a great song. the 'every word handwritten' part gets rather repetitive. It isn't bad, just as this point I'd say its my least favorite gaslight song. Has a few lyrical bright spots, but in general just feels flat.
11:30 AM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
A device for what? I mean, I guess it could be interpreted as writing love letters by hand instead of lyrics, but given Brian was talking about the name because he wrote everything by hand, I don't see how you can't say its at least parcially about the lyrics. Self-servingness aside, it still isn't a great song. the 'every word handwritten' part gets rather repetitive. It isn't bad, just as this point I'd say its my least favorite gaslight song. Has a few lyrical bright spots, but in general just feels flat.

It's a metaphor for really believing in what he was writing. He's said in a bunch of interviews that the reason he did actually write everything by hand was so he'd agonize over each line, making it as personal as can be. These songs were "handwritten" in the sense that they are fully his, everything is out in the open in black and white. There are little to no literary references, borrowed lyrics, etc that he's used so frequently in the past. Saying "every word Handwritten" is just his way of conveying that idea. At least that's my interpretation, take from it what you will.
11:34 AM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Songs that weren't my favorite upon first few listens are now becoming my favorites (Keepsake, Too Much Blood). Such a fantastic album. AOTY so far.

This is exactly what happened to me. "Too Much Blood" didn't hit me as the epic centerpiece until Monday night, and "Biloxi Parish" probably has my favorite hook on the whole thing.

I still don't understand why everyone likes "Mulholland Drive" so much. Hasn't hit me yet.

It's the guitar at the end, for me.
11:38 AM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
I am extraordinarily jealous.

It was awesome. They also announced that at the time they had the #1 record in the world - I don't know if that's still true, though.
11:43 AM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
It was awesome. They also announced that at the time they had the #1 record in the world - I don't know if that's still true, though.

That would be awesome.
11:46 AM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified

Yeah we'll see. I'm sure it'll be #1 on the rock charts, but overall might be tough. The new songs sounded amazing and they looked like they were havign a blast playing them - especially Howl. The mix on that song was so perfect I thought they had a track playing during the chorus. The backup vocals have gotten progressively better and better each time I see them - even since the Letterman show.
11:55 AM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Yeah we'll see. I'm sure it'll be #1 on the rock charts, but overall might be tough. The new songs sounded amazing and they looked like they were havign a blast playing them - especially Howl. The mix on that song was so perfect I thought they had a track playing during the chorus. The backup vocals have gotten progressively better and better each time I see them - even since the Letterman show.

Well it would be great to see them at or near the top.

Glad to hear the mix is great. I don't love "Howl" on record (at least not compared to almost everything else), but I can imagine that one being great live.
12:06 PM on 07/25/12 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
Well it would be great to see them at or near the top.

Glad to hear the mix is great. I don't love "Howl" on record (at least not compared to almost everything else), but I can imagine that one being great live.

Yeah, once people really know that one it's going to be crazy to see.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos