AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Consequential Apathy: Do You Know Who You Are?

Posted by - 12:44 PM on 08/03/12
This week's Consequential Apathy is dedicated to the bands that did their thing in a short time and made a mark for future bands to come, just their hometown or even a small group of friends. You can read my thoughts after seeing one of my close friend's band play their final show. I want you to think of all the bands that lasted for such a short time but made a huge impact in your life. Head to the replies and be "that guy" who saw "that band" when.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
12:45 PM on 08/03/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
this is also my last CA column for a bit while I get some behind-the-scenes work done. thanks to everyone who has made this thing a success in the short couple of months it's been around. I'll be back to babble more soon.
12:50 PM on 08/03/12
ACA
Next Show: Jimmy Eat World 10/20
User Info.
The first thing that comes to mind is seeing Anthony Green fucking rip apart the tiny Fire bar in Philadelphia with Saosin in 2003.
01:05 PM on 08/03/12
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
I was lucky to see Casey Calvert play with Hawthorne Heights on the headlining tour they had before warped tour the year he died. Met him too. Sad he's gone.
01:22 PM on 08/03/12
truthbetoldxx
http://www.milkshakes.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
That was fucking great, Adam. Awesome piece
01:45 PM on 08/03/12
brookssurrender
User Info.
Growing up in Northern Virginia during the early 2000's, the band that EVERYONE in the scene looked up to and wanted to be like was Over It. I saw them so many times in several different rec centers and the vibe was always so good. When they moved to California everyone in VA assumed that they would get humungous because we loved them so much. Never happened. I do remember a few 'homecoming" shows they played back in VA though where it seemed like , at least to the people in those rooms, they were the biggest band in the world. And they really were to my friends and I. It's a shame the rest of the country never really caught on. Timing Is Everything is a criminally underrated pop-punk classic from that era.
01:50 PM on 08/03/12
hellogorgeous
two up two down
User Info.
Growing up in Northern Virginia during the early 2000's, the band that EVERYONE in the scene looked up to and wanted to be like was Over It. I saw them so many times in several different rec centers and the vibe was always so good. When they moved to California everyone in VA assumed that they would get humungous because we loved them so much. Never happened. I do remember a few 'homecoming" shows they played back in VA though where it seemed like , at least to the people in those rooms, they were the biggest band in the world. And they really were to my friends and I. It's a shame the rest of the country never really caught on. Timing Is Everything is a criminally underrated pop-punk classic from that era.
I remember seeing them at summafest & flipside. miss them!
03:05 PM on 08/03/12
JoshIsArealBoy
STOP LOOKING AT ME SWAN!!
User Info.
The Weakend from MI was one of those bands that while busting their butts off making their mark, they never achieved the level of success they truly deserved. Brian Connelly and Jeff supina are two off the most talented and friendly people I've ever known.
03:18 PM on 08/03/12
ARo2431
User Info.
The Weakend from MI was one of those bands that while busting their butts off making their mark, they never achieved the level of success they truly deserved. Brian Connelly and Jeff supina are two off the most talented and friendly people I've ever known.

I can back that. Saw them play with Chiodos years ago and also open for Fall Out Boy. It's a shame people never caught on to their music.
07:15 PM on 08/03/12
dangerofthought
An Uneducated Opinion
User Info.
Between The Tress were huge for me. Caught the video of The Way She Feels on Youtube and was hooked. Searched all of over town for their CD. Got the chance to see them three times - 2008 Warped on the Ernie Ball Stage, the Alt Press Bands You Need To Know 2 Tour in a tiny-ass venue with 40 other people and then my friends and I were crazy enough to get the money together for the guys to drive up to Boone, NC and put on a house show in Decemeber of '09 before they disbanded. Got the chance to hang out with guys, take them to Cook-Out afterward, but more importantly - sing really really loudly in my friends living room with 60 other huge BTT fans that we crammed in there. Definitely a band I'll always remember and miss.
08:50 PM on 08/03/12
parkerisjolley
User Info.
one of my favorite bands still is best interest, their last cd camera shy but still a star is absolutely incredible, they came to fresno once when i was in high school and found out the night of their show, never got to see them. wish they kept making music, they really had something special with camera shy, i think they had gotten signed to a bigger indie they could have some real success
12:06 AM on 08/04/12
punchlinekid182
This wind changed me
User Info.
I remember seeing race the sun play in ny in 04 and thought, wow these guys are gonna be huge.. Sadly will forever be waiting on that follow-up. But still appreciate the fact I got to see them

Two other bands that come to mind are, junction 18 and unsung zeros. I was lucky enough to catch them both in one weekend back in 2002
01:48 AM on 08/04/12
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
User Info.
Growing up in a small town in the middle of Italy isn't this cool. Since I was only a kid, I've always daydreamed about music, punk rock, playin' live shows around the world. Music was my escape from a suffocating reality. Then there was this band from my hometown. They were called Miles Away (From You), and I really loved their fast paced punk rock music. They played a lot of shows from 2008 'till 2011, hometown shows and also a bunch of dates in Rome along with some other cool bands (I remember a year and a half ago they opened the This Is A Standoff gig in Rome). They even released a full lenght in 2010, which is unavailable on the internet, and it's such a shame, 'cause their blend of Taking Back Sunday and No Use For A Name mixed up with Comeback Kid influences deserved more recognition. I've always been convinced that if they were born in Rome, they would have gained national relevance. This band had a great influence on me: 4 kids out of nowhere making great music and playin' along with international bands. 4 kids just like me.
05:03 AM on 08/04/12
itaketoberlin
respect the process
User Info.
Underscore. If there was no Underscore, there would be no All Time Low. Can you imagine a world without All Time Low? To top it off, Underscores lead singer is now the tour manager for All Time Low. Crazy how things work im cycles.
05:30 AM on 08/04/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Underscore. If there was no Underscore, there would be no All Time Low. Can you imagine a world without All Time Low? To top it off, Underscores lead singer is now the tour manager for All Time Low. Crazy how things work im cycles.
I've never heard of Underscore before. Interesting.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos