AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

10:56 PM on 09/08/12 
User Info.
disconinja2008
Ann Arbor
Male - 24 Years Old
Do any of you have any particularly creative ways you've marketed your music? Or anything you've done that you're proud of?

To market my band, Teenage Octopus, I once responded to a university-wide email with info on our next show and our band and someone actually donated money to us!
11:08 PM on 09/09/12 
User Info.
HYGz
no. nice and slow.
Male - 25 Years Old
Play a lot of shows.
08:28 PM on 09/10/12 
User Info.
CDMaker
No Avatar Selected
Austin, TX
Female
We've started a program where we provide (at no charge) a basic mobile site with a QR code. The site features a youtube video (hopefully of the band in question) and a link to like their facebook page - it combines the mobile (the phone) and the social (facebook) aspects.

The QR code is then printed on the poster with a note to the effect of "take us with you".

We're working on the way to even get directions to the show - but of course, unless a band is playing in the same place over and over, something like that would have to be updated show by show - so we figured facebook invites would take care of that.

For anyone who would like to see the demo - using your smart phone and its QR code scanner -

http://www.cdmaker.com/just-ask-and-...-for-your-band

We've decided to offer this as our community service - bands just give us two links (youtube video and their facebook page) and then we create and host the site and create the QR code and send the code to the band for printing. So for now, we're just wanting to help as many performing groups as possible.

Frankly, I get tired of all these marketing guys telling bands to use QR codes - but what they overlook is that the content has to be mobile friendly - people get PO'd when they can't really see what it is because its a regular site. And the band thinks its too complicated or they take a chance and try it but it doesn't do anything and they think its the QR code that fell flat.

Would love to know what you think of something like this for shows -
09:18 PM on 09/10/12 
User Info.
theguy77
Terrain / Ryan
Baltimore, MD
Male - 24 Years Old
Verified
We've started a program where we provide (at no charge) a basic mobile site with a QR code. The site features a youtube video (hopefully of the band in question) and a link to like their facebook page - it combines the mobile (the phone) and the social (facebook) aspects.

The QR code is then printed on the poster with a note to the effect of "take us with you".

We're working on the way to even get directions to the show - but of course, unless a band is playing in the same place over and over, something like that would have to be updated show by show - so we figured facebook invites would take care of that.

For anyone who would like to see the demo - using your smart phone and its QR code scanner -

http://www.cdmaker.com/just-ask-and-...-for-your-band

We've decided to offer this as our community service - bands just give us two links (youtube video and their facebook page) and then we create and host the site and create the QR code and send the code to the band for printing. So for now, we're just wanting to help as many performing groups as possible.

Frankly, I get tired of all these marketing guys telling bands to use QR codes - but what they overlook is that the content has to be mobile friendly - people get PO'd when they can't really see what it is because its a regular site. And the band thinks its too complicated or they take a chance and try it but it doesn't do anything and they think its the QR code that fell flat.

Would love to know what you think of something like this for shows -

love, this, idea. that is some forward thinking with how many people are getting smartphones these days. i would combine it with a sort of promotion that says "every tenth person to scan this recieves our album free" -- that would make so many more people actually take the few seconds to pull out their phone and scan about a random band.
09:52 PM on 09/10/12 
User Info.
Prowler
Auckland, New...
Male
Play a lot of shows.

This. And use the internet. By the way, check out my band Prowler
07:42 AM on 09/16/12 
User Info.
MattArkin
Freehold, NJ
Male - 22 Years Old
about to get that QR code for my band! thanks!

www.facebook.com/companycompany

:)
02:07 AM on 09/17/12 
User Info.
secularplague
Male - 32 Years Old
Shows are indeed the best way to get listened in your area, and the internet can bring lots of listeners and also new shows in places you never visited before.

I also like to market my band by sticking stickers in public places.
Oh and btw - If you're into 80's Hardcore Punk and/or Deathrock, check out my band : http://www.facebook.com/secularplague
01:37 PM on 09/18/12 
User Info.
SkateFirm21
on the brightside, she could choke.
PA
Male - 25 Years Old
We drink a lot and made Shot Glasses with an drinking lyric to one of our bigger songs.
02:09 PM on 09/18/12 
User Info.
OH_BE
Beard Life!
See if you can get on your university's radio....
10:37 AM on 09/19/12 
User Info.
Jay Evan
I've Made A Huge Mistake
Raleigh, NC
Male - 29 Years Old
Have a bunch of unprotected sex. Then you will get VD. Then when I am in the waiting room to be treated I just pass out demos and watch the fans roll in..
02:20 AM on 09/24/12 
User Info.
Prowler
Auckland, New...
Male
Have a bunch of unprotected sex. Then you will get VD. Then when I am in the waiting room to be treated I just pass out demos and watch the fans roll in..
This is a fantastic suggestion.
11:06 AM on 09/25/12 
User Info.
dearmsterri
Philadelphia
Male - 25 Years Old
I was in a band we used to print 4x4 promo papers and I would hang them, put them in local businesses, universities/colleges, I put some in my high school in the lockers to get word out. It was pretty fun believe it or not. We had a hookup for free copies too, so it wasn't money for us.
12:02 PM on 09/25/12 
User Info.
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
FL
Male - 23 Years Old
Go to a crowded area, plug in amps, set up drum set, and just start playing. You'll get noticed, that's for sure.
01:35 AM on 09/26/12 
User Info.
KrisValentine
Shut up, watching Star Trek<3
No Avatar Selected
Get a female lead singer who is ready to send nude pictures out on twitter (y)
12:37 PM on 10/01/12 
User Info.
secularplague
Male - 32 Years Old
Get a female lead singer who is ready to send nude pictures out on twitter (y)

Seriously, a hot singer (female or male) with a poser attitude will get you fans even if your music sucks. But well, then, don't play punk, just make some more crappy music like you hear everyday on the radio.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos