AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
All Time Low News - Page 12
Displaying posts 165 - 180 of 321.
08:05 PM on 10/02/12
peewhai
User Info.
They are a band I feel will forever be compared to their debut releases; regardless if they progress in a positive or negative way.

The best example I could give would have to be NFG. They progressed in a great way I thought on Coming Home but the majority of their fans didn't agree, now they make music that sounds like their old stuff, but it isn't a progression.

Some bands can't win, but I agree with you.
You couldn't have picked a better example. NFG's Coming Home was such a great record.

All in all I have nothing against All Time Low and wish them all the best, but after five releases a band should start dabbling into different territories.

Man, I gotta spin me some Coming Home right now. Thanks for the reminder. =)
08:07 PM on 10/02/12
JDubs66
Redesign Me, Redefine Me.
User Info.
This album RULES.

Guitars are spot on and intricate, as many have already said Rian Dawson absoutly KILLED it on this album, hot damn! Alex's voice and singing ability are the best i have heard yet here. And the lyrics are not bad at all, damn catchy!

So far my favorites are: So Long Soldier, Live and Let Go, Outlines, Paint You Wings and Somewhere In Neverland.

But the album as a whole is still sick, no crap in there at all, great from front to back!
08:08 PM on 10/02/12
peewhai
User Info.
Tom Delonge was 25 when he wrote Blink-182's untitled record.
08:12 PM on 10/02/12
Ozma822
User Info.
08:14 PM on 10/02/12
Playsw/Squirels
Duckies Rule!!
User Info.
You couldn't have picked a better example. NFG's Coming Home was such a great record.

All in all I have nothing against All Time Low and wish them all the best, but after five releases a band should start dabbling into different territories.

Man, I gotta spin me some Coming Home right now. Thanks for the reminder. =)
I have to disagree with you man. They have tried. Every single album has been stylistically different. From Put Up Or Shut Up to this album. Too Much was a total digression from what they usually were doing. A lot of Dirty Work minus Do YOu Want Me, Forget About It, Under A Paper Moon, and osme others was a complete digression which is a lot of people got turned off by the album because it sounded too forced that they were trying to appeal to different audiences. And this album tries to have an influx of what they liked about their past albums.

Not really sure how oyu can say Dirty Work and Dont Panic sound like the Party Scene or PUOSU. Their change and development in style is like the reason a lot of people on this site are so turned off by them now. Maybe you are speaking lyrically and mabye I misunderstood (if so Im sorry), but musically I respectfully disagree.
08:15 PM on 10/02/12
Fringe
highfive
User Info.
You need to simmer down a bit. This is a conversation. There's no need to take any of this personally.
All I'm trying to say, is that even Simple Plan showed signs of progression in the four albums they put. Does that mean they're the best band on earth? Absolutely not. But by the time they put out their self-titled record, you could tell they were trying a little bit.

I personally own all of All Time Low's records. I just think bands should try and mature a bit with their fanbase. They're not 17 year-olds anymore.

Mark Hoppus was 28 when Blink released Take Off Your Pants and Jacket, and 25 for Enema of the State... All Time Low guys are all like 24-ish.
08:21 PM on 10/02/12
JDubs66
Redesign Me, Redefine Me.
User Info.
I have to disagree with you man. They have tried. Every single album has been stylistically different. From Put Up Or Shut Up to this album. Too Much was a total digression from what they usually were doing. A lot of Dirty Work minus Do YOu Want Me, Forget About It, Under A Paper Moon, and osme others was a complete digression which is a lot of people got turned off by the album because it sounded too forced that they were trying to appeal to different audiences. And this album tries to have an influx of what they liked about their past albums.

Not really sure how oyu can say Dirty Work and Dont Panic sound like the Party Scene or PUOSU. Their change and development in style is like the reason a lot of people on this site are so turned off by them now. Maybe you are speaking lyrically and mabye I misunderstood (if so Im sorry), but musically I respectfully disagree.
I was about to reply with something similar to this haha the band did try "Dabbling into different territories" on Dirty Work, and obviously alot of people hated that.. haha
08:27 PM on 10/02/12
mms13
User Info.
Ahhh I really wish Anthony Raneri had a solo part in "So Long Soldier"!!
08:29 PM on 10/02/12
peewhai
User Info.

I can definitely tell that musically they've slowed the pace quite a bit, and tried different vibes. I'm not saying they should start recording their vocals underwater, or anything. I just feel like they could do so much more if they really put their collective mind into it.

Too much was indeed a very good track but it was also co-written by someone in a completely different 'scene', hence why it sounded so different.

They just sound so god damned perfect, and that's what pisses me off. The drums are edited to the freakin' grid, the guitars sound like keyboards. By the fifth record, ESPECIALLY after the Interscope fiasco, I expected them to be a little angrier. To have a lot more balls.

This new record just sounds like they played it really safe, knowing that the only way to stay relevant was to go back to their older sound and keep their fans happy, as well as their pockets full.
08:31 PM on 10/02/12
Playsw/Squirels
Duckies Rule!!
User Info.
This album RULES.

Guitars are spot on and intricate, as many have already said Rian Dawson absoutly KILLED it on this album, hot damn! Alex's voice and singing ability are the best i have heard yet here. And the lyrics are not bad at all, damn catchy!

So far my favorites are: So Long Soldier, Live and Let Go, Outlines, Paint You Wings and Somewhere In Neverland.

But the album as a whole is still sick, no crap in there at all, great from front to back!

Congrats to us for predicting how amazing this album was going to be. Since weve been talking about this release for about... the whole year haha I feel obligated to converse about how awesome this album turned out to be. I had my doubts, but this album exceeded my expectations. You can really hear the influences of different albums like Alex said he was going to do. Somewhere In Neverland has the tambourine in the chorus like Nothing Personal had almost every song. So Long Soldier has the same melody of Circles, the album has the most catchy melodies which is Alex's specialty (and what Dirty Work lacked). Irony is basically the good version of "That Girl".

We basically have the same exact favorite songs haha Favorite right now is Live And Let Go, with Paint You Wings, Let Me Be Me, Somewhere In Neverland, So Long Soldier, and If These Sheets Were States all being instant favorites from this band. (yes that is half of the album).

Only songs Im underwhelemed with are Reckless, For Baltimore, and Outlines surprisingly. And there not even bad songs, just not to the level of the rest of the album. Outlines is an amazing song and not to alleviate its particular awesome FOB sound and presence of Vena, but chorus reminds me too much of Time Bomb with the high hat. It makes the song almost dancey, when it should be more rock with crash cymbals.

Idk about you man...but instant favorite album from this band. Mike Green and Alex really just pushed them to a new level and finally they got "their sound" right. the guitars, the power, the drums, the catchiness, and the atmosphere just finally cohered for them into the perfect combination. Couldnt have been happier with this album.
08:37 PM on 10/02/12
mattregan
www.twitter.com/vipregan
User Info.
*Dives in*
08:44 PM on 10/02/12
Playsw/Squirels
Duckies Rule!!
User Info.
I can definitely tell that musically they've slowed the pace quite a bit, and tried different vibes. I'm not saying they should start recording their vocals underwater, or anything. I just feel like they could do so much more if they really put their collective mind into it.

Too much was indeed a very good track but it was also co-written by someone in a completely different 'scene', hence why it sounded so different.

They just sound so god damned perfect, and that's what pisses me off. The drums are edited to the freakin' grid, the guitars sound like keyboards. By the fifth record, ESPECIALLY after the Interscope fiasco, I expected them to be a little angrier. To have a lot more balls.

This new record just sounds like they played it really safe, knowing that the only way to stay relevant was to go back to their older sound and keep their fans happy, as well as their pockets full.
I got you, but theyre only 24, and really this is the album they needed to write and really is a perfect blend of their past sounds. Dirty Work and the whole Interscope fiasco was probably really discouraging for them just in trying to be the biggest band they could be (which all bands want to do). This album really in my opinion was genius in the sense that it was an influx of their past success and allowed Alex and Green to play and really accomplish that. Production wise they definitely played a lot with using the stereo field and using different guitar sounds, and panning things different and reversing the phase (At least I think) of the guitar on I think it was Live And Let Go.

I think I get your image of them growing. Maybe into a more mature rock kind of sound. But pop rock is what this band is and having fun. We can just agree to diagree though :)
08:51 PM on 10/02/12
FTank
Blank
User Info.

Congrats to us for predicting how amazing this album was going to be. Since weve been talking about this release for about... the whole year haha I feel obligated to converse about how awesome this album turned out to be. I had my doubts, but this album exceeded my expectations. You can really hear the influences of different albums like Alex said he was going to do. Somewhere In Neverland has the tambourine in the chorus like Nothing Personal had almost every song. So Long Soldier has the same melody of Circles, the album has the most catchy melodies which is Alex's specialty (and what Dirty Work lacked). Irony is basically the good version of "That Girl".

We basically have the same exact favorite songs haha Favorite right now is Live And Let Go, with Paint You Wings, Let Me Be Me, Somewhere In Neverland, So Long Soldier, and If These Sheets Were States all being instant favorites from this band. (yes that is half of the album).

Only songs Im underwhelemed with are Reckless, For Baltimore, and Outlines surprisingly. And there not even bad songs, just not to the level of the rest of the album. Outlines is an amazing song and not to alleviate its particular awesome FOB sound and presence of Vena, but chorus reminds me too much of Time Bomb with the high hat. It makes the song almost dancey, when it should be more rock with crash cymbals.

Idk about you man...but instant favorite album from this band. Mike Green and Alex really just pushed them to a new level and finally they got "their sound" right. the guitars, the power, the drums, the catchiness, and the atmosphere just finally cohered for them into the perfect combination. Couldnt have been happier with this album.
Second that on Live and Let Go. I also really like Thanks to You. By far my least favorites are So Long Soldier (here comes the hate) and Outlines - it really does sound like Time Bomb, which I couldn't stand at all. And finally, I think Lifesaver is what Dirty Work would sound like if it were really good. It's the kind of sound that Dirty Work should have been.
08:53 PM on 10/02/12
DevinDomino
FUCKyeah
User Info.
Finally got to listen all the way through. I love the music. Musically, this is their strongest performance; Rian really fucking kills it. It's such a versatile record from a musical standpoint and they really brought out some medium-sized guns on guitars. Lyrically, it's miles and leaps and bounds and light years ahead of 85% of Dirty Work, but there are a few tracks that just aren't on par and feel a bit safe. But there are also some lyrics that are a nice, fresh breath of stretch for the band. I was underwhelmed at a few parts where I felt they could really take a song to the next level and then kinda played it safe once the chorus hit. No big deal considering there are a few tracks that really make up for other lyrical flubs. This is just my first listen and I'm really excited to jump back into it and revisit a few tracks that might have went over my head and hopefully this will all grow on me. Bottom line, the band and Mike Green did a fantastic job on this record and I'm glad to have All Time Low back in a more familiar setting.
08:53 PM on 10/02/12
smowashere
User Info.
I am now satisfied.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music