Female - 31 Years Old
Bye bye, Bobby V.
09:55 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Batman, for example, and Magellan.
Chicago
Male
If Cabrera wins, it'll be another year where we look back and wonder why Miguel Tejada won an MVP award. Or the two years that Juan Gonzalez won MVPs he shouldn't have touched (especially 1996 - gross).

This is the year of Mike Trout, and he's been the best player in baseball since he was called up. No reason to deny him the MVP he earned.
11:00 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
ForlrnPerplxity
Call me Brosnan
Everywhere
Male - 28 Years Old
I can't tell you how much it bugs me that people throw defense out the window like it doesn't matter. It's just like when people wanted Ryan Braun to win over Tulo for ROTY in 2007.
11:03 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
rcrook
Damage Control
Marlins aggressively seeking a replacement for Ozzie Guillen
11:07 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Chicago
Male
Does anybody know if Postseason.TV would be worth it for someone with MLB.TV who wants to watch all the playoff games LIVE but doesn't have TBS or FOX? I'd want to hook my computer up to the TV and watch them that way. Alternatively, I'll be spending every night at Buffalo Wild Wings or finding illegal low-quality streams.
11:09 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
domotime2
Like You Know Whatever
New Jersey
Male - 28 Years Old
Cabrera leads in Batting average (barely), Slugging %, OPS (because OPS is flawed in that it puts more weight on SLG than OBP, and Trout has a higher OBP), RBIs, HR, and Runs Created (by only 1, which speaks more to Trout's ability than Cabrera's).

I wouldn't call that a "myriad of stats." This isn't about WAR vs. "old-school stats."

It's about common-sense: it's not the most valuable HITTER award. Even if it was, Trout's been worth more offensive WAR. Trout's done more "in the clutch" (going by Win Probability Added) than any other player in the league (Cabrera is fourth). Cabrera's defense has COST his team runs.

Trout has been an all-around better player.

But here's the only issue...since Trout has the tools to be a better player (his speed allows him to score more, avoid more outs, steal more bases, cover more ground, be a better overall fielder), isn't he going to have the edge over a player like Cabrera every year?

also, im confused to why slugging wouldnt be weighed more than obp? wouldn't the amount of bases a player obtains in a certain hit outweigh the ability of a player to reach first base in an at-bat? A players ability to get to 2nd, 3rd or homer, is more helpful than whether or not a player is able to reach first..at least that sounds like it makes sense to me. Trout only leads cabrear by ops+ by 006 as well.

Plus Trout only leads Cabrera in obp by .006, which isnt anything significant. Also, I don't know how sabermetrics weighs strike outs, but Trout did strike out almost 50 times more than Cabrera, in 60 less abs (which i'm aware is irrelevant since we all ready talked about obp), but the inability to put a ball in play is surely something to consider.

but regardless of ALL this....i still don't understand how someone could be furious of Cabrera wins the mvp. we've gone back and forth and discussed all the stats at nausium. Clearly Cabrera does lead in a BUNCH of modern statistics...if you want to just discard all of them, then i guess there's nothing you can do, he did do something no player has done in 40 years (which has to mean SOMETHING). Even if its just an anomaly or a goofy thing, it's still something that just isn't accomplished very often. BUt i also understand that Trout's value, his WAR, is something of a rarity too, which is why I acknowledge the fact that if he won i wouldnt be upset. But i DONt get why someone be furious if Cabrera won.

I mean you're comparing Miguel Cabrera to Juan-Gone...a Juan-gone who in a steroids era, in 1996, didn't lead in a single basic statistic. Juan-Gone's war in 96 was 3.5, with an oWar of 4.4. Miggy's war's are in the 7s. You're diminishing Miguel Cabrera's season far too much.
11:10 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
SamuelJLast
What's Yahoo Screen?
Ipswich, UK
Male - 28 Years Old
MLB.TV is worth it, and looking at what Postseason.TV is offering I'd say it was definitely worth it. If the Rangers make it past the Wild Card I'd be tempted to get it.
11:18 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
MyBestFiend
The People's Champion
South Philly
Male - 22 Years Old
But here's the only issue...since Trout has the tools to be a better player (his speed allows him to score more, avoid more outs, steal more bases, cover more ground, be a better overall fielder), isn't he going to have the edge over a player like Cabrera every year?

Are you seriously saying that Miguel Cabrera should be graded on a curve because Mike Trout is more athletically talented?
11:18 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
domotime2
Like You Know Whatever
New Jersey
Male - 28 Years Old
but regardless, i think i've had enough MVP/cy young talk for now haha. Miguel Cabrera doesn't NEED this mvp for his career. This will be his 6th top 5 mvp...the guy's going to the hall of fame, so it doesn't really matter. It's not like Dickey where this will probably be his only shot at a major award.
11:21 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
rcrook
Damage Control
Jim Rome made a good point. Cabrera is a better hitter but Trout is a better player.
11:22 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
domotime2
Like You Know Whatever
New Jersey
Male - 28 Years Old
Are you seriously saying that Miguel Cabrera should be graded on a curve because Mike Trout is more athletically talented?

No...but i do acknolwedge that they're two different style of players, and that's something to consider when comparing the two players.
11:24 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
Indianapolis
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
Braun for MVP!!!!!
11:26 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
MyBestFiend
The People's Champion
South Philly
Male - 22 Years Old
No...but i do acknolwedge that they're two different style of players, and that's something to consider when comparing the two players.

Explain this. Because it sounds like you're trying to say that since Cabrera is a great hitter we should ignore his below average fielding and baserunning.
11:28 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
xbrokendownx
Lets Go.
Southampton, PA
Male - 28 Years Old
Platinum Member
11:30 AM on 10/04/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Chicago
Male

also, im confused to why slugging wouldnt be weighed more than obp? wouldn't the amount of bases a player obtains in a certain hit outweigh the ability of a player to reach first base in an at-bat? A players ability to get to 2nd, 3rd or homer, is more helpful than whether or not a player is able to reach first..at least that sounds like it makes sense to me. Trout only leads cabrear by ops+ by 006 as well.

Plus Trout only leads Cabrera in obp by .006, which isnt anything significant. Also, I don't know how sabermetrics weighs strike outs, but Trout did strike out almost 50 times more than Cabrera, in 60 less abs (which i'm aware is irrelevant since we all ready talked about obp), but the inability to put a ball in play is surely something to consider.

but regardless of ALL this....i still don't understand how someone could be furious of Cabrera wins the mvp. we've gone back and forth and discussed all the stats at nausium. Clearly Cabrera does lead in a BUNCH of modern statistics...if you want to just discard all of them, then i guess there's nothing you can do, he did do something no player has done in 40 years (which has to mean SOMETHING). Even if its just an anomaly or a goofy thing, it's still something that just isn't accomplished very often. BUt i also understand that Trout's value, his WAR, is something of a rarity too, which is why I acknowledge the fact that if he won i wouldnt be upset. But i DONt get why someone be furious if Cabrera won.

I mean you're comparing Miguel Cabrera to Juan-Gone...a Juan-gone who in a steroids era, in 1996, didn't lead in a single basic statistic. Juan-Gone's war in 96 was 3.5, with an oWar of 4.4. Miggy's war's are in the 7s. You're diminishing Miguel Cabrera's season far too much.

Because it's WRONG. Miguel Cabrera is not the AL's most valuable player in 2012. There isn't a rational argument that says that he is.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos