AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

10:19 AM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
skanal1
London
Male - 20 Years Old
Hey I'm hosting a punk show on the campus radio station at my university, just wondering if you guys have any tips or suggestions on what music to play and what kinds of things I should do on it. Thanks
11:50 AM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
Regards
The Silver Shore
Wisconsin
Male - 25 Years Old
Step 1) Who is your demographic
Step 2) What do they want to hear
11:51 AM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
Dbollus
djdbollus.tumblr.com
Holden, MA
Male - 24 Years Old
When I was in college a lot of my friends did radio shows. Number one thing they all shared was exposing new local bands. That's the best way to go.
12:38 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
only the clouds
throw your body on the bad times
Amherst, MA
Male - 22 Years Old
^that is a good tip. I'd just play little-known bands in general.

Fun fact: I used to host a radio show for punk and hardcore. Our #1 demographic was the inmates of local prisons. Who apparently are big fans of hardcore.
01:17 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
skanal1
London
Male - 20 Years Old
Step 1) Who is your demographic
Step 2) What do they want to hear
I want to get people into the genre rather than satisfying the 10 people who listen to hardcore on campus. they probably want to hear pop punk stuff but more mature and developed im guessing. like dear landlord? etc
01:18 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
skanal1
London
Male - 20 Years Old
When I was in college a lot of my friends did radio shows. Number one thing they all shared was exposing new local bands. That's the best way to go.
yeah good idea, im thinking to start with The Murderburgers because they're local.
01:18 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
bradsonemanband
Change To Fire/Cootie Catcher
Provo, UT
Male - 28 Years Old
feel free to use any and/or every song from my band's album.
www.changetofire.bandcamp.com
www.facebook.com/changetofire
01:35 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
swboyd
The Screaming Wind
Chicago, IL
Male - 25 Years Old
Just play whatever the fuck you want. In terms of actual radio play, a majority of what this site covers isn't played on mainstream radio. I know when I did radio at my undergraduate university that I couldn't play stuff like Metallica or Avenged Sevenfold, but I could basically play anything like Lamb of God and beyond in terms of obscurity (I was a metal DJ).
01:52 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
Regards
The Silver Shore
Wisconsin
Male - 25 Years Old
I want to get people into the genre rather than satisfying the 10 people who listen to hardcore on campus. they probably want to hear pop punk stuff but more mature and developed im guessing. like dear landlord? etc

If you have a style in mind, find the demo and play to it. I've worked in Radio now for 9 years, and this is the biggest tip I can give someone who's just getting into it.
02:11 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
duritzfan13
Order inspires disorder
NJ
Male
Start some sort of Facebook page or something for your show, and ask local and small bands to submit songs. I'm sure you'll get a pretty good response!
02:21 AM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
upthepunx
San Diego, CA
Male - 24 Years Old
I've always thought it would be rad to host punk radio. Local bands is the way to go, and getting -short- interviews of bands that have some momentum in campus or in your community. They'll tell people to listen to them on your radio station, cross-advertising. play as wide a variety of punk as you can, top 10 stuff, deep cuts, thrash to scream... everybody knows the genre is huge, use it to your advantage.

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd get a velvety smooth voice.
06:11 AM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
friskycurtain
Registered Member
Don't play singles. Many people may only know a band by their singles, so exposing your audience to B-sides, bonus tracks, and non-singles would be a good idea.
06:22 AM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
skanal1
London
Male - 20 Years Old
I like this, i will play a song or two
User Info.
skanal1
London
Male - 20 Years Old
Don't play singles. Many people may only know a band by their singles, so exposing your audience to B-sides, bonus tracks, and non-singles would be a good idea.
thanks, good idea, will do!
User Info.
skanal1
London
Male - 20 Years Old
I've always thought it would be rad to host punk radio. Local bands is the way to go, and getting -short- interviews of bands that have some momentum in campus or in your community. They'll tell people to listen to them on your radio station, cross-advertising. play as wide a variety of punk as you can, top 10 stuff, deep cuts, thrash to scream... everybody knows the genre is huge, use it to your advantage.

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd get a velvety smooth voice.
such a good idea, i will try this as well

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version