Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 40 of 40
07:36 PM on 10/09/12
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
I would love to hear some music by any one of the people bashing on this album and have theirs be better...

feel free to check out Called to Arms, but it's an entirely different style of music...

Regardless, being in a band isn't a requirement to judge music. I've been a fan of Gibbards since probably '98. I enjoy the first 6 DCFC albums up through "Plans," the All-Time Quarterback stuff, and The Postal Service. However, this album didn't do anything for me. That's just my opinion though. Everyone is entitled to their own; I'm not saying that anyone else can't enjoy this.
10:29 PM on 10/09/12
PopPunkKid
extremely old username
User Info.
Well, so far I'm liking this a lot more than the last Death Cab album. Very upbeat and catchy choruses. This is honestly the side of Death Cab I liked the most and wished they had done more often... Narrow Stairs was by far my favorite album by them.
11:11 PM on 10/09/12
RayJoonya
DreamofSleeping.com
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
AOTY, no competition.

I agree with everything you post.
05:40 AM on 10/10/12
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Oh no..not a huge fan of Narrow Stairs, or Codes & Keys. I was bummed I forgot to pre-order this and was hoping to read some good reception on the thread, but..
10:11 AM on 10/10/12
Austin Davis
god damn, this just feels right
User Info.
feel free to check out Called to Arms, but it's an entirely different style of music...

Regardless, being in a band isn't a requirement to judge music. I've been a fan of Gibbards since probably '98. I enjoy the first 6 DCFC albums up through "Plans," the All-Time Quarterback stuff, and The Postal Service. However, this album didn't do anything for me. That's just my opinion though. Everyone is entitled to their own; I'm not saying that anyone else can't enjoy this.
I wasn't calling you out personally. It was a general comment. But it's really frustrating on this site how so many people come here just to judge music in a negative way and nit pick all the finest details. Sure, maybe it's not his best but you can't say it's awful, or terrible, or forgettable.

That being said, I like it but I was hoping for something similar to the Home split.
11:25 AM on 10/10/12
iamrome
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Ok, i dont ever comment on forums, but as an artist and a listener i have to give my opinion on criticism. 1st, this is something created by a person, be it good or bad to the listener its still a creation that deserves respect. When making an album a lot of music gets thrown out cause only so many songs can make the disc. I always wonder and wish to hear what was canned cause some songs i may dislike but some i could find amazing. its always nice to hear what the artist tries to create, if you have an idea go with it, if you don't like it that's fine but the effort was there and i applaud the fact that we are given the chance to hear it. consonant vs dissonant
12:26 PM on 10/10/12
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
I wasn't calling you out personally. It was a general comment. But it's really frustrating on this site how so many people come here just to judge music in a negative way and nit pick all the finest details. Sure, maybe it's not his best but you can't say it's awful, or terrible, or forgettable.

That being said, I like it but I was hoping for something similar to the Home split.

Understood. I do agree that I wouldn't say it is awful or terrible at all though. Those words get thrown around too often. I think the problem that happens with someone like Ben is that there are so many expectations associated with him because of all his success and all the awesome stuff he has been associated with over the years that it is easy to be disappointed.

I for one was pretty bored by it, but I definitely wouldn't say it is terrible. I've just heard so much better from him.
02:53 PM on 10/10/12
kyleYM&EWK
Kyle / YM&EWK
User Info.
There is NO way this is serious.
dead serious. he's been my favorite songwriter forever though. dude's a modern day mccartney.
03:08 PM on 10/10/12
WRLD ART
User Info.
dead serious. he's been my favorite songwriter forever though. dude's a modern day mccartney.
Well to each their own! haha.
09:00 AM on 10/12/12
quiksilver21k
User Info.
I think this album is great. Yes, it's nothing like Death Cab but that was the intention. Ben mentioned that these were songs that just didn't seem to fit onto DCFC albums. Duncan Where Have You Gone is absolutely beautiful. Something's Rattling is just so damn strange and interesting and the backup vocals are stellar. Dream Song kicks off the album with a great alt-country-rock jam to get you moving. Overall, I enjoy this album very much.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos