Username
Password

Comments: Page 10
Displaying posts 135 - 150 of 235
02:32 PM on 10/11/12
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I gotta go to town but I plan to listen to this tonight multiple times.
02:34 PM on 10/11/12
Sheluligans
Focus on the horizon.
User Info.
This definitely might be better than Cities. I'm so happy this is as good as I was hoping it would be.
02:40 PM on 10/11/12
cjudge90
User Info.
I just think their older songs have better structures and hooks to them. Songs like the resistance, dismantle repair, paperthin hymn etc are heavy but heavy in the right moments. Some of these new songs sound like a mess to me, heavy guitar which isn't really that rythmic, loud synth from the 80's that sounds like a video game ... its so cluttered. I feel like you need to let a song breathe on its own, and the new songs don't possess that. They seemed so forced
the synths integrate into the sound so organically I can't possibly see how you're complaining about them. It's not like they overtake any of the guitar work, melody or lyrics. they complement at most points, and only lead when they're meant to. the production on this record is pristine
02:47 PM on 10/11/12
jtalep
Save Me From Myself
User Info.
As much as I love Neal Avron, he was not the right fit for that band after Cities IMO.
Agreed.
02:53 PM on 10/11/12
donwagenblast
@mylifeisdon
User Info.
I feel like this is the culmination of all the things Anberlin have tried to do on previous releases, tightened and refined. Awesome album, may very well be their best.
02:54 PM on 10/11/12
MGAdams
Ooh Waah You Connect Me
User Info.
I think the synths wouldn't be possible with someone like Neil Avron or Brendan O'Brien. Anberlin's sound is and has always been perfected with their "6th Beatle," or Aaron Sprinkle.

Not going to lie, though, I was nervous because the synth history with Sprinkle included misses like Mathematics. Luckily this album is fricken amazing and the balance is, as you said, prisitine.
03:19 PM on 10/11/12
aspartame
so more to life
User Info.
lmao settle down ap

this isn't better than cities
03:25 PM on 10/11/12
Iriathz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I could most definitely like this!
03:25 PM on 10/11/12
chrisdazzo
Discarnate, preternatural.
User Info.
So good. Wish I had better quality - can't enjoy it like this.
03:26 PM on 10/11/12
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
Their best album to date, easily.
03:26 PM on 10/11/12
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
lmao settle down ap

I think as a whole- it is.
03:43 PM on 10/11/12
jtalep
Save Me From Myself
User Info.
lmao settle down ap

Yeh, I am a Cities loyalist through and through don't get me wrong...but musically, this album provides more depth in some areas. Lyrically, Cities definitely still has the edge, but melody wise Vital just sneaks in front.

To be honest this Cities Vs. every other album they do is getting boring. Cities definitely had a vibe about it, and that's why it connects with so many of us, but Vital displays a massive amount of growth and I for one see it as a suitable follow up and a step forward. I think one of the reasons Cities is adored so much is because of the two albums that came after it. Cities set people up, they signed to a major label, everyone was expecting their next album to be massive...instead we got New Surrender, which on its own merit is a good album...but it just wasn't the follow up to Cities everyone was expecting, so people kind of went back to Cities until they produced something better. Well of course, Dark didn't deliver for the most part, so again, Cities remained the album of choice.

I think Vital is what New Surrender should have been, and maybe now Cities has a suitable follow up this comparison can die down a little.
03:52 PM on 10/11/12
low_rising
Registered Member
User Info.
other side, orpheum, type 3 and modern age are probably my faves thus far.
03:53 PM on 10/11/12
contra11mundum
I am not magnificent.
User Info.
I think the biggest battle against topping Cities at this point is nostalgia.
03:53 PM on 10/11/12
Bruycker
User Info.
The outro to Modern Age is probably the best part of music they've done IMO.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos