Username
Password
Money News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 34.
10:04 PM on 10/11/12
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I think the assumption they're making, which is the assumption that I would make were I in a band in this position, is that anyone who cares enough to donate money to help them make a record already owns their pre-existing music in some capacity.
I get that but I mean this is the only one of these things I have ever seen where you don't get a digital download or a cd of the new album when its done. I get that they wanna sell it and that is all good but if fans are willing to give 20-100+ throwing in a copy of the album seems standard. Even assuming the band is going for a full digital only release and no hard copies this time around which I have seen bands do tacking on a digital copy can't hurt them that much especially when it really gives the fans that want this album out so much what they really want in the end. These things are meant to be mutually beneficial. Money is given to the band to record a record with hopes it will be good and rewards are given to the backers for their contribution to making the album release possible.

I will buy the album when it comes out and if the singer asked for a bit of help (I know the guy) I would easily give him a 10 or something but I just don't see the need (personally...not speaking for everyone) to go through this whole process.
10:06 PM on 10/11/12
messiguy01
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Lotta gimme gimmes in here. I would hope everyone's first intention would be 'I'd love to help them out any way I can' and that it doesn't fly out the window when one realizes perks are involved. I may not always have cash for merch at shows but I'll throw a fiver in the tip bucket without hesitation.

Regardless, glad to see folks are throwing some big support their way. Great dudes with honest heart for making music.
10:34 PM on 10/11/12
HCO SF 87
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Well it's 750 for Dinner, two tickets to a show, meet and greet, skype performance, thank you liner note, skype chat, t-shirt/stickers, personalized auto and a personal tweet.
Oh I didn't see that. It's still a huge amount for what you get.
11:30 PM on 10/11/12
henry chinaski
User Info.
Damn that clip sounds great
01:41 AM on 10/12/12
PermanentTourists
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hilarious rewards
02:36 AM on 10/12/12
Avalanche1
Keep running, keep shining on
User Info.
Dumb rewards
03:07 AM on 10/12/12
likedyingy0ung
I should have crashed the car
User Info.
I get that but I mean this is the only one of these things I have ever seen where you don't get a digital download or a cd of the new album when its done. I get that they wanna sell it and that is all good but if fans are willing to give 20-100+ throwing in a copy of the album seems standard. Even assuming the band is going for a full digital only release and no hard copies this time around which I have seen bands do tacking on a digital copy can't hurt them that much especially when it really gives the fans that want this album out so much what they really want in the end. These things are meant to be mutually beneficial. Money is given to the band to record a record with hopes it will be good and rewards are given to the backers for their contribution to making the album release possible.

I will buy the album when it comes out and if the singer asked for a bit of help (I know the guy) I would easily give him a 10 or something but I just don't see the need (personally...not speaking for everyone) to go through this whole process.
I know Brandon as well, we grew up in the same town and I sold merch for them at one of their first shows where they actually had merch to sell. To start, I thought people were saying a copy of like Flourescent Youth should be thrown in, so my fault there. As far as throwing a copy of the album in once it's done, yeah it would be nice, but I can see why they wouldn't do it. The reason that they can't afford to record now is because like it or not, they haven't done well financially with their previous releases. They can't guarantee this album will sell well enough to make them back more than what they spend making it, and yeah, it sucks, but it's just not a wise business move. They care about the fans certainly, but they're trying to make things happen to where they can get this recorded AND tour on it, and they're trying to be smart in order to accomplish that. They did offer a surplus of rewards to anyone paying high amounts, and yeah, only the $25 package seems really fitting, but even if they threw the album in, would it make everything in the $750 package seem worth $750 to you? They can only do so much. That being said, I like their music alot and the shirt I bought from them when FY came out has a hole in it, so I'm going to cash out $25 when I get paid to do my bit and replace it all in one.
04:07 AM on 10/12/12
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
Shit, they've taken ages. I thought they were already recording
They are!

I'm really excited to hear new music especially because of the team they're working with but yeah, not liking these rewards much.
05:25 AM on 10/12/12
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I know Brandon as well, we grew up in the same town and I sold merch for them at one of their first shows where they actually had merch to sell. To start, I thought people were saying a copy of like Flourescent Youth should be thrown in, so my fault there. As far as throwing a copy of the album in once it's done, yeah it would be nice, but I can see why they wouldn't do it. The reason that they can't afford to record now is because like it or not, they haven't done well financially with their previous releases. They can't guarantee this album will sell well enough to make them back more than what they spend making it, and yeah, it sucks, but it's just not a wise business move. They care about the fans certainly, but they're trying to make things happen to where they can get this recorded AND tour on it, and they're trying to be smart in order to accomplish that. They did offer a surplus of rewards to anyone paying high amounts, and yeah, only the $25 package seems really fitting, but even if they threw the album in, would it make everything in the $750 package seem worth $750 to you? They can only do so much. That being said, I like their music alot and the shirt I bought from them when FY came out has a hole in it, so I'm going to cash out $25 when I get paid to do my bit and replace it all in one.
Fair enough. I mean I may reconsider and donate for the sake of having this album and I get what you are saying but even the newest of bands recording maybe their first album or something normally have at least digital copies. Then again I have high hopes for this album as 2 albums I got through kickstarter this year have been absolutely amazing and return to form. I have 1 more coming which seems to be taking a darker approach which will be awesome for their genre. If there is any band that I knew locally that always release solid material though it is conditions.
06:33 AM on 10/12/12
jimmyeatsboys
User Info.
I really hope someone from this band is checking out the feedback in this thread and beyond. but offering these rewards with NO NEW MUSIC is ridiculous. at least throw a digital download at us if we're the ones funding the recording and reproduction for physical copies.
07:11 AM on 10/12/12
Davey_Owens
User Info.
Good Fight can't afford to send them to the studio? Fuck I love this band
07:31 AM on 10/12/12
dohare
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i can't wait to graduate, have a real job. and throw up $1,000 to have bands like this play table side at my apartment while i eat surf and turf.

but i'm throwing up for this, band has always been solid, but has ALWAYS missed out on a "WOW" type sound/song for me.
10:08 AM on 10/12/12
Jared Luttrell
VA punk pop.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Conditions are so fucking talented. It's weird that there is no digital release with this and weird that good fight can't come up with enough money to fund the whole record, but I will support just about anything these guys do. A digital download feels like a must though for backers.
10:20 AM on 10/12/12
snowboarderkid
Registered Member
User Info.
The rewards suck so this band isn't getting any money from me
11:47 AM on 10/12/12
brokenwings
Tear the scene down, start over.
User Info.
Awesome band, and I'm sure this album will rule.

However, I prefer the Kickstarter platform much more than Indiegogo. Anyone agree or disagree?
I agree. Kickstarter is a fantastic platform and I really don't feel like signing up for something new.
I would have probably donated some money if the rewards were better, however. The stuff they are offering is just bullshit. They should have taken a look at what other bands offer before starting something like this. Also, they should have chosen Kickstarter, which is just much more established.

And what exactly is their label good for, if they can't get the band in the studio? WTF? And how did Conditions finance the recording of their EPs when they were not on a label? Sorry, for whining around, but I just don't get this whole thing.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS