Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 44.
02:25 PM on 10/12/12
letdownagain
All my love to long ago.
User Info.
On first impression, there are songs here that are pretty strong and others a bit too down tempo and/or familiar to enjoy. I'm happy to see "The After Party" get properly touched up after floating around as a poor quality demo. My only beef right now is that "No Sides" vocal melodies sound too similar to KD's "You're Trailing Yourself" at points and I have a hard time not thinking of it. The vocal bit at the end sounds a bit like Weezer's "Pink Triangle" though, which I like. I personally didn't latch on to the last Bad Books, MO or KD albums, which I found really surprising. A good handful of songs from BTC&C eventually grew on me though. I hope the rest will, this included.
03:01 PM on 10/12/12
zkiserdesign
User Info.
The first album was great, but it was missing something. It probably sounds cliche by now, because almost every review has said it. The first record entitled "Bad Books" sounded like mix tape of songs by Kevin Devine/Right Away meets Manchester record. The album was almost a clash of the two the front man, as if they were fighting for dominance. This album a lot different, because they actually feed of each other. This album flows together, it doesn't sound like an Andy Hull track after a Kevin Devine track. It sounds like the super band they were predicted to be. This albums smooth, the first track grabs you right in by twisting your gut and the last track leaves you wanting more. You can't help but to think to yourself I hope there's some B-Sides. The lyrics are great on both sides and the music matches the words even better. Track for track it's amazing and when it's finished you can't help, but play it again. If you have been waiting this album to come out and haven't picked up yet, go get it right now! It will not disappoint you, I promise. This is the best album i have heard this year. The best track's on the album are "The After Party", "Forest Whitaker", "It Never Stops", "No Sides", "Petite More", and "42"
03:39 PM on 10/12/12
grimis16
User Info.
Way better than their first album, and I kinda like it more than the last Manchester album as well.
07:03 PM on 10/12/12
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
User Info.
I really don't get the Simple Math negativity. grate album
10:14 PM on 10/12/12
jonwangcb
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This.

Also, I don't think Drew gets the album name. I'm pretty sure Bad Books II is a tongue in cheek reference to Bad Boys II.
10:16 PM on 10/12/12
jonwangcb
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Also: " It’s a showcase of both artists learning how to play off their strengths instead of haphazardly copying and pasting."

huhwhat? These are two of the most creative songwriters out there. I don't know if anyone has ever accused Andy or Kevin of being redundant, if that is what you are implying.
10:31 PM on 10/12/12
JimmyAveningo
User Info.
simple math is Manchester's best record
this cd is better than the first BB
10:35 PM on 10/12/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
This.

Also, I don't think Drew gets the album name. I'm pretty sure Bad Books II is a tongue in cheek reference to Bad Boys II.

What's there to get? The title is II
10:37 PM on 10/12/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Also: " Itís a showcase of both artists learning how to play off their strengths instead of haphazardly copying and pasting."

huhwhat? These are two of the most creative songwriters out there. I don't know if anyone has ever accused Andy or Kevin of being redundant, if that is what you are implying.

First album felt disjointed and sounded like both artists were just taking what music their bands make and mashing it together instead of writing something together. This album is more consistent and cohesive
12:27 AM on 10/13/12
Eraux
Nothing Important Happened Today.
User Info.
Friendly Advice reminded me a lot of the early 90's alternative, strictly Nirvana
09:22 AM on 10/13/12
somekid773
I was a ghost on your birthday
User Info.
This album is definitely not "better" than Simple Math, but it is leaps and bounds above the first Bad Books record. I feel like there is such a hive mind on this website when one poster says this album is better than this album. What Simple Math brought to the table for Manchester Orchestra was an album of incredible depth and grandeur that Bad Books II doesn't accomplish. I love this new Bad Books record, but it's more of a fun listen to me than an awe inspiring immersing experience that Simple Math was, is, and will be for a long time.
09:26 AM on 10/13/12
benjammin07
User Info.
has anyone received any pre orders from any of the vendors yet?

also, two videos from the san diego show if anyone is interested. just uploaded them!

pyotr- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmJI2...ature=youtu.be

ambivelant/pensacola- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZE5J...ature=youtu.be
12:42 PM on 10/13/12
RuckerPark
OutwardsInWords.com
User Info.
i would say if any album resembled a grate. it would be this. i mean, just look at it!
01:55 PM on 10/13/12
louisrsr
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is top
02:39 PM on 10/13/12
midkay
i've found a new way
User Info.
You guys are crazy, Simple Math was incredible, not a weak track. This is great too from what I've heard so far.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums