Username
Password

10:21 PM on 10/14/12 
User Info.
tommylin
No Avatar Selected
Boston, MA
Male - 22 Years Old
Yes, I thought you had read our discussion about food because this is what we were saying... I mentioned I gained 30 pounds in two months when my dad went through chemo. I think you misunderstood what we were saying, I don't know.

An addiction to anything is because of the emotional comfort you associate with it, as bad for your health as it may be. Just because its food doesn't make it not an addiction. Marijuana is not addictive, but plenty of people here admitted to being addicted to it because of, again, the emotional comfort in times of stress.

And your comment about the counselor is obvious, guy. Everyone knows a counselor can't help you with any change if you aren't willing to help yourself so I don't know why you're telling me that. Also I think I meant "therapist-type counselor" if that's why you made that comment.

I understand that that was a difficult time for you, but to me your using that as excuse for you taking yourself out of the context of taking care of yourself and being responsible for your own well-being. In the end, we are the ones responsible for ourselves not others which from your post about the therapist you seem to understand.

An addiction comes from all areas not just emotional. Its physical (your bodies reaction to triggers whether it be chemicals or shit put into your system), mental (no discipline), and spiritual (degenerated spirit, lack of self). Also marijuana is addictive because of the high you get from it. Marijuana was not intended to be smoked, anything burnt should not be ingested into the body. Plus they put tons of chemicals and bullshit into it nowadays to increase the high you get from it to make it even more addictive.

So if you understand this concept therapist, then why are you going to him/her to get "help"?

Know that my intention is not to make you feel bad. I am just expressing my own insights into this matter.
10:34 PM on 10/14/12 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 26 Years Old
I understand that that was a difficult time for you, but to me your using that as excuse for you taking yourself out of the context of taking care of yourself and being responsible for your own well-being. In the end, we are the ones responsible for ourselves not others which from your post about the therapist you seem to understand.

An addiction comes from all areas not just emotional. Its physical (your bodies reaction to triggers whether it be chemicals or shit put into your system), mental (no discipline), and spiritual (degenerated spirit, lack of self). Also marijuana is addictive because of the high you get from it. Marijuana was not intended to be smoked, anything burnt should not be ingested into the body. Plus they put tons of chemicals and bullshit into it nowadays to increase the high you get from it to make it even more addictive.

So if you understand this concept therapist, then why are you going to him/her to get "help"?

Know that my intention is not to make you feel bad. I am just expressing my own insights into this matter.

For the record, I don't know who you're getting your marijuana from that puts in chemicals and shit, anything at all, into it, but that's just not right. That's what shady drug dealers do. Maybe because of where I live haha, but real shops and legit growers would never do that.

I'm going to a therapist because I need someone to listen to me and to give me an outlet to express my frustrations and weak times. I need someone to talk to to in an effort to manage the way I manage my emotional issues. I just need someone to fucking talk to who doesn't judge me. All of these things help me in controlling myself and the way I look at eating and balance that with me looooooving food. I also have a problem that when I do lose weight, I freak out over the change and that starts the cycle of relapse again.

Which leads me to acknowledging that I know you're not trying to make me feel bad and are just providing insight, but you're the reason I can only talk about this with other people who understand it. It's such a unique addiction/problem that people like you cannot even wrap your mind about why it's even as big a problem as it is and say things like "it's called put the fucking fork down." But thanks.
10:50 PM on 10/14/12 
User Info.
tommylin
No Avatar Selected
Boston, MA
Male - 22 Years Old
For the record, I don't know who you're getting your marijuana from that puts in chemicals and shit, anything at all, into it, but that's just not right. That's what shady drug dealers do. Maybe because of where I live haha, but real shops and legit growers would never do that.

I'm going to a therapist because I need someone to listen to me and to give me an outlet to express my frustrations and weak times. I need someone to talk to to in an effort to manage the way I manage my emotional issues. I just need someone to fucking talk to who doesn't judge me. All of these things help me in controlling myself. I also have a problem that when I do lose weight, I freak out over the change and that starts the cycle of relapse again.

Which leads me to acknowledging that I know you're not trying to make me feel bad and are just providing insight, but you're the reason I can only talk about this with other people who understand it. It's such a unique addiction that people like you cannot even wrap your mind about why it's even as big a problem as it is and say things like "it's called put the fucking fork down." But thanks.

Have you ever heard of GMO's or genetically modified organisms? All marijuana is genetically modified, just the way the government likes it. So on top of that if you aren't growing your own stuff...your getting a largely modified version of the original cannabis sativa on top of all those nasty chemicals. This type of high can be seriously addictive to the unstable individual.

You can only talk to people so much until you have to face yourself to make the change. once again i re-state, its not just about one aspect of you that has to change...its in addition to the other ones.
10:58 PM on 10/14/12 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 26 Years Old
Have you ever heard of GMO's or genetically modified organisms? All marijuana is genetically modified, just the way the government likes it. So even if your getting shit from the source, its still modified to such a large degree from the original cannabis sativa. The high can be seriously addictive to the unstable individual.

You can only talk to people so much until you have to face yourself to make the change. once again i re-state, its not just one aspect of you that has to change...its in addition to the other ones.

Okay.
My husband manages a medical marijuana shop. We know the growers personally. They grow it, bring it straight to the shop and it is a very tight-knit communal relationship. At no point does it pass through any hands of "the government" or any hands besides people we know personally. Nor would any proud grower offer a product that's been tampered with that would ruin the integrity of it being a natural medicine that grows the way God created it to. My husband has literally seen the plant naturally grown, cut, trimmed and delivered. This is how it operates. The government doesn't do anything to the treatment of the marijuana, and honestly that just sounds like either an uneducated conspiracy theory or maybe things practice very different in Massachusetts but honestly it's like pretty ridiculous to say "all marijuana" like it goes through these mass factories or something haha.

That got off topic. And if you don't believe me, just say okay and leave it because I don't want to argue off topic about something I literally am involved with and am surrounded by some of the most educated individuals on the topic. Like, in the world.

And back on topic, it seems you have your own opinion about counselor and therapists, which is fine. It works for some people and not for others.
11:17 PM on 10/14/12 
User Info.
kianacarly
I'm feeling strong and moving on
Oregon
Female - 21 Years Old
Too all the individuals talking about food as it relates to addiction. Yeah food is very addictive because of all the additives and chemicals loaded into processed foods. The government and corporations have an agenda to keep us at a low state, and with food we have been manipulated and controlled by the standard american diet. All processed foods are denatured and thus altered to fit the consumption in the form of pleasure. The pleasure comes at a price.

My motto is : eat to live....eat organic foods, increase your vegetable and fruit uptake. You will feel much better physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually etc. If you keep this up you will be able to control your addiction and not let the addiction control you. If you want to start taking control of your diet, make that first step. Set your mind to it.

I don't get how this is relevant to what we were talking about at all. There is a difference between eating junk because it tastes good and not being able to stop, and eating because you need to fill some emotional void. The problem is not with the additives in food, but the mindset that tells you that food equals comfort. Eating can be a comfort, or it can be a punishment, such as being down on yourself and then eating a bunch of greasy junk to punish your body. It is more of a psychological issue.

I thought that was just me, but I agree nighttime is the worst! For me it's especially hard because my husband is a junk food guy so it's hard because I either have to tell him "no we can't eat from there for dinner" if its just something he wants because I can't eat there, and making food at home sucks because I'll make a really awesome fatty meal for him and then go back and make like a salad for myself.

I tell my friends, for someone like me, trying to just eat less is seriously like a second job, it's just something that's constantly on my mind that I can't just relax throughout the day over it.

It's the worst, and when I try to talk about it with people they just roll their eyes and tell me I'm skinny so I should shut up. Like, just because I have a decent metabolism doesn't mean I have some amazing and healthy relationship with food. I have an awful relationship with it stemming from like age 10. It's a hard thing to change. Have you tried confiding in him and asking him to try and eat healthy with you? It is so difficult when someone you're always around is doing the thing you're trying to cut out. Even if he can't cut it completely, he might be willing to try new recipes with you. I was always forcing my ex to make me random weird recipes I found online haha
06:10 AM on 10/15/12 
User Info.
tommylin
No Avatar Selected
Boston, MA
Male - 22 Years Old
I don't get how this is relevant to what we were talking about at all. There is a difference between eating junk because it tastes good and not being able to stop, and eating because you need to fill some emotional void. The problem is not with the additives in food, but the mindset that tells you that food equals comfort. Eating can be a comfort, or it can be a punishment, such as being down on yourself and then eating a bunch of greasy junk to punish your body. It is more of a psychological issue.

...What? It has everything to do with it. The additives plus the emotional comforts both play an equal role in the addiction. People underestimate the addictive power of salt and refined white sugar as well as the many other components within junk food. Nature does not present you with foods that causes unhealthy cravings towards it. Only when man steps in and manipulates the food process does the following occur.

And when you add that on to the stressors of society, boom....it is quite easy to see how someone can become so attached to food.
06:14 AM on 10/15/12 
User Info.
ChelseaRiane
<3
Buffalo, NY
Female - 21 Years Old
He's kinda right. When you're looking for comfort you're going to grab something unhealthy versus healthy because you're addicted to the additives in unhealthy food.
09:48 AM on 10/15/12 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 26 Years Old
Okay, well this has been really great in hearing how we're the only people who are wrong about our own problems but I'm gonna go ahead and end the conversation here. Thanks for your input guys, it was super duper helpful and considerate. Peace!
09:54 AM on 10/15/12 
User Info.
ChelseaRiane
<3
Buffalo, NY
Female - 21 Years Old
I'm not saying you're wrong. What he said makes sense. Whether you're addicted to healthy or unhealthy foods, its still an addiction. It just seems worse when its to unhealthy foods. And people are gonna lean more towards the unhealthy foods when seeking comfort

EDIT: also, I'm sure, just like any addictions, its more complex than what meets the eye. What he's saying could just be another component to this addiction, whether you realize it or not. It doesn't mean you're wrong or he's wrong, its just another way of looking at it.
10:06 AM on 10/15/12 
User Info.
sjb2k1
the bull city
Female - 31 Years Old
where are you getting your sketchy ass weed bro?
10:07 AM on 10/15/12 
User Info.
ChelseaRiane
<3
Buffalo, NY
Female - 21 Years Old
where are you getting your sketchy ass weed bro?

This was my next concern...
10:08 AM on 10/15/12 
User Info.
sjb2k1
the bull city
Female - 31 Years Old
This was my next concern...
like maybe if i was still getting dimes from the heroin dealers on Ave D in rochester....
10:10 AM on 10/15/12 
User Info.
ChelseaRiane
<3
Buffalo, NY
Female - 21 Years Old
like maybe if i was still getting dimes from the heroin dealers on Ave D in rochester....

Hahah, possibly. But even then I'm sure its untouched
10:12 AM on 10/15/12 
User Info.
sjb2k1
the bull city
Female - 31 Years Old
Hahah, possibly. But even then I'm sure its untouched
yes if i recall all turned out well...besides the teenage girls driving through the worst ghetto lolol how am i not dead
10:15 AM on 10/15/12 
User Info.
ChelseaRiane
<3
Buffalo, NY
Female - 21 Years Old
yes if i recall all turned out well...besides the teenage girls driving through the worst ghetto lolol how am i not dead

I used to buy from the sketchiest people, I feel ya there. Haha

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version