MXP
aka Max Phillips
User Info.
WANT THIS SOOOOOOOO BAD!!!!!
03:32 PM on 10/23/12
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
really? He's always had that anarchist style, that lyric is a simple, broad way of showing that. Maybe I was too vague but I more or less related that lyric to the entire attitude of this album and not necessarily his entire body of work.
I agree that anarchism and rebellion (more just general going against the grain) are two topics that he normally deals heavily in, but he's frequently very poignant and thoughtful when dealing in those themes. I understood the point you were going for, it's just that such a simple and brash line like that doesn't nearly sum up his abilities or encompass the manner in which he normally thrives lyrically IMO.

It's all good, though, we're both big fans, and like I said, the rest of your review is very on-point. luvu.
03:42 PM on 10/23/12
trevorshmevor
User Info.
I enjoyed your review, and love this album, but never in a million years would I use that particular lyric to describe Stefon's style. It's almost a little insulting to his talent.

I completely agree. And not that this really has much to do with what you're saying, but I actually cringe a little bit every time I hear that line on the album.

Solid album regardless, I'd personally have it land at about an 8. I definitely don't think it's better than Never Better, but it's up there for sure.
03:45 PM on 10/23/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I agree that anarchism and rebellion (more just general going against the grain) are two topics that he normally deals heavily in, but he's frequently very poignant and thoughtful when dealing in those themes. I understood the point you were going for, it's just that such a simple and brash line like that doesn't nearly sum up his abilities or encompass the manner in which he normally thrives lyrically IMO.

It's all good, though, we're both big fans, and like I said, the rest of your review is very on-point. luvu.
I'm not trying to say that that lyric is a summary of his lyrical content or his abilities, just his general attitude on the album, the style on the album, etc. it just feels and sounds a bit more reckless/experimental.
03:57 PM on 10/23/12
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
The only song I've heard from this so far is "How We Land" and it was my least favorite P.O.S. song I've heard so far. Oh well.
03:58 PM on 10/23/12
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
my biggest problem with this album is some of the beats (just a few) but other than that, it's as good as i expected/hoped.
04:01 PM on 10/23/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
awesome guy yeah

but def not as good as never better and audition
04:28 PM on 10/23/12
CPF--FBR
@ConnorMEB | Mind Equals Blown
User Info.
Justin Pierre of Motion City Soundtrack is also featured on this album somewhere.

Regardless, I'm very interested in giving this a shot. Seems like I should.
04:39 PM on 10/23/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
my biggest problem with this album is some of the beats (just a few) but other than that, it's as good as i expected/hoped.
could you expand on what you don't like about some of the beats?
04:48 PM on 10/23/12
weworemasks
User Info.
could you expand on what you don't like about some of the beats?
just lacking in a real groove/rhythm. the electronic parts got a bit janky on a few songs. best example is "get down."

my favorite beats on the record are: "wanted/wasted" and "they can't come."
04:49 PM on 10/23/12
weworemasks
User Info.
Justin Pierre of Motion City Soundtrack is also featured on this album somewhere.

Regardless, I'm very interested in giving this a shot. Seems like I should.
tracks 3+6 according to liners.
04:54 PM on 10/23/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
just lacking in a real groove/rhythm. the electronic parts got a bit janky on a few songs. best example is "get down."

my favorite beats on the record are: "wanted/wasted" and "they can't come."
the whole middle section of the album is fantastic (no surprised as Lazerbeak produces the majority of them). I like the weirder glitchy dance songs, I enjoy the flow in Get Down but I can understand why some people may not enjoy the actual beat of the song.
04:55 PM on 10/23/12
weworemasks
User Info.
the whole middle section of the album is fantastic (no surprised as Lazerbeak produces the majority of them). I like the weirder glitchy dance songs, I enjoy the flow in Get Down but I can understand why some people may not enjoy the actual beat of the song.
if NB sits at about a 8.5/10 (my rating), this album's about a 7.2ish.

sidenote: you reviewing kendrick?
04:59 PM on 10/23/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
if NB sits at about a 8.5/10 (my rating), this album's about a 7.2ish.

sidenote: you reviewing kendrick?
There's something about this album that I like more than Never Better. Both records are high for me though, I guess I must be deaf cuz I love the entire album and the first time I heard it a few months ago I immediately hit repeat. Maybe I just like it more cuz it's a bit more accesible and I think the slower jams on this album are little more refined and focused than what Never Better had.

and Dre is reviewing KL
05:58 PM on 10/23/12
theintention
It's like Meow-Schwitz in here.
User Info.
Drew what are your thoughts on "They Can't Come", and Sims in general? His last album was one of my favorite hip hop albums.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos