Password

05:32 PM on 10/24/12 
User Info.
PermanentTourists
No Avatar Selected
The world
Male
Verified
This thread is goin way to fast for me. Can we talk about how he flawlessly slipped a banger in the middle of his well put together story so it made sense and upped the album high levels a bunch of notches? That shit is impressive.
Backseat Freestyle?
05:33 PM on 10/24/12 
User Info.
Star Slight
I think that my problem with a lot of this is, at the risk of sounding pretentious, the relative ignorance towards the genre as a whole for newer listeners who might have just gotten into it. And I have to tread lightly here, because there is absolutely nothing wrong with just getting into the genre. It's amazing that the dynamic on this site has changed, as slightly as it has, over the past few years in regards to hip hop. More and more people are voicing their opinions and that's great. It needs all the help it can get on this site because of the negative stigma that a good amount of people (some super prominent) put on it.

With that being said, because of this newfound interest of the genre I can't really buy some of the "future classic" and "future legend" claims being made on here as well as how much hype and praise this album has gotten. Call me jaded. I see potential like everyone else, I just don't see why people are suddenly infatuated with every hip hop album being a classic and every rapper being the GOAT.
User Info.
Hermaphrodile
Cussin Like a Lobster Dopemanhunter

Cause you a fuck boy
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
"Real" is a shitty word because it's abused so often, but in some ways it's the best way to describe some of the shit he raps about (see: mid-section of my lengthy post on the last page)
i mean sure, he's rapping about real events in his life, but that authenticity isnt going to make the music any better. it shouldnt anyway, but people will say it does.
05:34 PM on 10/24/12 
User Info.
Sakarazu
Hello
CT
Male - 17 Years Old
Just speaking for me personally, it's all this "realness" and "authentic rap" shit that bugs me. None of it ever seems genuine especially in situations like this.

Not directing this at Kyle, but as a general idea, it seems disingenuous.
I get this. Seems as gimmicky as anything else sometimes

This thread is goin way to fast for me. Can we talk about how he flawlessly slipped a banger in the middle of his well put together story so it made sense and upped the album high levels a bunch of notches? That shit is impressive.
Yeah, this is cool. I love the way you can enjoy this without even digging too deep into the story
05:34 PM on 10/24/12 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member
i mean sure, he's rapping about real events in his life, but that authenticity isnt going to make the music any better. it shouldnt anyway, but people will say it does.

Okay yeah I agree it doesn't make it any better. But it does describe his lyrics in some cases.
05:36 PM on 10/24/12 
User Info.
PermanentTourists
No Avatar Selected
The world
Male
Verified
I think that my problem with a lot of this is, at the risk of sounding pretentious, the relative ignorance towards the genre as a whole for newer listeners who might have just gotten into it. And I have to tread lightly here, because there is absolutely nothing wrong with just getting into the genre. It's amazing that the dynamic on this site has changed, as slightly as it has, over the past few years in regards to hip hop. More and more people are voicing their opinions and that's great. It needs all the help it can get on this site because of the negative stigma that a good amount of people (some super prominent) put on it.

With that being said, because of this newfound interest of the genre I can't really buy some of the "future classic" and "future legend" claims being made on here as well as how much hype and praise this album has gotten. Call me jaded. I see potential like everyone else, I just don't see why people are suddenly infatuated with every hip hop album being a classic and every rapper being the GOAT.
I agree with this. It's hard to since some people are only willing to discuss the "cool" artist of the minute (Eda just pointed that out to me). And even then don't want to back anything up. I think it's cool people are into it now too but it's also frustrating in a place like this.
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
Indianapolis
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
KL's rhymes are just as authentic as 2 Chainz' rhymes - I don't buy the real-authentic description as well
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member

I'm not going to assume this is directed at me, however, I am, I think, the only person in this thread who has admitted to not being a master hip-hop listener or whatever. But once again, who's saying this is a classic in this thread or on this site? No one has said that besides Drew to my knowledge man.
05:37 PM on 10/24/12 
User Info.
PermanentTourists
No Avatar Selected
The world
Male
Verified
Ive been working out, bring it bruh.
User Info.
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com

It really helps that he has a large mainstream appeal and this is going to be a record that people who barely listen to rap definitely pick up, and those are just the type of people who would quickly crown a new king of hip hop or some album a classic in the genre, because of their limited knowledge of everything that's been going on in the genre. I mean probably at least.

Of course. SHIT SLAPS.
User Info.
Sakarazu
Hello
CT
Male - 17 Years Old
I'm not a master hip hop listener or whatever
05:38 PM on 10/24/12 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member

which is why you're arguing about this with people who are, in the end, on your side. the phrases you're having problems with are being thrown around by people who are just getting into the genre, and as such wont be able to articulate their points about the music since they're less familiar with the style. ive just been trying to see it from that side of it, why people are throwing out those phrases. i laid out my own reasons, but when it comes to future classic, future legend, GOAT, im largely in your camp. that doesn't mean i cant love this album to death and call it one of my person favorites of this year.
User Info.
PermanentTourists
No Avatar Selected
The world
Male
Verified
Also I think of Kendrick as a person. I think of someone like Rick Ross or Tity Boi as a celebrity. Or at the very least a glamorized object. He's someone I can connect to and makes me feel like he is telling the truth.
User Info.
ThisIsNotDan
MA
Male - 23 Years Old

just because other people see an album as a classic doesn't mean you have to see it that way. some people see it as such, some don't. if you think back to some of the most universally acclaimed albums of all time, you probably don't like every single one. not saying this is one, but in the end it's truly a matter of a ton of people like it, some don't, and that's cool. it'd be suspect as hell if everyone, including you or Darrick, was calling this like 10/10

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos