Password

05:52 PM on 10/24/12 
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
Indianapolis
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
Lets just say things got heated for a second, I think we're all trying to be on the same team/page
05:54 PM on 10/24/12 
User Info.
williek311
Richmond, VA
Male - 28 Years Old
Which is why you should listen to it again and talk about it son

I saw Sean tweet something about it being better (poor wording I don't remember what he said) than Section 80 and Kendrick being a future legend. Want him to come in and weigh in on it while at the same time demeaning me and stuff. Miss those days

Nah son, I hate trying to articulate myself on here. Same reason why I've never written a review.
05:55 PM on 10/24/12 
User Info.
Star Slight
^^ even then I think Swimming Pools is still too inaccessible to ever truly "blow up". The inner voice monologue section doesn't really fit the popular rap mold, and is something that a few people I've shown the song to have noted. And even then, both of those songs seem like they'll only be popular because they'll be separated from the story - Backseat doesn't exactly make it clear what it's supposed to be, and Drank seems like it's popular because of the hook, without much regard for the actual content.

Yeah I mean I personally don't really like Swimming Pools but I know it's getting radio play

What I have conflicting feelings about is this:
The hype is going to drive people to buy this album, or at least check it out. I'm extremely happy for Kendrick because it's going to boost his sales a lot. I don't know about the whole mainstream/superstar thing happening, but this is a huuuuge step for the dude.

What I don't want to happen is for everyone to check out this album, whether they like hip hop or not, and make super quick decisions about it. Which is why I was frustrated when a day after it came out, people were calling it so much better than Section 80 and loling at people who thought differently. Immediately heralding this as an instant classic and flawless and all that other stuff is ultimately detrimental to the discussion and dissection of the album as well as the genre.

Like I said, I'm interested to see what mark this album leaves on the culture
05:57 PM on 10/24/12 
User Info.
Star Slight
it being autobiographical itself isn't important, the fact that it's put together pretty well is. something being "real" or whatever isn't important in itself, but when it's executed well, people will tend to like it. it's all about the execution, not just that he's relatable. by itself, that means nothing

Which would all lead down to the idea of personal preference as to the layout/structure of an album/song. Which I can get down with. I don't find this album's structure to be as appealing as albums that I like better. I also don't see why this layout is so different or dynamic or whatever
05:57 PM on 10/24/12 
User Info.
Star Slight
I think we can all agree that Sakaballz is a bad, bad poster and it happened overnight

Phaynes bad
05:58 PM on 10/24/12 
User Info.
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
ACTUALLY South Korea
Female
I think that my problem with a lot of this is, at the risk of sounding pretentious, the relative ignorance towards the genre as a whole for newer listeners who might have just gotten into it. And I have to tread lightly here, because there is absolutely nothing wrong with just getting into the genre. It's amazing that the dynamic on this site has changed, as slightly as it has, over the past few years in regards to hip hop. More and more people are voicing their opinions and that's great. It needs all the help it can get on this site because of the negative stigma that a good amount of people (some super prominent) put on it.

With that being said, because of this newfound interest of the genre I can't really buy some of the "future classic" and "future legend" claims being made on here as well as how much hype and praise this album has gotten. Call me jaded. I see potential like everyone else, I just don't see why people are suddenly infatuated with every hip hop album being a classic and every rapper being the GOAT.

We discussed this in the hip-hop thread with the fascination with having some sort of "savior" that we both didn't buy and we got the same looks then. It seems like a call to arms: an album comes out, is hailed by every reviewer as some sort of pivotal step forward for the genre, all the fans get worked up over it, and at best it'll remain engraved in the public consciousness as some sort of standard that all hip-hop albums must meet. It's absolutely degrading to the genre. It's an unhealthy way to consume art, fuck understanding it. It breeds essentialism, elitism, messianism and anything else that prevents outsiders from potentially coming in and dissecting it and discussing it intelligently. That's absolutely dangerous; people being predicated on the idea that something like Kanye's last album is some benchmark that is only meant to be eclipsed by something even more monolithic is a dangerous way to approach art when most music in any genre that can be considered good works within established parameters defined by technique, location, lyrical style, cadence, whatever. This isn't me saying that albums of monolithic proportion and importance shouldn't be made and treated as such, but they shouldn't be treated as impregnable because it breeds the kind of discussion that goes on here almost every time an album like this drops.

Haha I also said that as well. Basically, hip-hop is the new "indie" on AP. I, for one, look forward to hip-hop music being the "cool" thing to listen to.

Y'all can have those elitists!

Pfft, indie music has a predisposed stigma of some sort of impenetrable "cool" and relative obscurity regardless of how much that accounts into the specific artists being discussed. Would rather have hip-hop elitism than disembodied, detached, blog-fueled, fake elitism.
06:00 PM on 10/24/12 
User Info.
Sakarazu
Hello
CT
Male - 17 Years Old
I think we can all agree that Sakaballz is a bad, bad poster and it happened overnight

Phaynes bad

User Info.
Drew Beringer
Indianapolis
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
Which would all lead down to the idea of personal preference as to the layout/structure of an album/song. Which I can get down with. I don't find this album's structure to be as appealing as albums that I like better. I also don't see why this layout is so different or dynamic or whatever
I don't think the layout of this album is anything dynamic or original but it's just executed so well. When KL's story is as good as it is, this type of format really makes it that much better.
User Info.
PermanentTourists
No Avatar Selected
The world
Male
Verified
First time I've been tolerable in awhile
06:01 PM on 10/24/12 
User Info.
Lueda Alia
London, ON
Female - 27 Years Old
Staff Member
Pfft, indie music has a predisposed stigma of some sort of impenetrable "cool" and relative obscurity regardless of how much that accounts into the specific artists being discussed. Would rather have hip-hop elitism than disembodied, detached, blog-fueled, fake elitism, haha.

You just proved my point. That's what indie music became -- it's not what it always was. Indie music was never the cool thing to listen to when I was 15-16. But that eventually changed as Pitchfork and the attitude they promote became bigger and bigger. What you see happening with hip-hop now, is what happened with indie music on these forums years ago. The dinosaurs who are still around these forums would tell you the same thing.
User Info.
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
As I said before, I don't see this album being the one to get people who don't listen to rap to pick it up. And if it is, I wouldn't call that "Mainstream". Mainstream hip hop fans would find this boring, most likely. It isn't accessible enough
I'm just going from the people I know who don't listen to hip hop, they've been talking up this album on facebook all week. And that's not what I mean when I say mainstream, by mainstream I just mean its gonna sell really well, which I expect but could be proven wrong. But its got appeal to mainstream hip hop fans, underground rap fans, college kids who never really listen to rap. It should do alright.
User Info.
Star Slight
We discussed this in the hip-hop thread with the fascination with having some sort of "savior" that we both didn't buy and we got the same looks then. It seems like a call to arms: an album comes out, is hailed by every reviewer as some sort of pivotal step forward for the genre, all the fans get worked up over it, and at best it'll remain engraved in the public consciousness as some sort of standard that all hip-hop albums must meet. It's absolutely degrading to the genre. It's an unhealthy way to consume art, fuck understanding it. It breeds essentialism, elitism, messianism and anything else that prevents outsiders from potentially coming in and dissecting it and discussing it intelligently. That's absolutely dangerous; people being predicated on the idea that something like Kanye's last album is some benchmark that is only meant to be eclipsed by something even more monolithic is a dangerous way to approach art when most music in any genre that can be considered good works within established parameters defined by technique, location, lyrical style, cadence, whatever. This isn't me saying that albums of monolithic proportion and importance shouldn't be made and treated as such, but they shouldn't be treated as impregnable because it breeds the kind of discussion that goes on here almost every time an album like this drops.

Pfft, indie music has a predisposed stigma of some sort of impenetrable "cool" and relative obscurity regardless of how much that accounts into the specific artists being discussed. Would rather have hip-hop elitism than disembodied, detached, blog-fueled, fake elitism, haha.

Exactly. And I think that has to do with the relative ignorance of the listeners who make such claims. It's reminiscent of first getting into something like The Doors or Pink Floyd and declaring that they're the best of all time and nothing can compare. And then it gets deeper when people start developing different tastes, hating on the shit that they once deemed perfect and declaring these new albums as the benchmark. It's what makes people assholes, and I think that's what happens on this site a lot
06:02 PM on 10/24/12 
User Info.
maxvsmaradona
thesecondside.bandcamp.co m
New Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old
first time ever listening to Kendrick Lamar, and this album is fucking great
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Indianapolis
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
You just proved my point. That's what indie music became -- it's not what it always was. Indie music was never the cool thing to listen to when I was 15-16. But that eventually changed as Pitchfork and the attitudes they promote became bigger and bigger. What you see happening with hip-hop now, is what happened with indie music on these forums years ago. The dinosaurs who are still around these forums would tell you the same thing.
yup
User Info.
Star Slight
I don't think the layout of this album is anything dynamic or original but it's just executed so well. When KL's story is as good as it is, this type of format really makes it that much better.

I just get a sense of Deja Vu with this album. It seems like a story that I've heard before. That's not to take away from the fact that it's an interesting story, I just can't get down with it as much as everyone else I suppose.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos