AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

11:38 AM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Yeah "Beth / Rest" would be a bitch for sure. I think "Perth" would be the most difficult though--no way in hell could anyone pull off a cover of that song.

Good lord, no one else could do "Perth." Hahaha, I can't even imagine what that would sound like.

And this is coming from someone who likes a lot of Gaslight's covers--that version of "House of the Rising Sun" might be my favorite version of that song that's been recorded, no joke.

I kind of just wish they would do a EP worth of Tom Petty covers, haha. I'm just surprised they haven't done more Springsteen covers.
04:05 PM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
barkjon
we were a roman candle
Seattle, WA
Male - 17 Years Old
Alright, so I got into the Gaslight Anthem. I grabbed all four LP's.

Now I'm hooked.
07:13 PM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
Indiana
Male - 25 Years Old
I kind of just wish they would do a EP worth of Tom Petty covers, haha. I'm just surprised they haven't done more Springsteen covers.
I get the feeling they're sick to death of the constant Springsteen comparisons so to keep covering him would just reinforce the "Springsteen imitators" comments. Maybe? I dunno. I'd love to see more covers of stuff like "House of the Rising Sun" (love love love their version). Older 50s/60s songs in the blues/soul vein.

Anyway I like this EP a lot and I guess the fact that I do correlates to the fact that I could give a shit about Bon Iver. Shrug.
09:04 PM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
I get the feeling they're sick to death of the constant Springsteen comparisons so to keep covering him would just reinforce the "Springsteen imitators" comments. Maybe? I dunno. I'd love to see more covers of stuff like "House of the Rising Sun" (love love love their version). Older 50s/60s songs in the blues/soul vein.

Anyway I like this EP a lot and I guess the fact that I do correlates to the fact that I could give a shit about Bon Iver. Shrug.

I'm sure you're right, but I guess I just don't really understand why the Bruce comparison is something they're trying to run from now. They spent an entire album quoting him and they could kill a good number of his songs on these cover EPs they do. Would much rather see that than them trying to do Bon Iver songs.
09:54 PM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
New, Mexico
Male - 26 Years Old
Ditto. I'm guessing it may have something to do with how little I care about Bon Iver, though...Liking the cover, though!

little-care-about-bon-iver high five!
09:56 PM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
New, Mexico
Male - 26 Years Old
they should put out another EP that sounds SOS/Senor/"Howl"-esque. i wouldn't mind just a little more of that.

EDIT: and include a cover of "trusty chords" or "condition oakland" or something.
10:24 PM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
Brookline, MA
Male - 30 Years Old
I'm sure you're right, but I guess I just don't really understand why the Bruce comparison is something they're trying to run from now. They spent an entire album quoting him and they could kill a good number of his songs on these cover EPs they do. Would much rather see that than them trying to do Bon Iver songs.

Have you interacted with any hardcore Springsteen fans who also like Gaslight Anthem? It's bizarre in some cases. "I don't understand Handwritten. I mean, there's no Springsteen in it! Why would they alienate their core fan base like that?!" That's definitely a generalization, and a bit of an exaggeration but I've heard something along those lines from a few people.

I actually read somebody on a message board who basically dissected the lyrics to "Howl" in such a manner that nearly every line was a reference to a Bruce Springsteen lyric. I'm not a Springsteen guy, so I don't know how directly it all compares but I shrugged at the comparisons and said, "So uh, they both mention sitting on the hood of a car. That seems like a common experience more than a reference to another lyric." I can see why they'd want to avoid those comparisons if that's how exaggerated they've become.

That being said, I don't know that they're "running from" the comparisons so much as just...Moving on? Stretching their wings? Shrug.

they should put out another EP that sounds SOS/Senor/"Howl"-esque. i wouldn't mind just a little more of that.

EDIT: and include a cover of "trusty chords" or "condition oakland" or something.

Yes please! Mostly for the "Trusty Cords" and "Condition Oakland" covers. I'd definitely like to hear them take on some Sam Cooke and/or Johnny Rivers, too...
10:47 PM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
mike'smannequin
Registered Member
New Jersey
Male - 20 Years Old
Alright, so I got into the Gaslight Anthem. I grabbed all four LP's.

Now I'm hooked.

welcome
10:58 PM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
Hamburglar
Jeff
Houston, TX
Male
"Breakdown" would be the perfect Tom Petty/Gaslight cover.
11:02 PM on 10/31/12 
User Info.
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
Indiana
Male - 25 Years Old
Songs I want Gaslight to cover:

Tom Waits - Hang Down Your Head
Sam Cooke - Wonderful World
The National - Apartment Story
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen the Rain
Band of Horses - Is There a Ghost
Ryan Adams - Oh My Sweet Carolina
02:03 AM on 11/01/12 
User Info.
Keele
Registered Member
No Avatar Selected
I hope they do another iTunes sessions styled recording. I'd still love to have a properly recorded version of Gaslight or Brian doing Springsteen's "I'm on Fire". Love the way he performed it. They usually choose good songs to cover though. Keep the music coming.
02:25 AM on 11/01/12 
User Info.
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
England
Male - 25 Years Old
I guess I am in the major minority when I wish they'd cover fewer songs and stick to their own stuff. Skinny Love and Everlong covers just in the last few days and neither sound good.
05:36 AM on 11/01/12 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member
Songs I want Gaslight to cover:

Tom Waits - Hang Down Your Head
Sam Cooke - Wonderful World
The National - Apartment Story
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen the Rain
Band of Horses - Is There a Ghost
Ryan Adams - Oh My Sweet Carolina

These would be incredible. That video where Brian sings "Dear Chicago" during the bridge of "Old White Lincoln" is pretty much the best thing ever haha.
06:39 AM on 11/01/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Have you interacted with any hardcore Springsteen fans who also like Gaslight Anthem? It's bizarre in some cases. "I don't understand Handwritten. I mean, there's no Springsteen in it! Why would they alienate their core fan base like that?!" That's definitely a generalization, and a bit of an exaggeration but I've heard something along those lines from a few people.

I actually read somebody on a message board who basically dissected the lyrics to "Howl" in such a manner that nearly every line was a reference to a Bruce Springsteen lyric. I'm not a Springsteen guy, so I don't know how directly it all compares but I shrugged at the comparisons and said, "So uh, they both mention sitting on the hood of a car. That seems like a common experience more than a reference to another lyric." I can see why they'd want to avoid those comparisons if that's how exaggerated they've become.

That being said, I don't know that they're "running from" the comparisons so much as just...Moving on? Stretching their wings? Shrug.

I don't know, my brother and I are huge, huge Springsteen fans, and both of us love Handwritten more than anything else Gaslight has done. There's a ton of Springsteen in there still ("Here Comes My Man," "National Anthem," etc.), but its more subtle influences than overt references this time around.

I think them not covering Bruce, either on tour, on any of these EPs, or in the bonus tracks to Handwritten says something. Maybe they are trying to move on from that influence: it certainly seemed like it on American Slang. But I think they came back to that kind of sound with this record, which is I guess why I'm confused. Not such a bad thing, but given the choice between seeing them going full Springsteen during their concert encore and suffering through their cover of "Sliver," the choice is an easy one.
07:01 AM on 11/01/12 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member
Haha Craig I think we could round up one or two more people and found a "Hardcore Springsteen Fans Who Also Like Gaslight Anthem Club." But yeah I dig Handwritten a lot, either second or third favorite record they've put out--probably second. And nothing is ever going to touch The '59 Sound for me, that's just how it is haha.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos