Username
Password

09:43 PM on 11/05/12 
User Info.
vivatoto56
EB was left out
Billings, MT
Male - 23 Years Old
Yeah I hear nothing in this album that sets it apart from Uno at all. And definitely nothing so far to justify it being a triple album. I mean I know Green Day have been getting an unnecessary amount of shit for years now but even as someone who's been a total GD apologist since American Idiot came out, I'm finding very little worthwhile about these albums.

So no guys it's not just typical "new Green Day sucks because its new Green Day" mentality here. These are just genuinely boring albums.

Agree with all of this.
09:55 PM on 11/05/12 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member
Like I just said in the other thread, I think it's going to be Springsteen. Wandered away from it for awhile, but I don't think I'd feel quite right about having anything else at the top. My first listen to that record was one of those that I'll never forgot. Top three will be rounded out by Gaslight and The Killers probably.

You? Japandroids?

Fuck man I dunno. This year is really tough. Last year, I knew it was gonna be Bon Iver from probably the third time I listened to that record on. The year before it was either Titus Andronicus or Kanye, very close call (I went with Kanye, but I regret that now). This year though...I feel like I could give it to Japandroids, Bruce, Titus, Passion Pit, Kendrick Lamar, or hell maybe even Tame Impala. I don't have a clear-cut, top-of-the-pack favorite, and that bugs the shit out of me.

But yeah, I'm a goddamned sucker for anything remotely Replacements-like, so that points heavily towards Japandroids...or Titus haha.
10:00 PM on 11/05/12 
User Info.
CellarGhosts
Blodtřrst
Indiana
Male - 24 Years Old
Completely agree. Green Day aren't a versatile enough band to ever deliver three albums that sound completely different in the space of four or five months. If they had made a Dookie-esque pop punk album, a Warning-style smattering of innovation, and a classic rock/arena rock epic like their last few, it might have been justified, but as is, these songs all pretty much sound the same. Maybe I'll find more to love as I listen, and I didn't genuinely dislike much on my first listen through (other than "Nightlife," which is almost hilariously bad), but for now, I'm just feeling like the band has lost whatever appealed to me on everything they've done before this. And this is coming from someone who really dug 21st Century for what it was and who holds American Idiot in very, very high regard.

Then again, maybe that's the problem.
Yeah I'm pretty much with you here 100%. Ultimately I feel like these two albums so far feel like half baked ideas from a band who I know is still capable of much more.

This all being said that preview clip for that song from Tre sounds really promising and I already enjoy it more than any one track from Uno or Dos haha.
10:02 PM on 11/05/12 
User Info.
Clockwise
Running on Fruit Snacks
Connecticut
Male - 20 Years Old
I caught myself dancing quite a few times today listening to DOS.

I love the 'hell party' vibe.
07:00 AM on 11/06/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Fuck man I dunno. This year is really tough. Last year, I knew it was gonna be Bon Iver from probably the third time I listened to that record on. The year before it was either Titus Andronicus or Kanye, very close call (I went with Kanye, but I regret that now). This year though...I feel like I could give it to Japandroids, Bruce, Titus, Passion Pit, Kendrick Lamar, or hell maybe even Tame Impala. I don't have a clear-cut, top-of-the-pack favorite, and that bugs the shit out of me.

But yeah, I'm a goddamned sucker for anything remotely Replacements-like, so that points heavily towards Japandroids...or Titus haha.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The last two years, I knew early on what I was going to give my title to. This year, it's less clear, but that's because there have been three records that I've loved enough to call my album of the year and be happy about it. I like it when it's that way.

Japandroids will definitely be somewhere in my top ten. Speaking of keeping albums concise...

Yeah I'm pretty much with you here 100%. Ultimately I feel like these two albums so far feel like half baked ideas from a band who I know is still capable of much more.

This all being said that preview clip for that song from Tre sounds really promising and I already enjoy it more than any one track from Uno or Dos haha.

I think that, when it comes down to it, this just isn't really the kind of music I'm interested in hearing the band make anymore. There are catchy songs, but nothing I'm going to come back to in a month, let alone eight years down the road like American Idiot.
07:08 AM on 11/06/12 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member
Yeah, I know what you mean. The last two years, I knew early on what I was going to give my title to. This year, it's less clear, but that's because there have been three records that I've loved enough to call my album of the year and be happy about it. I like it when it's that way.

Japandroids will definitely be somewhere in my top ten. Speaking of keeping albums concise...
Yeah man, I love what Brian says at the end of the write-up about Celebration Rock on their website:
Quote:
So there you have it. 1 year, 8 songs, 35 mins. Not bad. As for everything else, I've got no answers. Any questions?

Reference materials:
8 song albums - Raw Power by The Stooges, Born To Run by Bruce Springsteen, IV by Led Zeppelin
35 min albums - Let It Be by The Replacements, Revolver by The Beatles, Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys
07:24 AM on 11/06/12 
User Info.
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
Male - 27 Years Old
Does he really say "She gave up on Jesus for living on penis" on "Wild One"?
07:26 AM on 11/06/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Yeah man, I love what Brian says at the end of the write-up about Celebration Rock on their website:

Haha, that's awesome. It actually blows my mind that there are single LP albums that are twice as long. The length seems so perfect.
07:29 AM on 11/06/12 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member
Does he really say "She gave up on Jesus for living on penis" on "Wild One"?
Hahaha thank you for satisfying any lingering curiosity I had to check this record out.

Haha, that's awesome. It actually blows my mind that there are single LP albums that are twice as long. The length seems so perfect.
Yeah man. I mean, if I were ever to make a rock 'n roll classic album, it would totally be about that length, as much as I love some of the sprawling records Blaine was talking about last night. But that's about as likely as me growing a third arm out of my ass haha.
07:37 AM on 11/06/12 
User Info.
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
Male - 27 Years Old
Hahaha thank you for satisfying any lingering curiosity I had to check this record out.

It might be peanuts, but it definitely sounds like penis. WHAT IN THE WORLD.
09:08 AM on 11/06/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Yeah man. I mean, if I were ever to make a rock 'n roll classic album, it would totally be about that length, as much as I love some of the sprawling records Blaine was talking about last night. But that's about as likely as me growing a third arm out of my ass haha.

Haha, I would also make a short record.
09:26 AM on 11/06/12 
User Info.
FTank
Blank
Mount Horeb, WI
Male - 19 Years Old
It might be peanuts, but it definitely sounds like penis. WHAT IN THE WORLD.

I think it's something with Venus. That would be hilarious though.
01:37 PM on 11/06/12 
User Info.
CellarGhosts
Blodtřrst
Indiana
Male - 24 Years Old
I think that, when it comes down to it, this just isn't really the kind of music I'm interested in hearing the band make anymore. There are catchy songs, but nothing I'm going to come back to in a month, let alone eight years down the road like American Idiot.
That's probably it for me too. And I had, for a while now, been hoping they'd make music that's closer to Nimrod or Warning than the bombastic, rock opera type stuff. But now that that's the route they've gone I'm not so sure it's what I want out of them after all. Or maybe they just need to concentrate on trimming down filler and write a concise, to-the-point album. Because even though these songs are all pretty straight up pop punk type stuff, it's all bleeding together for me.

On another note, it can't just be me who thinks the chorus melody on "Amy" is pretty much identical to the bridge melody on "Shoplifter" right? I mean it's almost exact.
01:54 PM on 11/06/12 
User Info.
Clockwise
Running on Fruit Snacks
Connecticut
Male - 20 Years Old

On another note, it can't just be me who thinks the chorus melody on "Amy" is pretty much identical to the bridge melody on "Shoplifter" right? I mean it's almost exact.

It's pretty damn close, yeah. The style and the content set it apart dramatically from that song, though.

I just love the fuck out of all the trilogy songs so far, and that's alright. Seriously, if somebody asked me a year a go, or even 8 years ago, what the coolest thing ever would be, it'd be this. What I'm really looking forward to though, after these all are out, is just sitting back and listening to Green Day's discography on shuffle with my best friend and having 37 awesome additions to the catalogue. Still my favorite band ever.
02:04 PM on 11/06/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
That's probably it for me too. And I had, for a while now, been hoping they'd make music that's closer to Nimrod or Warning than the bombastic, rock opera type stuff. But now that that's the route they've gone I'm not so sure it's what I want out of them after all. Or maybe they just need to concentrate on trimming down filler and write a concise, to-the-point album. Because even though these songs are all pretty straight up pop punk type stuff, it's all bleeding together for me.

Yeah, there's just no focus here. That's fine for a pop album I guess, but I wish there was more to it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos