AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Consequential Apathy: Exit 152

Posted by - 09:12 AM on 11/09/12
This past weekend I attended Fun Fun Fun Fest and saw some nostalgic acts. Friday night I left the festival to attend Taking Back Sunday's Tell All Your Friends 10th Anniversary Tour. The album, like a few others, holds a special place in my lifetime, and that place in sappy crater I call a love life. You can read my thoughts on my personal attachment to the record here. I invite you all to share your own stories and albums or songs that go with them. I don't want to turn the front page into 'Personal Life' today, but I think we can make a pretty cool mixtape of stories to end the week nonetheless. Or you can just head to the replies and call me a dork, either way, I hope you enjoy it.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
09:19 AM on 11/09/12
lordchamberlain
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
dork!

taking back sunday's "where you want to be" reminds me of my summer in maine in 2004, linkin park's "hybrid theory" reminds me of my trip to kauai in 2001 (haha), the dangerous summer's "reach for the sun" reminds me of 2010 and how fucking great of a year that was but also the scumbag fucking bitch that broke my heart and left me reeling. it's amazing the memories certain songs can evoke. i can remember specific car rides and conversations based on certain songs. it's beautiful, actually.
09:25 AM on 11/09/12
Dustin Harkins
I forgot that happened
User Info.
I've got a story to share that I'll probably do after I finish this bit of work in my office haha.

I enjoyed your writing, as usual of course.
09:29 AM on 11/09/12
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
Pretty sure I wrote an embarrassingly long user review of that record on this site several years ago that detailed my sappy bullshit feelings about the record pretty extensively...yikes, had forgotten about that
09:38 AM on 11/09/12
Dustin Harkins
I forgot that happened
User Info.
Pretty sure I wrote an embarrassingly long user review of that record on this site several years ago that detailed my sappy bullshit feelings about the record pretty extensively...yikes, had forgotten about that
I found it. The length isn't toooo long considering how big that album is in this music scene, but I like how you have 7 different albums in the RIYL haha.
09:45 AM on 11/09/12
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
Though I've had the album since like 9th grade, Tell All Your Friends always reminds me of driving to Atlanta with my girlfriend a couple years ago. We were going down to see a show (that I ended up losing my phone and breaking my foot at), and decided to throw the album on to nostalg super hard. Regardless of how cheesy it sounds, it was a beautiful day for the drive and things were going so perfectly with her, so now that recent memory kinda trumps a lot of the earlier ones I had with it.
09:54 AM on 11/09/12
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
I found it. The length isn't toooo long considering how big that album is in this music scene, but I like how you have 7 different albums in the RIYL haha.
I just re-read it for the first time since posting it. It held up better than I was expecting but I still wouldn't write anything even remotely resembling that if I sat down to review it today haha. Whatever. I was like 17 or some shit.
09:55 AM on 11/09/12
Dustin Harkins
I forgot that happened
User Info.
I just re-read it for the first time since posting it. It held up better than I was expecting but I still wouldn't write anything even remotely resembling that if I sat down to review it today haha. Whatever. I was like 17 or some shit.
I know exactly what you mean haha.
10:02 AM on 11/09/12
Dustin Harkins
I forgot that happened
User Info.
Okay, here's my story about an album I have an emotional connection with due to memories. I'm hoping this isn't just supposed to be TAYF stories or else I just typed all this out for no reason haha.

Quote:
My story begins in in May 2008, about an album called Come Now Sleep by As Cities Burn. I was 17, about to play my first major (in my eyes) festival ever in my first band. The festival was in Fort Worth, TX, with the 3 headliners He Is Legend, As Cities Burn, and Oh, Sleeper. I was so excited to play. I had heard great things about As Cities Burn from a girl I used to be friends with, but hadn’t ever listened to them, or any of the other headliners like my friends had, but I was excited regardless. We arrived at the venue bright and early to discover we'd be playing around 2 or 3 PM, in an upstairs area. Not just upstairs, but upstairs in a 3 story venue (the main stage was on the first floor) at a tiny bar that didn't even really have a stage. Upon hearing this, we were very disappointed, but beggars can't be choosers.

Our set began as scheduled, with about 20 people watching us, including a girl I had invited because I had a crush on her. Our set almost got cut off twice because the bassist and I kept climbing on the bar due to hating the lack of a stage. After a few attempts we got the hint and resorted to staying on our "stage" on our respective sides near the "PA system" which was two tiny speakers on stands. Still, for a first festival (and my third show ever at the time, I think) it was such an incredible feeling. The 20 people who watched us either loved it or pretended to love it, and I came offstage to see my best friend making out with the girl I brought.

Keep in mind, I was a ridiculously sensitive high school kid, so I took everything way more seriously than I should have, so it devastated me. I tried to just go load my equipment out to get away from it and security started yelling at me and my bassist for our "antics" earlier. We found out because of it we weren't getting paid. It was never about money in the first place, but as the guy who drove the whole band around, it would've been nice to have some gas money. (And they were difficult people to drive around with, haha) I just was not having it that day, so I went and tried to talk to my brother about it. He kinda shrugged it all off, he wasn't a very emotional person at all, and I was a trainwreck back then, so I stowed away backstage, thinking about how badly I didn't want to care about anything, all those teenage angst thoughts, whatever.

There were three other people backstage and one of them noticed me sulking and came up to talk to me. I vented for a bit and he told me that although things are aggravating and unfair sometimes, all I should do is think about all the things I'd accomplished today, about how years along the line all I'd remember is that I played this awesome show, and wouldn't have any of the other details weighing on me forever. Now it seems like such a simple gesture, the kind of thing anyone would say, but back then I was deep into my Aspergers syndrome mindset when it came to socializing with anyone, so I didn't let myself get words of encouragement much, so the fact that he decided to randomly talk to me meant the world to me. I thanked him and he told me he was glad to help, and then left the green room. I chilled out a bit, then went back to join my friends to watch As Cities Burn. They played an incredible set, and I bought Come Now Sleep from them that day, just as a way to try and remember that moment of kindness forever. Since that day it's been one of my favorites in the genre, and when I listen to it, I think about not just how great life is, not just about embracing the accomplishments you make and letting go of the things that don’t matter, but about Cody going out of his way to help out a whiny kid that didn't really have a notable problem at all.
10:03 AM on 11/09/12
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
I know exactly what you mean haha.
I do see this record as one of several that kind of pointed in me in the right general direction in terms of my music listening habits, that is towards the pop-punk and post-hardcore scenes that were self-imploding as I discovered them circa 2006/2007. I eventually then proceeded to check out Archers of Loaf, Radiohead, Neutral Milk Hotel, Built to Spill and Explosions in the Sky because I'd seen Jesse Lacey mention them in interviews and well...the rest is history haha.
10:28 AM on 11/09/12
llluminate
User Info.
So many awesome moments on this record.

You've got this silly way...
10:43 AM on 11/09/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Sweet story, Dustin.

I have way too many. I'll just say I enjoyed reading this, Adam.
11:00 AM on 11/09/12
iamthealex
Meet me in Montauk.
User Info.
Great record. Probably wouldn't make my top ten favorites, but definitely on of the first records that got me into music and I still jam to it today.
11:03 AM on 11/09/12
xXrunninglateXx
User Info.
My attachment to the album ties directly to another much beloved band around here: Name Taken.

I went to high school with the guitarist and one day we got to talking between classes about our mutual love (, admiration and basically borderline obsession) over Further Seems Forever's The Moon Is Down. While we were talking I noticed his t-shirt (seen below) and asked him about the band (fyi, at this point, the tardy bell had already rung but we didn't care). He began professing his equal amount of love for Tell All Your Friends so naturally, I asked my mom to drive me to Tower Records to purchase it that day. Fell in love almost immediately... and there you have it!

11:13 AM on 11/09/12
seventwenty3
User Info.
The show was incredible. I don't think it's their best album at all, but it will always be my favorite. I still have The Starting Line 10 year and Killswitch 10 year to go to before December ends. I'm mulling over the possibility of Sum 41 as well. If anything I think we just need fun music again.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos