AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Candy Hearts - The Best Ways to Disappear EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.25
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 89%
Inside AP.net

Candy Hearts - The Best Ways to Disappear EP

Reviewed by: Jason Gardner (11/05/12)
Candy Hearts - The Best Ways to Disappear
Record Label: Violently Happy/Bridge Nine
Release Date: November 6, 2012

The line between nostalgia and rehashing is a bit of a fine one. Some bands can do the sounds of old right, while others just seem to stumble all over their influences. Candy Hearts’ new EP The Best Ways to Disappear definitely falls into the former though, as their formula of gritty pop-punk with a musical twist from two decades ago makes for a fun if also familiar experience through six tracks. The result is something that is tough to shake in terms of catchiness and just plain good songwriting – all while remembering to make a personal touch on the lyrical side of things.

“Bad Idea” wastes no time enforcing the ‘90s-steeped sound that much of this EP rests in, pairing buzzing, poppy guitars with a vocal style that is both endearing and a bit edgy at the same time. The chorus of this one is arguably the best of the bunch, as the hooking lyrics and melodies are tough to shake in the wake of confused love. “Miles and Interstates” isn’t as gritty, but keeps the melodies flowing before a well-placed pause ends the track on a solid enough chorus. “Replacement Parts” follows more of that sound as well, punching some simple rhythms in the verses while channeling a bit of retro-sounding melodies in the process.

An almost obligatory acoustic number, “Sick of It” falls into some of the normal cliches of a mellow number but somehow feels like a true ace in the hole with an electric ending and some pretty on-point lyricism. It segues nicely into ender “Ticklish” with its theatrical beginning and buzzing choruses. It could be argued that the EP starts to run together a bit at this point, but I’d like to think that it’s somewhat the opposite – sure there’s a pretty general sound to most of these songs, but it helps keep things from getting into too many tangents along the way. The production from Chad Gilbert helps as well, whether it be some added instrumentation to sprinkle things up or the general sound of beefed up guitar punches to counter the sweet vocals heard throughout.

Lyrically this EP hits some predictable points, whether it be some angst about love (“Bad Idea”, “Miles and Interstates”) or references about comparing loves to toy collections in “Matchbox Cars”. For the most part, it’s pretty acceptable pop-rock lyricism that while certainly introspective is catchy and relatable across the table, but the better drawing point lies within the vocals getting them across. While certainly very familiar from the get-go, the combination of strong execution and that hint of nostalgia makes them tough to not enjoy whether the band is hopping along with punk rock intentions or in the few slower moments of the EP.

Though not the most groundbreaking thing to come out as of late, Candy Hearts’ newest effort is undeniably catchy and enjoyable to the last note. Even if you missed the boat on their previous work, this EP is simply packed with too much fun to not check out.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
08:21 AM on 11/05/12
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
User Info.
Good review. I'll be checking this out pretty soon. I thought they were unbearably boring and awkward on the Misser tour, but to be fair I've never listened to one of their recordings.
09:47 AM on 11/05/12
Fish Man Alex
User Info.
Good review. I'll be checking this out pretty soon. I thought they were unbearably boring and awkward on the Misser tour, but to be fair I've never listened to one of their recordings.

You're not alone. I felt the same way seeing them at the talent farm. I just do not understand the hype
02:43 PM on 11/05/12
blackmold
Bro
User Info.
You're not alone. I felt the same way seeing them at the talent farm. I just do not understand the hype

I haven't seen them live but I've been listening to their first full-length and it's really good. I'll be checking this out for sure. And I'm not sure what you mean by hype. I would say they're still pretty underground. There might be some hype just because Chad Gilbert produced this and signed them to his imprint but I'd say they're still pretty unknown.
03:10 PM on 11/05/12
Fish Man Alex
User Info.
I haven't seen them live but I've been listening to their first full-length and it's really good. I'll be checking this out for sure. And I'm not sure what you mean by hype. I would say they're still pretty underground. There might be some hype just because Chad Gilbert produced this and signed them to his imprint but I'd say they're still pretty unknown.

I guess it's many people I follow on twitter and tumblr. I don't mean to discredit them or any band, cos I admire hard work. just not my thing I guess
06:29 PM on 11/05/12
ratmachine182
http://www.twitter.com/reiandcoke
User Info.
the main thing i gravitate to in this band is their 90s sound. it is something i have found severely lacking in modern rock. i guess music is cyclical but this is the kind of music i want to see come back in. also they would probably do a mean lisa loeb cover lol.
07:13 PM on 11/05/12
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Pretty fair (and well-written) review. I'm yet to listen to the new EP but dig all of their prior work. And if "Bad Idea" is any indication they've "beefed" up their sound quite a bit. Can't wait to hear it!
11:14 AM on 11/11/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
EP is wonderful. With every release they grow by leaps and bounds.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums