Username
Password

08:47 AM on 11/11/12 
User Info.
knash9
Registered Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Male - 19 Years Old
Read a book entitled Overthrow by Stephen Kinzer if you want to know about America's involvement in foreign affairs.

Heard good things about this and read an excerpt from it.
09:43 AM on 11/11/12 
User Info.
Lysrothtuck
Joplin, MO
Male - 27 Years Old
I mean, they did try though. Their intention was to take out as many Native Americans as possible. The only thing historians argue is that it wasn't the Europeans who started the spread. Smallpox was already spreading before that, so they just added on to an already growing epidemic.

That's simply inaccurate on two counts. First, it's an extreme generalization to say that "they" wanted to do anything. The European precursor for expansion had dozens or more reasons for doing so, and most had nothing to do with "taking out" Native Americans. Secondly, those that did have blood lust lacked the sophisticated means of intentionally spreading certain diseases. They didn't do it on purpose.
10:17 AM on 11/11/12 
User Info.
Love As Arson
Resident Marxist
The Motherland
Male - 29 Years Old
Quote:
The Convention (in article 2) defines genocide:

...any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

(a) Killing members of the group;
(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

How doesn't this apply to indigenous people?
11:18 AM on 11/11/12 
User Info.
Broken Parachute
...and somehow I survived
Staten Island, NY
Male - 24 Years Old
That's simply inaccurate on two counts. First, it's an extreme generalization to say that "they" wanted to do anything. The European precursor for expansion had dozens or more reasons for doing so, and most had nothing to do with "taking out" Native Americans. Secondly, those that did have blood lust lacked the sophisticated means of intentionally spreading certain diseases. They didn't do it on purpose.
I'm going by what I've read in the past. The internet can be unreliable at times, but...

Quote:
Despite his fame, Jeffrey Amherst's name became tarnished by stories of smallpox-infected blankets used as germ warfare against American Indians. These stories are reported, for example, in Carl Waldman's Atlas of the North American Indian [NY: Facts on File, 1985]. Waldman writes, in reference to a siege of Fort Pitt (Pittsburgh) by Chief Pontiac's forces during the summer of 1763:

... Captain Simeon Ecuyer had bought time by sending smallpox-infected blankets and handkerchiefs to the Indians surrounding the fort -- an early example of biological warfare -- which started an epidemic among them. Amherst himself had encouraged this tactic in a letter to Ecuyer. [p. 108]

Quote:
"You will do well to try to inoculate the Indians, by means of blankets, as well as to try every other method that can serve to extirpate this execrable race." Jeffery Amherst[6]

Ewald, Paul W. (2000). Plague Time: How Stealth Infections Cause Cancer, Heart Disease, and Other Deadly Ailments.

Quote:
During an Indian uprising in 1763, Sir Jeffery Amherst, commander of British forces in North America (and namesake of the Massachusetts city), suggested that the disease be sown deliberately. ''Could it not be contrived to send the Small Pox among those disaffected tribes of Indians?'' he wrote a subordinate, encouraging the use of ''every stratagem in our power to reduce them.''

In fact, his men at Fort Pitt, today Pittsburgh, had already forged ahead without his encouragement, giving Indians infected blankets and a germ-laden handkerchief. Epidemics ensued, but historians are unsure to what extent the spread was due to natural or deliberate exposure.

Dr. Fenn, the George Washington historian, who is finishing a book on smallpox epidemics in America, said Amherst and his men's independent pursuit of smallpox weapons showed the idea's prevalence and wide appeal, which continued into the Revolutionary War.

''They were willing to use it in nasty ways,'' she said of British forces. ''But it's almost impossible to determine how effective it was.''

Still, she said, George Washington was suspicious enough of the British using smallpox as a weapon, and had lost so many troops to the disease, that in 1777 he ordered his men to undergo crude inoculations. The Americans, in contrast to English soldiers, had typically grown up without exposure to the disease. Thus, like the Indians, they had no acquired immunity.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/06/15/sc...anted=4&src=pm
11:46 AM on 11/11/12 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
How doesn't this apply to indigenous people?

i didn't realize the term was so broad. by those definitions the u.s. was committing genocide into the 1960's through boarding schools trying to assimilate native children.
05:12 PM on 11/11/12 
User Info.
NewAgeofHorus
Great Barrier Reef
Male - 22 Years Old
My favorite Washington quote. Says a lot about his character.

"It is not my intention to doubt that the doctrine of the Illuminati and the principles of Jacobinism had not spread in the United States. On the contrary, no one is more satisfied of this fact than I am.
The idea that I meant to convey, was, that I did not believe that the Lodges of Free Masons in _this_ Country had, as Societies, endeavoured to propagate the diabolical tenets of the first, or pernicious principles of the latter (if they are susceptible of separation). That Individuals of them may have done it, or that the founder, or instrument employed to found, the Democratic Societies in the United States, may have had these objects; and actually had a separation of the People from their Government in view, is too evident to be questioned."

October 24, 1798. The Writings of George Washington Vol. 20 p.518
08:38 PM on 11/11/12 
User Info.
crackedthesky
cause when I fly solo I fly so high
Gladstone, MO
Male - 25 Years Old

"It is not my intention to doubt that the doctrine of the Illuminati and the principles of Jacobinism had not spread in the United States. On the contrary, no one is more satisfied of this fact than I am.
The idea that I meant to convey, was, that I did not believe that the Lodges of Free Masons in _this_ Country had, as Societies, endeavoured to propagate the diabolical tenets of the first, or pernicious principles of the latter (if they are susceptible of separation). That Individuals of them may have done it, or that the founder, or instrument employed to found, the Democratic Societies in the United States, may have had these objects; and actually had a separation of the People from their Government in view, is too evident to be questioned."

lol
08:44 PM on 11/11/12 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]

What exactly does it say about his character?
09:15 PM on 11/11/12 
User Info.
crackedthesky
Gladstone, MO
Male - 25 Years Old

That he was able to use the underscore decades before it was invented.
09:32 PM on 11/11/12 
User Info.
Broken Parachute
...and somehow I survived
Staten Island, NY
Male - 24 Years Old
LOL
06:04 AM on 11/12/12 
User Info.
NewAgeofHorus
Great Barrier Reef
Male - 22 Years Old

Well I can get a lot of who he actually was because he said he was happy about the fact that the doctrine of the illuminati made its way into America.

Anyone who is for that is a twisted human being.
06:13 AM on 11/12/12 
User Info.
NewAgeofHorus
Great Barrier Reef
Male - 22 Years Old
That he was able to use the underscore decades before it was invented.

Underscores ( ) were common punctuations and were even common enough to be used with the American Morse Code in the 1800s
06:14 AM on 11/12/12 
User Info.
crackedthesky
Gladstone, MO
Male - 25 Years Old
Underscores ( ) were common punctuations and were even common enough to be used with the American Morse Code in the 1700s

That's an en dash, not an underscore.
06:15 AM on 11/12/12 
User Info.
crackedthesky
Gladstone, MO
Male - 25 Years Old
Well I can get a lot of who he actually was because he said he was happy about the fact that the doctrine of the illuminati made its way into America.

Anyone who is for that is a twisted human being.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but that says he doesn't doubt the illuminati have NOT spread in America and he's proud of that.
06:18 AM on 11/12/12 
User Info.
NewAgeofHorus
Great Barrier Reef
Male - 22 Years Old
That's an en dash, not an underscore.

Yeah, okay God. I'll take your word for if even though every source I've seen/heard before when I had to learn about morse code and even what I'm looking up now states it as an underscore.

I'll just believe you over all of the sources and George Washington's writings to make you feel better.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos