AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Dirty Projectors - About To Die EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 6
Lyrics 6
Production 7
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 61%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Dirty Projectors - About To Die EP

Reviewed by: Kelly Doherty (11/11/12)
Dirty Projectors- About To Die EP
Record Label: Domino
Release Date: November 6, 2012

Dirty Projectors are a little bit strange. A quick glance at the American indie rockersí Wikipedia suggests that the band hold similarities with a range of artists including; Frank Zappa, Beyoncť and Steely Dan. So, of course they were never going to release something normal. The ĎAbout To Dieí EP, born out of extra songs written for earlier this yearís critically acclaimed, Swing Lo Magellan, is four tracks of slightly awkward but never boring indie rock.

The EP is kicked off by "About To Die", a track featured on Swing Lo Magellan. All changes and sudden stops, the track is extremely angular. The vocals have an impressive range and each part of the track is in a state of fluctuation and whilst it is an interesting song, itís hard to understand why the band felt the need to put it on another record. It hasnít been changed in any way and its inclusion feels a bit unnecessary. "While Youíre Here" is a lot better. Slower and more attractive than the opener, it allows the audience to actually enjoy the track without being interrupted by yet another left turn. The violin/vocals combination is executed perfectly and the band manage to be unique without sacrificing the listener.

ďHere Til It Says Iím NotĒ is certainly single material. The vocals are attractive and the chorus is almost catchy. The lyrics sound somewhat nonsensical but the driving chorus have an anthemic feel to it and the track is a highlight of the record. Closer "Simple Request" is has a country feel to it teamed with the typical Dirty Projectors awkwardness and it ends with the listener wanting more.

Overall, About To Die isnít particularly great. The EP is quite unnecessary, itís not as if these songs were dying for a release. Itís not even like the band are utilizing the EP to put out songs they have an unending desire to be heard by the public, the re-releasing of the track, "About To Die" shows this and itís just confusing as to why they released this. "While Youíre Here" is the best song off the release, however it touches nothing on Swing Lo Magellan. We should probably try to ignore this release and think only of Swing Lo Magellan when we consider Dirty Projectors' 2012. A bit of a disappointment.

Recommended If You LiketUnE-yArDs; Grizzly Bear; starting with the worst releases in a back catalog

Additional Information
Track Listing
1. About To Die
2. While You're Here
3. Here 'Til It Says I'm Not
4. Simple Request

Band Members
David Longstreth
Amber Coffman
Haley Dekle
Nat Baldwin
Olga Bell
Michael Johnson

Official Site

6/10

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
06:24 PM on 11/11/12
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i just can't dig this band. they are up there as one of those that i feel like all of my musically-inclined friends rave about that i just don't like.
05:56 AM on 11/12/12
Chris Collum
User Info.
Not gonna bother with this. I also really never got into Swing Lo like I did with Bitte Orca, which is disappointing because I love that record and was really excited for this one.
01:02 PM on 11/12/12
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
i just can't dig this band. they are up there as one of those that i feel like all of my musically-inclined friends rave about that i just don't like.
Not sure if it's the band name that makes me want to like this band so bad but I just haven't found an interest in it yet. I'll keep trying though lol
03:55 PM on 11/12/12
WakingTheMisery
<3
User Info.
Ditto
04:04 PM on 11/12/12
gman610
Second Best
User Info.
Swing Lo Magellan really changed my opinion of this band - Bitte Orca , while an interesting listen with one immediate standout ("Stillness is the Move"), just never clicked with me when it came out. Swing Lo did, though, and I guess the rest of their catalog (or that that I've explored) did as well. Still, I think Swing Lo is their best. And as for this EP, I've only listened once, but the review pretty much nailed my feelings. "While You're Here" is the best song by a long shot, but it's not fleshed out enough to truly great, I think. Definitely a disappointment for me, as Swing Lo is one of my very favorite records of the year.
11:30 AM on 11/14/12
runningohfive
I know...
User Info.
Swing Lo Magellan really changed my opinion of this band - Bitte Orca , while an interesting listen with one immediate standout ("Stillness is the Move"), just never clicked with me when it came out. Swing Lo did, though, and I guess the rest of their catalog (or that that I've explored) did as well. Still, I think Swing Lo is their best. And as for this EP, I've only listened once, but the review pretty much nailed my feelings. "While You're Here" is the best song by a long shot, but it's not fleshed out enough to truly great, I think. Definitely a disappointment for me, as Swing Lo is one of my very favorite records of the year.

Same with me I got into Swing Lo quicker then I thought. The first track "Offspring is Blank" hooked me.

I didn't even know they have an EP though I will check it out.
06:45 AM on 11/17/12
tender
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I mean an Auto website. We cannot deny the fact that Fake Chanel Bags people across the globe like to drive, read new stuff about cars, search for Chanel Bags For Sale new models and many other things related to the auto industry. This is a powerful new business idea to think of chanel messenger bags starting in 2013. How many times have you searched something related to the motor industry? Did you visit only one website or you made a comparison?
09:43 PM on 11/17/12
harveyn590
User Info.
You think "About To Die" is extremely angular? Compared to Bitte Orca and their earlier work I actually found this quite a bit smoother lol.

Also if you havent been able to get into this band I def recommend giving Swing Lo a try. Def their most accessible.
08:01 AM on 11/19/12
spokenword
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I could never get into this band, other than the song stillness is the move. So good.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums