AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Windsor Drive - Wanderlust EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7
Production 6.75
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 73%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Windsor Drive - Wanderlust EP

Reviewed by: Kelly Doherty (08/28/12)
Windsor Drive-Wanderlust EP
Record Label: Self Released
Release Date: September 25, 2012

Hailing from Wausau, Wisconsin, Windsor Drive are an indie-pop band with more than a passing fondness for synthesizers and catchy choruses. The band, comprised of Kipp Wilde (vocals, keys), Owen Jones (drums), Daniel Sukow (guitar, vocals) and Jon Wasleke (bass), has released four EPs and headlined the Kevin Says Stage in 2011’s Warped Tour, in their brief four year career. They also have a fan in Ryan Seacrest, but that’s irrelevant. So, are these young movers and shakers worth their hype? Well, yes. Kind of. If you like pop music and synths. Lots of them. Today we’re specifically dealing with their upcoming EP, Wanderlust, five tracks of radio-friendly indie-pop.

Wanderlust is filled with all the key ingredients to create a hit release. Clean guitars and vocals make way for synthesizers and inoffensive beats, and every chorus is catchy as hell. Opener, “Wish Me Well” sounds like any of Keane’s greatest hits with a great chorus, somewhat vague lyrics, and a very universal sound. This continues throughout the entire EP. Every track could be worthy of repeat plays on MTV or whatever the kids watch today. “Sleepwalking” is an 80’s electronica anthem, with the sort of hook that’ll make this band famous. Do not doubt this, Windsor Drive shall be famous. Whilst they put to use all of the pop ingredients in a manner that makes them a lot better than the average song you’ll hear on the radio, they do suffer from those same ingredients. The EP has absolutely no edge whatsoever, as the production has made it flawless and slightly characterless, and the lyrics are frustratingly vague. Windsor Drive make music of high danceability and unending catchiness, but those flaws make it difficult for them to stand out from the crowd.

Overall, Wanderlust ticks all the boxes for what people want from pop music, and they fulfill it to the degree that is needed. The vocals are impressive and the band clearly have talent, but if you want a little more meat from your music, this EP is not for you. If you want some happy tunes and a catchy chorus, don’t let Windsor Drive pass you by.

Track Listing 1. Wish Me Well
2. Sleepwalking
3. I Don't Feel It
4. Impossibly
5. Wide Eyed At Midnight

Recommended If You LikeKeane; Go: Audio; pop music

Facebook

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
07:45 PM on 08/28/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I absolutely love this disc. Gah.
07:20 PM on 09/02/12
TwelveTribes230
<>
User Info.
Wow, I remember these guys when they friended me on myspace way back when...they used to have a kind of boring piano-rock sound, but this new stuff is pretty damn catchy.. definitely get a Perfect Symmetry vibe from this.
08:03 AM on 11/12/12
The Grey Man
Team Larz
User Info.
Used to really like these guys. Haven't listened to them in a while. Might have to check this out
11:13 AM on 11/12/12
DandonTRJ
~~~ヾ(^∇^
User Info.
Man, I listened to the Bridges EP so much back in the day - Fall and In Dreams are such gorgeous tunes. Really curious where they've taken their sound. Their guitarist was super-chill when I chatted with him on Mae's farewell tour. Would love to see them get some legit mainstream success.
07:01 PM on 11/12/12
leftapart
User Info.
I quite enjoyed this band back when they were playing 'boring piano rock' back in '07. This electro 80's sound material is pretty badass as well. Glad to see them getting some much needed and deserved attention!
08:47 PM on 11/12/12
BuiltToFall
User Info.
They put on a good show on the Mae farewell tour. I picked up all their eps that night.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests