AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

09:28 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
claw38
Athens, OH
Male - 22 Years Old
I live in a college town and share a 2 bed/1 bath with a buddy of mine, and it's $475 a month each. It's not bad, and the apartments are nice. The way you described yours, I would say keep looking. You could do much better for that price
09:38 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
bung
Peel slowly and see
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 26 Years Old
LOL. I live in a 2 bed/2 bath apt. w/ washer/dryer, fireplace, balcony, underground parking, and all utilities included except electric for $1080/month.
09:47 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen 701 bands live!
Hudson County, NJ
Male
Unless this is in Stamford, you're getting ripped off. Not sure where in CT you live but my gf had two places. One was a 3 bedroom in the hood of New Haven for $700. Friendly neighbors but that area wasn't the best. The 2nd place she had a 2 bedroom in Naugatuck for 700. Each place was split 3 ways. Only problem with Naugatuck was that the place was in the middle of nowhere lol.
10:16 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
Rockwall, TX
Male - 23 Years Old
don't settle for a futon, mini fridge and a hot plate... not for that price

I live in a fairly decent neighborhood in Dallas... in a 2 bedroom duplex that's about 1100 square feet with a stove/oven, full size fridge, backyard and a one car garage - I pay $750 a month but I've got it knocked down to $730 cuz I mow the lawn myself... Bills runs me anywhere from $175-300 depending on if it's summer/winter etc... I live with my gf so it's not bad at all... Rent in other cities might be more, but I've paid $420 for 1 bedroom apartments with full size fridges, stoves/ovens and even a washer/dryer

I'd definitely look around a bit more before making any decisions

Please tell me where I can find a deal like this. Exactly what I need haha.
10:49 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
In-Silence
No Avatar Selected
Male - 24 Years Old
I feel bad when people talk about how much they pay for rent when I have a 5 bedroom 3 story house for only $700 a month + utilities. Have the best roommates ever too. So yes, I would say $500 for that room is entirely too much.
10:54 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
Jeremytheturtle
No Avatar Selected
I think you should check out more then just one place. I know you are probably want to leave your pareants house ASAP, but if they are not kicking you out then keep looking and keep saving money.

What part of CT are you looking, I was paying about $700 a month for a studio Apartment in Milford up until 6 months ago when I bought a condo.
11:38 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
sjb2k1
the bull city
Female - 31 Years Old
$600/month for a tiny fridge/hot plate/dirty ass living space?

you can do better than that.
11:50 AM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Rip off, my cousin lives in New Britain, CT and pays like $450-$500 a month for everything (Rent+ utilities) and has a full kitchen. I mean, it is a 3 bedroom and each roommate pays that amount, but I feel like a small studio should be cheaper than what you're looking at, especially with only a mini fridge and it being so dirty. Ever consider finding roommates? It may give you some better amenities.

But yeah, if I were you, I wouldn't spend that much on an apartment unless it at least had a full kitchen.

EDIT

Didn't read you saying all your friends are off in different places. Searching craigslist for a roommate may be a good idea, though, as long as they seem normal enough and are around your age. Especially if it's for a place where that roommate already lives and is set up, it would make things a lot less hectic on move-in day to have an apartment that's already pretty set-up.
12:13 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
wroteurname
Registered Loser
ROCKville, CT
Male - 26 Years Old
Wow thanks for all the good, honest responses! For people who seem to know CT; it is on the Vernon-Bolton line about 25 minutes east of Hartford and 15 west of Storrs just off rt. 6. I'm definitely gonna keep looking. My parents arent kicking me out so I'd much rather live in a nice house for free for the team being haha.
12:15 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Wow thanks for all the good, honest responses! For people who seem to know CT; it is on the Vernon-Bolton line about 25 minutes east of Hartford and 15 west of Storrs just off rt. 6. I'm definitely gonna keep looking. My parents arent kicking me out so I'd much rather live in a nice house for free for the team being haha.

How far is that from East Lyme, Mystic, New Haven, Niantic or New Britain? Just wondering because I have family from those places but am unfamiliar with any other parts of CT xD. If you're looking at moving near one of those towns I may be able to ask one of my cousins if they know what normal rent seems to be around there and if they have any suggested apartment buildings they've heard good things about that friends live at or something.
02:16 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
tell that mick
@mickrouse
New York, NY
Male
I've heard rent in CT can be a bit high, but that sounds ridiculous. I live on the Upper West Side of Manhattan in a 3-bedroom duplex, complete with a full private backdoor area/garden and my roommate and I pay about $1500 a piece, plus about $60-80 to ConEd each month. If we wanted to rent out our third bedroom, we would be paying like $980 or so. I know I've lucked out and found a true gem, and I know of no other apartment as cheap as mine with equal amenities in the general area, but still...

Be patient. From what you described, that is a total con job.
03:03 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
maxvsmaradona
thesecondside.bandcamp.co m
New Jersey
Male - 24 Years Old

It's TOO DAMN HIGH.
03:15 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
wroteurname
Registered Loser
ROCKville, CT
Male - 26 Years Old
How far is that from East Lyme, Mystic, New Haven, Niantic or New Britain? Just wondering because I have family from those places but am unfamiliar with any other parts of CT xD. If you're looking at moving near one of those towns I may be able to ask one of my cousins if they know what normal rent seems to be around there and if they have any suggested apartment buildings they've heard good things about that friends live at or something.

It's not really too close to any of those places, but nothing in CT is too far apart.
08:14 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
I'm sorry, T!
North Jersey
Male

Five years ago, I lived in Thompson, CT (northeast corner, about 30 miles from where you're looking at). I paid $625 a month and my place was more than twice as better as to what you described (1BR, living room, bathroom, fully functioning kitchen but no washer/dryer). Don't know what the going rate now is. I went to school at UConn so I sort of know the area you're in. If you want to remain in that area, look for places in rural/working class towns. My place in Thompson was in a multi-family home, which is common in the area. And I prefer reaching out to realiters that do apartments. For some reason, I just don't trust craigslist.
08:38 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
wroteurname
Registered Loser
ROCKville, CT
Male - 26 Years Old
Five years ago, I lived in Thompson, CT (northeast corner, about 30 miles from where you're looking at). I paid $625 a month and my place was more than twice as better as to what you described (1BR, living room, bathroom, fully functioning kitchen but no washer/dryer). Don't know what the going rate now is. I went to school at UConn so I sort of know the area you're in. If you want to remain in that area, look for places in rural/working class towns. My place in Thompson was in a multi-family home, which is common in the area. And I prefer reaching out to realiters that do apartments. For some reason, I just don't trust craigslist.
Yeah that is a much cheaper area, being further from Hartford. I almost got transferred to Putnam which would have meant a definite move and much cheaper rent.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos