02:55 PM on 11/20/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Oh, you're one of those... Alright.

What does that even mean
02:57 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
Yikes lets not start naming what we think are classics. Weve gone too far now that Finch is in the mix
02:58 PM on 11/20/12
stuckinthe90's
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
My Bloody Valentine bankrupted people to make Loveless, and that is a far, far, far superior album.
I mean, I understand your point but Zero by teh Smashing Pumpkins has as many, if not more, guitar layers.
I think loveless is ok, but for me the self titled by 3eb really sums up the period it came from, and for me that's what makes it a classic. -prog rock, post grunge, pop, and amazing collaboration with a duo of talented people (kevin cadogan and stephen jenkins). It stands the test of time every time I listen to it (multiple times a month). I feel today the 'big hits' don't have the depth as some of the albums from the 90's that had talent (pumpkins, flaming lips, etc).

To sum up a classic is representative of its time & an album that is still just genuinely good. I may like Devo songs the best bust some Duran Duran albums are more 'classic' in that respect.
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Yikes lets not start naming what we think are classics. Weve gone too far now that Finch is in the mix
It's not a personal classic for me, but I could see why someone would consider it a classic in the context of this scene, i.e. as far as influence in other bands.
Drew Beringer
User Info.
also fuck you, you don't make the rules here.
Jason Tate
User Info.
also fuck you, you don't make the rules here.

02:59 PM on 11/20/12
ChaseTx
In regards to Kanye, his classics are the first 2. MBDTF doesn't come close.
02:59 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
I think were all aware of that
03:01 PM on 11/20/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.

Have always thought this, always will
03:02 PM on 11/20/12
Star Slight
User Info.
Mbdtf is not a "classic" and ive asked why people call it one multiple times and everyones like oh. Everyone naming all their classic albums in here negates what the article said and just adds to the detrimental consumption of popular culture
03:02 PM on 11/20/12
Jason Tate
User Info.

Could not disagree more.
03:03 PM on 11/20/12
georgedcc
User Info.
Do people think you can call an album a classic without liking it? I don't really like The Rolling Stones, but their influence is so vast that it can't be denied. Still doesn't mean I particularly like their music, but can I honestly say that Exile on Main Street or Let it Bleed is a classic album, despite the fact that I probably won't listen to that album again?

I guess you could use the Finch and Underoath examples like Drew did, but I'd be extremely reluctant to call those albums classics.
03:04 PM on 11/20/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Mbdtf is not a "classic" and ive asked why people call it one multiple times and no one answers. Everyone naming all their classic albums in here negates what the article said and just adds to the detrimental consumption of popular culture
The comments aren't for the article - it's for the news post - which includes the entire second paragraph. Your final sentence makes no sense. The consumption I popular culture?
03:04 PM on 11/20/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
this is a fantastic debate and I'm excited for it to play out. For the record, I think all 3 of those records are classics, all 3 are so different and show how versatile West is. College Dropout is more a pure hip hop classic based on the production, the album's flow, and the lyrical content. Late Registration had more of Kanye tapping into that pop sound (not in the sense of something like Justin Beiber or the like, but in the fact he worked with Jon Brion on some it and whatnot; a lot of strings a lot of baroque influence, etc.). MBDTF is more of the man going deep inside his psyche, matching production with the content - being grandiose as well as vulnerable. It's like a rock opera, it's his The Wall or Sgt Pepper's, etc.

I personally rank MBDTF as tops, but I can see and understand the arguments made for his first two albums.
03:05 PM on 11/20/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
Do people think you can call an album a classic without liking it? I don't really like The Rolling Stones, but their influence is so vast that it can't be denied. Still doesn't mean I particularly like their music, but can I honestly say that Exile on Main Street or Let it Bleed is a classic album, despite the fact that I probably won't listen to that album again?

I guess you could use the Finch and Underoath examples like Drew did, but I'd be extremely reluctant to call those albums classics.
well, it's important to realize that I mentioned those albums in the context of this "scene" and not music in general. People are just going to read the albums and not realize the context they are in.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests