Username
Password

01:09 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
Portugal4142
@BrandonMir
Pa
Male - 28 Years Old
I'm just saying that eventually it's worth it. I did 6.5 years at a really tough college and a lot of it while working at the same time. It eventually pays off if you work hard at something.

Haha i hear ya, i was just kidding. I'm just finishing up my masters and have been working in a cubicle the last 5 years... i hope to have a job as cool as yours some time soon.
01:22 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
XenoAbe
Cowboy monkey riding border collies
Atlanta, Ga
Male - 30 Years Old
Haha i hear ya, i was just kidding. I'm just finishing up my masters and have been working in a cubicle the last 5 years... i hope to have a job as cool as yours some time soon.

I'm in a cubicle too, but it's full of toys and a TV as well.
01:48 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
Ollie McKraut
Registered Member
Male - 23 Years Old
I keep getting passed over for work so I'm a little envious of anybody with a full time gig locked in
06:49 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
Louisville
Male
I work with mentally disabled adults and my job is to help assimilate them into the community and to do presentations to local companies and the government to secure funding since my company is a non profit organization.

I'll get to go to the movies, out to eat, take the adults to jobs, out shopping, etc.

The not so fun part is spending weeks going to meetings and pitching proposals to people so they write a check for the company
Luckily I don't do that part alone.
07:08 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
Kassie09
in the empire business
Pittsburgh, PA
Female - 24 Years Old
I work with mentally disabled adults and my job is to help assimilate them into the community and to do presentations to local companies and the government to secure funding since my company is a non profit organization.

I'll get to go to the movies, out to eat, take the adults to jobs, out shopping, etc.

The not so fun part is spending weeks going to meetings and pitching proposals to people so they write a check for the company
Luckily I don't do that part alone.

I respect your job a ton, glad you do it so they don't have to live in institutions/can live on their own or in community homes! I love taking my clients on outings.

Anyway back to the thread's discussion:
my job when I'm home from college is taking care of severe mentally disabled adults in a big institution (it's like a nursing home except we do fun shit and it's not that depressing cause they're not just there to die and they get top of the line care cause we're ran by nuns and they don't fuck around).

I only hate my job cause it's sad sometimes, it's gross sometimes, and it takes a lot of physical strength i don't have. Mainly it just sucks cause sometimes I get stomach bile from feeding tubes or trach secretions on me and that's pretty disgusting. Also one time I got bit. That sucked.

but otherwise i love my boys and can't wait to see them over christmas break! yay!
07:37 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
fallfromgrace85
CephaLOVEpod
Nashville, TN
Female - 26 Years Old
Future employers would most likely see 3-4 months at a company as a negative thing, however if you interview just be sure to stress that your dream career/degree is in the marketing/design field and that is why you are applying for new positions. If I were you, I would begin applying for new jobs around the 6 month mark, that way any interview you get you really won't have to explain yourself as 6 months (and companies I've worked for agree) is a standard time to "give" to a position before exploring other options.

Unfortunately, I was thinking along the same lines. Its really difficult, although I understand the importance of wanting to set myself up for a more stable position in the future.

Cheers to those who make their career in the medical field. Just had another mom cuss me out over the phone because *she* misunderstood the day her daughter was supposed to start therapy. Y'all work wonders, seriously.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Although, I am interested in hearing about everyone else's careers!!
07:41 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
fallfromgrace85
CephaLOVEpod
Nashville, TN
Female - 26 Years Old
I love my job at Cartoon Network. I get to watch cartoons and play games all day while also doing fun design work. 100% serious.

I am positively thrilled to hear that. I really want to be in the same position as you someday. But man, they know what they're talking about with the whole "patience is a virtue" thing. I can't wait to get to that place in my life!
08:05 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
Amongster
Still In Last Place
Illinois, USA
Female - 24 Years Old
I've been with the company I work for about a year and a half. In that time, two people hired after me have been promoted while I'm at the same level (one was promoted a month after starting). I am more productive than both of them though, and during shifts I share with either, I have to suggest things for them to do because they're literally just standing around. Beyond that, I make a greater connection with customers.

Am I as bubbly as them? No, but I put forth a great deal of effort and produce fucking results regardless of how much I smile. My old job recognized that, and they promoted me two levels right away. But I'm still at the bottom of the place I am now, and it's just ridiculous.
09:13 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
leftapart
Bay Area, CA
Male
I've been with the company I work for about a year and a half. In that time, two people hired after me have been promoted while I'm at the same level (one was promoted a month after starting). I am more productive than both of them though, and during shifts I share with either, I have to suggest things for them to do because they're literally just standing around. Beyond that, I make a greater connection with customers.

Am I as bubbly as them? No, but I put forth a great deal of effort and produce fucking results regardless of how much I smile. My old job recognized that, and they promoted me two levels right away. But I'm still at the bottom of the place I am now, and it's just ridiculous.

That doesn't seem right. Is it really just their 'bubbly' personality? Do they have college degrees? Are they older? More experience? Women? What's the deal?
09:29 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
Alison1488
____
Female - 26 Years Old
I feel that I should stay away from this thread...

I will have been at my job for 10 years in June and I make almost nothing. I have climbed the ladder to a very important position, but for some reason, it's not seen as that important. I have set such a standard that people have come to expect that they don't notice the workload I take on and handle efficiently. It's exhausting, degrading, and completely unfair. This is why I've been going through a long interview process with another company and will find out the fate of my work-future in two weeks.
09:32 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 27 Years Old
I love my job at Cartoon Network. I get to watch cartoons and play games all day while also doing fun design work. 100% serious.

Ugh I hate you.

Curious, what did you study for 6.5 years, and what do you do there?

I just decided this year to pursue a job like yours, given where I live I think I should take advantage of that. But, I think I need to finish school first. Getting an English degree (my love and eventually I just want to teach) and a second in Marketing. I want to do PR or even assistant work in a studio. Page. Anything.

Right now I work for a medical management company in the legal department. I hate that I'm so good at my job and keep getting more and more responsibilities because its so dumb. I'm trying to build myself up to move to the marketing department so I can eventually take that experience to a more creative business in LA, but my boss is not even trying to let me go.

I don't know what to do. Blargh.
09:34 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
Amongster
Still In Last Place
Illinois, USA
Female - 24 Years Old
That doesn't seem right. Is it really just their 'bubbly' personality? Do they have college degrees? Are they older? More experience? Women? What's the deal?

They do have college degrees, but that hardly matters seeing as it's a coffee shop; our district manager doesn't even have one. They are both the same age, one male and one female, and have each had some leadership experience at previous jobs like me. My GM has only cited my personality as reason for my retention, saying my introversion makes me less approachable and less favoured to work with by others.
10:58 PM on 11/20/12 
User Info.
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
Louisville
Male
I respect your job a ton, glad you do it so they don't have to live in institutions/can live on their own or in community homes! I love taking my clients on outings.

Anyway back to the thread's discussion:
my job when I'm home from college is taking care of severe mentally disabled adults in a big institution (it's like a nursing home except we do fun shit and it's not that depressing cause they're not just there to die and they get top of the line care cause we're ran by nuns and they don't fuck around).

I only hate my job cause it's sad sometimes, it's gross sometimes, and it takes a lot of physical strength i don't have. Mainly it just sucks cause sometimes I get stomach bile from feeding tubes or trach secretions on me and that's pretty disgusting. Also one time I got bit. That sucked.

but otherwise i love my boys and can't wait to see them over christmas break! yay!

We have some very similar jobs. I'd love to hear some stories you have, cause i know things can get interesting.
02:35 AM on 11/21/12 
User Info.
allthewaysaid
Have a feeling I'll die in my20s...
Texas
Male - 23 Years Old
The only jobs I've ever had are in grocery stores..I've been lucky enough to work with awesome people at the stores, but thank God it's time to start looking for a full time job/internship. Bagging groceries/cashiering for five years is more than enough to make a man feel worthless haha

Also, as long as you give the two weeks notice, you'll be fine. It won't reflect poorly on future job hunts unless you worked a ton of jobs for a small amount of time.

I feel ya.

CN sux, Nickelodeon rox.
06:22 AM on 11/21/12 
User Info.
XenoAbe
Cowboy monkey riding border collies
Atlanta, Ga
Male - 30 Years Old
Curious, what did you study for 6.5 years, and what do you do there?

I went to Georgia Tech and got my undergrad in Computational Media and my Masters in Human-Computer Interaction. I'm now a User Experience Architect that is responsible for the layouts, functionality, and overall user experience of the website, mobile sites, and some of our mobile games we're starting to put out.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos