Username
Password

05:26 AM on 11/21/12 
User Info.
XenoAbe
Cowboy monkey riding border collies
Atlanta, Ga
Male - 29 Years Old
I am positively thrilled to hear that. I really want to be in the same position as you someday. But man, they know what they're talking about with the whole "patience is a virtue" thing. I can't wait to get to that place in my life!

I've only had 3 real jobs (defined as what I went to school to do). One I was at for 3.5 years, one for 5 months, and I've been at CN for 1.5 years. I obviously liked my first job and my current one. I hated the middle one. My advice is if you don't like your job do all you can to find something that you do like. However, don't make a habit out of jumping from one job to another as employers will look poorly on that and think you're never happy. Patience is part of the game but keep your out for other opportunities and make sure you work hard at your current job. Even if you hate it, working hard at what you do will show your work ethic and will pay off for you in the long run.
07:31 AM on 11/21/12 
User Info.
Kapa73
Male - 27 Years Old
Today, I celebrate my 90 days with a physical therapy company. The upside to that is now I get paid for holidays (just in time for the big ones!) .... The downside? This place is terrible. My therapists are wonderful and so is the office staff. But the people higher up the ladder are conniving snakes, among other things. While I could go on, I'll cut to the chase:

What is the "polite" amount of time to stay with a company before moving on?

I have a marketing degree ad this has always been meant to be temporary. But now 3 of my therapists are leaving within a 2-month time frame, and we all share the same view of the higher-ups. I've begun applying for marketing/graphics jobs, but is it too soon? Would future employers view 3-4 months with a company distasteful?

Aside from that, blow off some steam and tell me why you hate your job.

I'm currently an HR professional who has recruited for large companies and BEEN recruited by large companies. I can tell you that from the interviewer's side we would see the short time frame as a POTENTIAL flag and would likely ask you to explain the situation. If you were able to accurately and professionally explain the situation and provide a worthwhile justification for your brief stint at the organization it would not be an issue.
08:21 AM on 11/21/12 
User Info.
jasonisasleep
No Avatar Selected
Seattle, WA
Male
Unfortunately, I was thinking along the same lines. Its really difficult, although I understand the importance of wanting to set myself up for a more stable position in the future.

Cheers to those who make their career in the medical field. Just had another mom cuss me out over the phone because *she* misunderstood the day her daughter was supposed to start therapy. Y'all work wonders, seriously.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Although, I am interested in hearing about everyone else's careers!!

Well, I'm 30 and spent from 16 to 25 focused solely on playing in bands and trying to further my music career. I had a lot of great experiences, and released some great music, but at 25 I started to realize that it may just not happen for me. I am not really interested in a lot other than music career wise, but I finished my bachelors in psychology hoping that I would grow to love it as much as I do music and find something within the field to make a career out of. I was working on a masters degree in counseling, but realized that it wasn't really what I want to do. The last 5 years have seen me getting married, buying a house, growing with my company that I started working at when I was 25 which has enabled me to move across country (from Austin, TX to CT and back to Austin, TX) for job promotions. I am moving to Seattle next week for another promotion (and because my wife and I really want to live in Seattle) and I will be the first to admit that I do not love my job in the least. The worst of times I hate it, the best of times I can tolerate it. Hopefully this new position will be a bit better, but I do not expect to find love or passion within this "career" path. I hope to start playing music again in Seattle as I have some connections and people that want to jam up there, and hopefully that will bring me the happiness I lack in my career. I am still holding onto the idea that I will one day get to do what I love for a living, but until then, I've got a family to provide for and bills to pay.
04:47 PM on 11/21/12 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 27 Years Old
I went to Georgia Tech and got my undergrad in Computational Media and my Masters in Human-Computer Interaction. I'm now a User Experience Architect that is responsible for the layouts, functionality, and overall user experience of the website, mobile sites, and some of our mobile games we're starting to put out.

Oh okay, yeah I'm definitely not interested in stuff like that haha. That's awesome though, you're living proof of working hard for something awesome that makes everyone else jealous!
04:50 PM on 11/21/12 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 27 Years Old
Well, I'm 30 and spent from 16 to 25 focused solely on playing in bands and trying to further my music career. I had a lot of great experiences, and released some great music, but at 25 I started to realize that it may just not happen for me. I am not really interested in a lot other than music career wise, but I finished my bachelors in psychology hoping that I would grow to love it as much as I do music and find something within the field to make a career out of. I was working on a masters degree in counseling, but realized that it wasn't really what I want to do. The last 5 years have seen me getting married, buying a house, growing with my company that I started working at when I was 25 which has enabled me to move across country (from Austin, TX to CT and back to Austin, TX) for job promotions. I am moving to Seattle next week for another promotion (and because my wife and I really want to live in Seattle) and I will be the first to admit that I do not love my job in the least. The worst of times I hate it, the best of times I can tolerate it. Hopefully this new position will be a bit better, but I do not expect to find love or passion within this "career" path. I hope to start playing music again in Seattle as I have some connections and people that want to jam up there, and hopefully that will bring me the happiness I lack in my career. I am still holding onto the idea that I will one day get to do what I love for a living, but until then, I've got a family to provide for and bills to pay.

Amen, man, god help us.
10:02 AM on 11/28/12 
User Info.
xCoconutheadx
Perfectly Imperfect
United States
Female - 20 Years Old
Today, I celebrate my 90 days with a physical therapy company. The upside to that is now I get paid for holidays (just in time for the big ones!) .... The downside? This place is terrible. My therapists are wonderful and so is the office staff. But the people higher up the ladder are conniving snakes, among other things. While I could go on, I'll cut to the chase:

What is the "polite" amount of time to stay with a company before moving on?

I have a marketing degree ad this has always been meant to be temporary. But now 3 of my therapists are leaving within a 2-month time frame, and we all share the same view of the higher-ups. I've begun applying for marketing/graphics jobs, but is it too soon? Would future employers view 3-4 months with a company distasteful?

Aside from that, blow off some steam and tell me why you hate your job.

If you have different variations of your resume, use the one that leaves off this particular job.

I worked as a janitor for two months, I dont go to interviews saying, hey I was a janitor for two months.
07:07 PM on 11/28/12 
User Info.
lauren1234
Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Female - 22 Years Old
Man, every day I'm grateful that I don't hate my job. We're like a family there and we're all such good friends. It's such an awesome environment.
08:48 AM on 12/01/12 
User Info.
fallfromgrace85
CephaLOVEpod
Nashville, TN
Female - 25 Years Old
Thank you for all of the wonderful advice!! While I have a degree in graphic design, I've found that medical is a great niche. I will be moving positions VERY soon - and I'm doing everything in my power to avoid burning bridges, as I'm a super impulsive individual and I do tell you what I think.

After my supervisor/director of the physical therapy program put in her 1 month's notice, she was walked out the door after only a week - I was the first person to find out about it, even BEFORE SHE DID. The guy directly above her, who is the regional manager/VP of the company, gave me every detail as to why he was getting rid of her - all of which were lies about her personal character, and although she had a no-compete clause in her contract, those are actually illegal to enforce in the state of Virginia, as it is a right-to-work state.

Furthermore, this Monday, by co-pilot (aka my other receptionist) put in her 2-weeks for a job closer to her home with better pay. We were instructed not to give out former director's personal information out, but fuck that. She's no longer a part of the company and she wants her patients to have it if they ask. No HIPPA violation there. Finally, heard through the grapevine that the ancient therapist who does such a terrible job that people storm out of appointments, "tattled" on us for doing so and somehow found out our other superb therapist was looking for another job.

Regional manager gave her a call and she owned up to it. Is expecting to be walked out the door at any moment. What he doesn't know is she already found another job and is just waiting on government clearance. Our PTA is also job hunting and waiting to hear back on a home-health position. I'm out as SOON as possible. Have an interview with another hospital on Monday for better pay and a better environment. This ship is going down, and I refuse to be on it.
10:38 PM on 12/01/12 
User Info.
Jenajena
Jena ≈ Gina.
Las Vegas, NV
Female - 20 Years Old
I work at Justice (little girls' clothing store) and they schedule me for one shift a week. The shift's only 3 hours. I've worked at this location for over 6 months, and another location before that for 4 months. A couple weeks ago, they didn't schedule me at all. I'm probably quitting after the new year.

I have a second job, so I think it'll all work out.
10:38 PM on 12/01/12 
User Info.
Jenajena
Jena ≈ Gina.
Las Vegas, NV
Female - 20 Years Old
Man, every day I'm grateful that I don't hate my job. We're like a family there and we're all such good friends. It's such an awesome environment.

Where do you work? Sounds perfect.
01:12 AM on 12/02/12 
User Info.
allthewaysaid
Have a feeling I'll die in my20s...
Texas
Male - 22 Years Old

He sells meth.
03:35 PM on 12/02/12 
User Info.
lauren1234
Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Female - 22 Years Old

Bath and Body Works!
04:23 PM on 12/02/12 
User Info.
Jenajena
Jena ≈ Gina.
Las Vegas, NV
Female - 20 Years Old

Cool! I recently got an interview offer at BBW but had to turn it down because they wanted me at a further location than the one I applied for.
08:34 AM on 12/04/12 
User Info.
KillyourIdols88
Standing on the Edge of Summer
Midland
Male - 25 Years Old
I love my job and everyone is friendly but, my crew chief who I ride in the truck with all day likes lol Wayne. -_-

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos