Password

Album Review

The Seeking - Yours Forever Album Cover

The Seeking - Yours Forever

Reviewed by
The Seeking - Yours Forever
Record Label: Razor & Tie
Release Date: November 6, 2012
Recent signees of Razor & Tie, The Seeking is a band that seems a bit torn by their influences. On one hand, they rock a pretty smooth pop sound that draws from bands like Sleeping with Sirens, while on the other hand they seem pretty insistent on drawing a bit from heavier bands in the form of aggression via breakdowns. And while their debut LP Yours Forever is a bit tattered and torn in terms of cohesiveness, there are moments where you can’t help but be intrigued by the band’s abilities in terms of songwriting and musicianship.

The title track gets off to a bit of a rough start, but the gripping riff makes it a tough track to deny when the band hits full steam. The bumping pulse of the track explodes on the soaring chorus as The Seeking seem to fire on all cylinders when they aren’t attempting to dice things up with their heavier influences. The guitar solo is an interesting touch as well considering it isn’t really innately tied to either of their two worlds, per se. It sets up an interesting contrast between the band’s fluffier moments and their leanings into more aggressive territory. In all honesty, the band seems a bit more at home in the edgy pop-rock heard on tracks like “You Won’t Bring Me Down” or in bits of “Take It From Me” and “So Cold”. Even the slower sways of “Change My Ways” and the stomping ballad “Alone” make for a better home of this band as opposed to the sluggish, forced bits of heaviness that feel more like obligations than aspirations.

Vocally, the band seems to have a crown jewel of sorts in the cleans here, as the register-teetering vocal lines aren’t necessarily pulling from one or two places. Knowing when to let those higher notes fly can be a bit of a challenge, and these guys seem to know when and how to tap into their vocalist’s abilities if they need too. The screams are decent, but if anything they fit enough to where things don’t get totally derailed when those heavy parts come in. On that same note though, this is a band just now getting to making it’s first full-length, and with that comes some obvious growing pains. Lyrically, this album seems well-intentioned, but in its execution is a bit flat and lacking in the originally department. Couple that with some moments where the songwriting is not quite tuned in – even when in the poppier moments – and the blow by blow path of these tracks isn’t always as smooth as they could be.

Though not a complete disaster, there’s still enough to make parts of Yours Forever a decent start for The Seeking. It’ll be interesting to see how they form their sound from here, but here’s to hoping they focus a bit more on their strengths instead of trying to win over crowds with flash in the pan antics in their songwriting.
This review is a user submitted review from Jason Gardner. You can see all of Jason Gardner's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
11:16 AM on 11/27/12
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Would've given maybe a 75%-80%. Clean vocals are excellent and most of the choruses are very untypical. Although I am a huge fan of heavy music I agree that the screams don't quite work well here. He's a fine screamer but not many of the heavy parts seem fluid with the rest of the music.
11:59 AM on 11/27/12
icynova
Love is easier made than kept!
User Info.
I just appreciate that they lyrics aren't the complete garbage that gets thrown around this website by some recent metalcore favorites. I'll be picking this album up mostly to support that.
01:13 PM on 11/27/12
lostprophetj
User Info.
I just appreciate that they lyrics aren't the complete garbage that gets thrown around this website by some recent metalcore favorites. I'll be picking this album up mostly to support that.
Along with a book on how to spell? TROLL.

Sorry, I had to.
01:38 PM on 11/27/12
aspartame
so more to life
User Info.
Way too low. They're doing something creative, and they're doing it well. In this scene, that's gold. Catchier than any other album coming out as well.
02:52 PM on 11/27/12
Niko John
https://twitter.com/nikovercelletto
User Info.
I am a big fan of this album. Love the cleans and while the heavy parts aren't too fluid, the combination of such a drastic contrast is something that is pretty unique in the scene. I would give it a 75%.
03:02 PM on 11/27/12
icynova
Love is easier made than kept!
User Info.
Along with a book on how to spell? TROLL.

Sorry, I had to.

Gah. That's what I get for typing replies on my phone.
05:44 PM on 11/27/12
Apathium
User Info.
I agree with this review. Some of the heavier stuff seems forced.
09:56 AM on 11/28/12
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
User Info.
Screamed vocals don't fit to them. In my opinion, they should rework their sound and let their rock/pop vibe take over.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos