Username
Password

04:52 PM on 11/27/12 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
I am an in a position right now where I have enough savings to wipe out all of my debt, credit cards and the remainder of my student loans. However, doing so wouldn't leave me with a whole lot of savings. My condo is underwater by about $20k. I paid off my car last year so that isn't an issue.

In this economy, do you think it is more important to have lots of savings or no debt?
04:58 PM on 11/27/12 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
What's up Hot Dog?
Connecticut
Male
You don't want to be apart of the 40% of Americans with less than $500 in savings to their name.
05:04 PM on 11/27/12 
User Info.
sjb2k1
the bull city
Female - 31 Years Old
pick the one with the highest interest rate and pay it off fully.
05:06 PM on 11/27/12 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male

Yeah it's scary, luckily personal debt is decreasing. Maybe people will start saving again as it gets lower.
05:07 PM on 11/27/12 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
pick the one with the highest interest rate and pay it off fully.

Well, they are all higher than the rate I am earning on my savings. So while I have cash in the bank, I am losing money on my debt's interest rate. So the question is whether or not the risk of having a low savings balance for a while so I can wipe my debt out is worth it.
05:10 PM on 11/27/12 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
I personally would wipe out all my debt first. From there, everything I don't spend on living is savings, and not going towards payments on something
05:11 PM on 11/27/12 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
I personally would wipe out all my debt first. From there, everything I don't spend on living is savings, and not going towards payments on something

That would be the plan. Though, risk there is in an emergency I would have to use debt again because my savings is shot.
05:12 PM on 11/27/12 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
There is always the school of thought that says that I should just pay more on my debt than I save. I have been doing that, and maybe I should just keep doing that.
05:12 PM on 11/27/12 
User Info.
sjb2k1
the bull city
Female - 31 Years Old
Well, they are all higher than the rate I am earning on my savings. So while I have cash in the bank, I am losing money on my debt's interest rate. So the question is whether or not the risk of having a low savings balance for a while so I can wipe my debt out is worth it.
okay so it's kinda all or nothing? pay that shit off. if something bad happens you'll have your credit card, not the greatest idea but at least you won't be caught with your pants down
05:14 PM on 11/27/12 
User Info.
sjb2k1
the bull city
Female - 31 Years Old
There is always the school of thought that says that I should just pay more on my debt than I save. I have been doing that, and maybe I should just keep doing that.
that's probably the best compromise if you don't want to risk your entire savings.
05:15 PM on 11/27/12 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
okay so it's kinda all or nothing? pay that shit off. if something bad happens you'll have your credit card, not the greatest idea but at least you won't be caught with your pants down

Yeah, I guess your right. Ughhh, writing that check is gonna be hard.

A lesson to all of you, do your best to not use a credit card, its a real bitch.
05:22 PM on 11/27/12 
User Info.
sjb2k1
the bull city
Female - 31 Years Old
Yeah, I guess your right. Ughhh, writing that check is gonna be hard.

A lesson to all of you, do your best to not use a credit card, its a real bitch.
honestly the only reason i haven't cut mine up yet is because i know my luck is that i would immediately need the physical card for something.

credit cards are the devil
05:24 PM on 11/27/12 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
I like having my credit card, if only because i needed to start building up some credit.

This will be the first month that I can't afford to pay off the entire balance and avoid interest charges, so I'm kinda pissed about that. But I should be able to pay a solid chunk of it
05:32 PM on 11/27/12 
User Info.
sjb2k1
the bull city
Female - 31 Years Old
see, i am delightfully irresponsible with my money, and the credit card only further facilitates my recklessness.
06:12 PM on 11/27/12 
User Info.
Love As Arson
Resident Marxist
The Motherland
Male - 29 Years Old
Send some money to my pay-pal. Show some charity that you libertarians are always talking about. lol.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos