Username
Password

01:23 AM on 11/29/12 
User Info.
Dicebox
magnificentdefeat.bandcam p.com
Cebu, Philippines
Male - 24 Years Old
Well, in all honesty I would take the money I would be using for debt and save for a wedding.

I don't feel like I am in any danger to lose my job, so I at least have enough time to save a 6 month cushion. After that a wedding fund begins.
Any reason you're choosing 6 months? Wedding fund is a great idea. Are you engaged now?
Congratulations on paying off the debt.
05:29 AM on 11/29/12 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
Alex P. Keaton
Columbus, Ohio
Male
Well, in all honesty I would take the money I would be using for debt and save for a wedding.

I don't feel like I am in any danger to lose my job, so I at least have enough time to save a 6 month cushion. After that a wedding fund begins.

If you plan on getting married, why bother wasting money on a lavish ceremony? Just get the marriage certificate. The money you blow on a ceremony could go towards the first year tuition of your child's college education.
05:49 AM on 11/29/12 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
Any reason you're choosing 6 months? Wedding fund is a great idea. Are you engaged now?
Congratulations on paying off the debt.

6 months is ideal, but I would feel comfortable with 3 months. I am not engaged now.

Thanks!
05:50 AM on 11/29/12 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
If you plan on getting married, why bother wasting money on a lavish ceremony? Just get the marriage certificate. The money you blow on a ceremony could go towards the first year tuition of your child's college education.

Trust me I agree, try explaining that to my girlfriend, or my mother for that matter.
06:12 AM on 11/29/12 
User Info.
knash9
Registered Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Male - 19 Years Old
Trust me I agree, try explaining that to my girlfriend, or my mother for that matter.

Good luck on that one haha. Also congratulations on paying off the debt.
06:53 AM on 11/29/12 
User Info.
georgedcc
Seosan
Male - 22 Years Old
I used to work as a barman at weddings and the amount of money people would spend on weddings was frightening. I'd work at a wedding where it probably cost about £2000 and the people there had just as good a time as the people who spent £40,000. All you need is booze and, a floor space, a bit of food and loud music. So that convinced me that if I get married, there's no way I'm going to spend much money on it.

Congratulations on being debt-free Birdman! Also congratulations on being with a woman that you're happy to marry! I expect an invite for everyone in the politics threads ha. Maybe Jason could be best man?
07:00 AM on 11/29/12 
User Info.
spiffa0
I am the Third Revelation
Westmont, NJ
Male - 26 Years Old
I've made some mistakes in my college years and racked up some credit card debt. Is it possible to take out a lower interest loan from a bank to pay off that debt so now you only have one loan at a lower interest rate?

I've ceased using credit cards over the past year and while I'm definitely more responsible with my money, living in South Jersey ain't cheap and it's a slow process to recover from past mistakes.
07:19 AM on 11/29/12 
User Info.
Dicebox
magnificentdefeat.bandcam p.com
Cebu, Philippines
Male - 24 Years Old
I've made some mistakes in my college years and racked up some credit card debt. Is it possible to take out a lower interest loan from a bank to pay off that debt so now you only have one loan at a lower interest rate?

I've ceased using credit cards over the past year and while I'm definitely more responsible with my money, living in South Jersey ain't cheap and it's a slow process to recover from past mistakes.

Sounds like you're on a good path. But most likely you wont be able to take out a loan with low enough interest to make it work. Pay the minimum amount each month for every account and use any extra money you have to start paying off the smallest of debts. Once you pay off the small things, use that money to pay off bigger accounts. Repeat until debt free.
07:36 AM on 11/29/12 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
Birdman, you should live-stream your wedding, that way we can all watch and point out all the unchecked and inefficient wedding spending!
08:11 AM on 11/29/12 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male

You would be surprised what can come of just going to your bank, sitting down with someone, and talking to them about your money. That's what I did. It changed my life.
11:37 AM on 11/29/12 
User Info.
InTheatersNow
Suck My Balls
Palatine, IL
Male - 26 Years Old
Yeah it's scary, luckily personal debt is decreasing. Maybe people will start saving again as it gets lower.

I'd guess personal debt is decreasing partially to the increase in bankruptcy filings. Also, if people start saving too much then the economy as a whole will continue to slide. Interest rates are as low as they are currently to increase spending.
11:38 AM on 11/29/12 
User Info.
InTheatersNow
Suck My Balls
Palatine, IL
Male - 26 Years Old
Oh yeah and pay off your debt before saving. Use half of your savings if you are hesitant, but eliminate as much debt as possible.
12:33 PM on 11/29/12 
User Info.
kyle is hk
The Goddamn Loveliest Melody
Jersey
Male - 23 Years Old

I never understood why people would want to blow so much money on a lavish ceremony. If anything why not use that money to have an insanely long/awesome honeymoon instead?
12:27 PM on 12/29/12 
User Info.
HarryPotter
No Avatar Selected
Hogwarts
Male - 27 Years Old
save your money and let go of your condo. Sell it, or walk away from it. it probably already lost it's value? I don't know how much you paid, but my mortgage is under $1000 a month. I can come up with that working at McDonalds if I had to. I'd take my money out the bank, hold onto it, and start anew. Only student loans last forever, the rest will either disappear in 7 years, or they will severely lower your balance to something affordable/manageable that you can payoff easier. If you have no cash/savings then you are truly in trouble. if you pay 80% of your debts off and have no more money, you'll still lose everything because of the 20% you have left. So if you pay off a car but not a house, the house people take your car. Unless you payoff the bigger stuff first like your condo...anyway, surviving a depression 101

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos