AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Northbound - As Long As The Sun Is Up Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8
Creativity 7.63
Lasting Value 7.63
Reviewer Tilt 8.63
Average: 82%

Northbound - As Long As The Sun Is Up

Reviewed by: JamieTheSonger (12/02/12)
Northbound Ė As Long As The Sun Is Up
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: November 22, 2012

Sometimes I pretend to enjoy happy music but really Iím just filling up my quota so I can say that I listen to all types of music then I go back to sad, angry dudes singing about being sad and angry. So when the record opens up with the words ďWe all mess up. I fucked upĒ I immediately know that despite the fact that Iíve probably listened hours of shit exactly like this, nothing will stop me from memorizing every word.

Northbound is one dude named Jon Fraser who played in a band called Sleep Patterns and now heís singing emo punk with an acoustic guitar. He sings about sucking at life over simple chord progressions and doesnít pretend to be a poet. Instead of comparing girls to summer days he opts to say things like ďI really fucking miss your faceĒ. But this isnít a bad thing; in fact itís a pretty good thing because heís singing exactly what he wants to sing.

It also places a lot of the heavy lifting on Fraserís vocals which are, to use redundant words, raw and emotional. These words are often synonymous with out of tune and generally not so pleasant sounding but this is not the case here. But the standard ďgoodĒ voices almost always lack the power to convey emotion. Fraser is one of the talented few who can sing in tenor melodiously and still be heartbreaking at the same time.

He doesnít always sound so nice though. Sometimes when he really needs to make a point he stops strumming to yell and the contrast to his voice makes it sound that much better. Lines like: "please come pick me up, because this time I really mean it, I really fucked up" will always be accompanied in your head with the sound of Fraserís distraught shrieks.

Twenty minutes after you hit play, Fraser says ďFuck you, now Iím doneĒ and heís actually not joking cause the album ends. Maybe in a year Iíll be content with life and Iíll wonder why I ever enjoyed As Long as the Sun Is Up but for now, itíll do.

Recommended if you like acoustic emo pop punk jammage

Bandcamp
Facebook

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4.
12:48 PM on 12/05/12
Kelly Doherty
@_kellydoherty for the lolz
User Info.
This is excellent. Also, bandcamp free-ness means there's no excuse to not check it out. Great review and excellent album.
07:05 PM on 12/06/12
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
User Info.
This is excellent. Also, bandcamp free-ness means there's no excuse to not check it out. Great review and excellent album.
Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it.
02:35 AM on 12/09/12
InfiniteArms
Best Western Beat
User Info.
This album is great
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives