Password

Album Review

Fierce Brosnan - Good Luck Exploding Album Cover

Fierce Brosnan - Good Luck Exploding

Reviewed by
Fierce Brosnan - Good Luck Exploding
Record Label: Jeremy Records
Release Date: June 5, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Before this review, I want to apologise to any readers who, after reading the body of this review, gets super excited because Fierce Brosnan sound like their new favourite band, and then go to their Bandcamp and realize that Good Luck Exploding is their favourite album of all time. I apologize because, sadly Fierce Brosnan split up this June. However, their sole release, Good Luck Exploding, is certainly worthy of a posthumous listen. Fierce Brosnan play pop punk of the old school variety. With a low budget production, roughly shouted vocals and a completely organic atmosphere, Fierce Brosnan are exactly the sort of band that current pop punk needs, and, sadly, still needs.

Good Luck Exploding shows up every single breakdown/ growl heavy pop punk band that insists upon being as br00tal as possible. The yelled vocals that run throughout the record never come across as forced or strained. The vocals are projected through sheer passion and heart and this is an instant likability factor for the band. “All We Have”, the opener, features somewhat noodly guitars, without straying too far into twinkle daddy territory and tired, exasperated lyrics. The lyrics are blunt, however they are perfect for their purpose. So, while they’re not exactly poetry, anything different would be out of place. “All We Know” is a full force moshalong that still allows for an emotional connection. The track closes out with a math-rock vibe which adds an extra interesting dimension to the song.

It’s this extra dimension that makes Good Luck Exploding as excellent as it is. Whether it’s the slightly post-rock, goosebump inspiring epic of “Joneric” or the straight up pop punk of “We All Fall Down”, Fierce Brosnan never stick to formula or sound like anything else you’ve heard before. Even the token acoustic track “Country Livin’”, stays away from being a generic faux-folk track and takes a more country like, ambient feel. It’s an attractive track that, does exactly what the token acoustic should and it is perfectly juxtaposed with the heavier edges of the rest of the release.

Good Luck Exploding is one of the best punk albums of the year. It never falls into the traps of many of its peers. It never becomes boring and can never be accused of being generic. What it does do though, is breathe life into a genre that has become stagnant in many cases. Listen to Fierce Brosnan, you certainly won’t regret it!

Recommended If You LikeOld school Green Day but more intelligent; Dikembe; punk rock

Additional Information Track Listing
1. All We Have
2. Never Listen
3. This Is Our Home
4. Eliza
5. Joneric
6. Sundays
7. It’s A Bad Thing
8. Quiet
9. Tired
10. Country Livin’
11. We All Fall Down

Band Members
Mike Santostefano
Eric Luszcz
Trevor Reddell

8.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
07:49 AM on 12/04/12
Xiegfried
Reconnect This
User Info.
They kind of remind me of The Static Jacks. I really dig it.
09:46 AM on 12/04/12
Modern Leper
what?
User Info.
I feel like I've been waiting forever for this to come out officially. Love it. One of the best "orgcore" bands.
10:46 AM on 12/04/12
Star Slight
User Info.
This band name is fantastic. I enjoy this a lot
03:43 PM on 12/04/12
leftapart
User Info.
lol @ band name
10:44 PM on 12/08/12
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.