AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Contest News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Contest
Inside AP.net

The Classic Crime Selling Shares On "The New York...

Posted by: Jason Tate (12/20/12)
The Classic Crime are selling shares of their song "The Precipice" through the New York Rock Exchange with exclusive prizes and abilities.

Submitted by Spencer Control

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
01:20 PM on 12/20/12
EmoErk
User Info.
As someone that lives in Green Bay WI this is just like the Packers? You buy a stock to say you own the team when in reality you are really just falling for a very smart scheme. But it's better than giving money to a band that seems to be pulling out all the stops as of late to make money in any way they can.
01:33 PM on 12/20/12
blindrider529
***NICKEL CREEK*** <--GO LISTEN NOW
User Info.
I don't get it, but good luck to 'em. Great song.

03:11 PM on 12/20/12
the_mango
User Info.
Despite the controversy, I didn't mind their use of Kickstarter, but this is just ridiculous. They received donations totaling almost 50k more than they asked for! Start touring already.
04:06 PM on 12/20/12
Lightsout911X
Expect me standing tall
User Info.
Dumbest thing ever. Good song. Good band. So dumb.
07:30 PM on 12/20/12
Frinet
run
User Info.
I don't get why they picked this song, glass houses, heaven and hell, and beautiful darkside are all better imo.
08:06 PM on 12/20/12
blindrider529
User Info.
I don't get why they picked this song, glass houses, heaven and hell, and beautiful darkside are all better imo.

I thought this at first, but in terms of a "single" I think this fits in really well with a lot of the alt-rock radio station singles I've heard lately (like Mumford and Sons, The Lumineers, Of Monsters and Men and other more acoustic based stuff) . Not like it sounds just like anything else, but fits in well. And it's a great song, anyway.
07:28 AM on 12/21/12
combatchuckaa
blammo!
User Info.
Abilities.
08:57 AM on 12/21/12
Spencer Control
Yeah I still burn from time to time
User Info.
I love this band, but they confuse me sometimes.
03:25 PM on 12/28/12
mattmac
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Maybe I'm bored, but I feel an urge to address your comment. Yes, NYRE is a lot like the Packers shareholders deal, except for the fact that with the Packers you don't get a T-shirt, royalty checks in the mail, digital media to distribute to friends, or an exclusive photo album, among other rights. I don't see how it's any different from a regular fan club, where you pay a yearly premium to receive the right to purchase tickets first and a few meet and greets. If people will pay for exclusivity if it's available, it's the job of the artist/company to make it available. Am I crazy for thinking this?

On the touring front, we toured 7 weeks and all over this entire country (US) after the release of Phoenix. We plan on going back out in April, which means we will out-tour our last touring cycle (for Vagabonds, while we were on a label) significantly. We dumped 65k into our record, and we think it sounds like it. We love how it sounds, and so do our fans, and we'll gladly dump any excess of money into our music because we think it's worth it. We think our fans deserve it.

"Start touring already," is just about the most ignorant thing you could have said. Something tells me we could tour 365 days a year and you wouldn't hear about it, because something tells me you don't really care, and that's fine, but if you put the burden of proof on us you'll lose.

What baffles me is the sheer stubborn ignorance of music "listeners" these days. You're not music fans, you don't get music like a fan gets music (I happen to be an avid music fan, and I will pay extra for added value). You don't see the value in the connection between fan and artist, and you don't appreciate the things that true music fans appreciate. You resent true music fans, because your "fanship" is a fickle, selfish one that revolves around you, and you're jealous of those who actually have a deep connection to music. Your relationship to music is largely based on the fact that it's a convenient topic to troll. You get a kick out of having an opinion... You'd gladly see your favorite bands fail so you could feel good about knowing them before anyone else did and exclaim with sadness at the void they've left as if you didn't have any blame for their demise.

You won't kill us, because we have real fans who support us. We won't die because of you, because we don't pander to you. You don't get us, and we like it that way. Keep hating, and we'll keep making music.

The industry has changed. Independent artists have been forced to discover new and creative ways to get music made and to support ourselves while making it. Our music sales don't pay the bills (we all work side jobs), but it doesn't mean we don't have listeners who are willing to support us if we give them rewards in return. Obviously, if you don't think any of the rewards are worth it, then you won't understand why someone would purchase them. But, it doesn't make it okay to call the whole thing a "scheme." If it were so, our fans would be angry with us. Instead, they're all very happy with their rewards and are begging us to do another Kickstarter.

I realize if I responded to every knee-jerk blog comment on the internet, I'd never have time to write songs, and considering that's what I really love to do, I'll keep it to just this one.

What happened to this website anyways? I remember it's users being more sympathetic to indie bands in general...

Be good, kids.
Matt
03:46 PM on 12/28/12
blindrider529
User Info.
Maybe I'm bored, but I feel an urge to address your comment....

Win ALL over that entire comment.

Some people don't get it and some people do. Music lovers and people with open, non-judgemental minds get it.

P.S. props to me for being the leader of positive comments in this thread. Proud o' myself for not being an asshole.
11:17 AM on 02/20/13
dunkinsdonut
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Despite the controversy, I didn't mind their use of Kickstarter, but this is just ridiculous. They received donations totaling almost 50k more than they asked for! Start touring already.
You got called the fuck out
12:35 PM on 02/20/13
the_mango
User Info.
Maybe I'm bored, but I feel an urge to address your comment. Yes, NYRE is a lot like the Packers shareholders deal, except for the fact that with the Packers you don't get a T-shirt, royalty checks in the mail, digital media to distribute to friends, or an exclusive photo album, among other rights. I don't see how it's any different from a regular fan club, where you pay a yearly premium to receive the right to purchase tickets first and a few meet and greets. If people will pay for exclusivity if it's available, it's the job of the artist/company to make it available. Am I crazy for thinking this?

On the touring front, we toured 7 weeks and all over this entire country (US) after the release of Phoenix. We plan on going back out in April, which means we will out-tour our last touring cycle (for Vagabonds, while we were on a label) significantly. We dumped 65k into our record, and we think it sounds like it. We love how it sounds, and so do our fans, and we'll gladly dump any excess of money into our music because we think it's worth it. We think our fans deserve it.

"Start touring already," is just about the most ignorant thing you could have said. Something tells me we could tour 365 days a year and you wouldn't hear about it, because something tells me you don't really care, and that's fine, but if you put the burden of proof on us you'll lose.

What baffles me is the sheer stubborn ignorance of music "listeners" these days. You're not music fans, you don't get music like a fan gets music (I happen to be an avid music fan, and I will pay extra for added value). You don't see the value in the connection between fan and artist, and you don't appreciate the things that true music fans appreciate. You resent true music fans, because your "fanship" is a fickle, selfish one that revolves around you, and you're jealous of those who actually have a deep connection to music. Your relationship to music is largely based on the fact that it's a convenient topic to troll. You get a kick out of having an opinion... You'd gladly see your favorite bands fail so you could feel good about knowing them before anyone else did and exclaim with sadness at the void they've left as if you didn't have any blame for their demise.

You won't kill us, because we have real fans who support us. We won't die because of you, because we don't pander to you. You don't get us, and we like it that way. Keep hating, and we'll keep making music.

The industry has changed. Independent artists have been forced to discover new and creative ways to get music made and to support ourselves while making it. Our music sales don't pay the bills (we all work side jobs), but it doesn't mean we don't have listeners who are willing to support us if we give them rewards in return. Obviously, if you don't think any of the rewards are worth it, then you won't understand why someone would purchase them. But, it doesn't make it okay to call the whole thing a "scheme." If it were so, our fans would be angry with us. Instead, they're all very happy with their rewards and are begging us to do another Kickstarter.

I realize if I responded to every knee-jerk blog comment on the internet, I'd never have time to write songs, and considering that's what I really love to do, I'll keep it to just this one.

What happened to this website anyways? I remember it's users being more sympathetic to indie bands in general...

Be good, kids.
Matt
When I posted my comment two months ago, I did little more than scan the link from the news article before leaving a quick and, admittedly, brash reply. As someone who has followed TCC for several years, I was glad to support the Kickstarter project for Phoenix - and encouraged several friends to donate too, by the way - and was definitely satisfied with the finished product. Remembering that the project yielded much, much more funding than the band initially asked for, however, I dismissed the idea of the NYRE as excessive - as though the surplus of money donated had somehow not covered the necessary costs for touring - when the Kickstarter updates had clearly spelled out intended tour plans in accordance with the extra funding. (I live on the east coast, so I know I'm not exactly first in line geographically for you guys.) Simply put, I judged that the band had not followed through with their stated intentions.

Looking back, I see that my words were contemptuous and ignorant, as I know little about what it's like to make a living writing music and playing shows, and for that I apologize.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests