Other 8 19.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

09:28 AM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
TJ Wells
i'll see you at the movies.
Portland, OR
Male - 27 Years Old
Pick this year's best picture nominees. Make ten choices, since that just makes the whole process easier.
09:36 AM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
I think we're going all the way to ten this year.

Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Moonrise Kingdom
Silver Linings Playbook
Skyfall
Zero Dark Thirty

Alternates: Amour, The Master, The Impossible
09:41 AM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 31 Years Old
The Master
Beasts Of The Southern Wild
Argo
Zero Dark Thirty
Lincoln
Les Miserables

Silver Linings Playbook
Life Of Pi
Moonrise Kingdom
Django Unchained

I think the first 6 are pretty likely to get nominations... The last 4 may or may not... Amour could possibly get a nod too, but I think it will be for Foreign Language Film
09:43 AM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
TJ Wells
i'll see you at the movies.
Portland, OR
Male - 27 Years Old
I think we're going all the way to ten this year.

Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Moonrise Kingdom
Silver Linings Playbook
Skyfall
Zero Dark Thirty

Alternates: Amour, The Master, The Impossible
I fucking hope so. That list would absolutely make the AMC marathon worth it.
10:01 AM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
The Master
Beasts Of The Southern Wild
Argo
Zero Dark Thirty
Lincoln
Les Miserables

Silver Linings Playbook
Life Of Pi
Moonrise Kingdom
Django Unchained

I think the first 6 are pretty likely to get nominations... The last 4 may or may not... Amour could possibly get a nod too, but I think it will be for Foreign Language Film

I think you might be overestimating the chances for The Master (and underestimating Silver Linings).

I fucking hope so. That list would absolutely make the AMC marathon worth it.

Oh hell yeah, I would do that in a heartbeat for that list. Last year wasn't bad, but had a lot of movies I didn't care much to watch again. Regardless, I'm certain our nominees are in that list of 13.
10:02 AM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Also, I find it interesting how much Flight fell down. A bunch of pundits were playing up its chances at making it back around its release (or in the weeks when it was doing really well), and that talk just seems to have died. You didn't even include it!
10:07 AM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 31 Years Old
I think you might be overestimating the chances for The Master (and underestimating Silver Linings).

You might be right. I haven't seen either movie yet, but I plan on seeing both before the awards. I know Silver Linings has gotten more response on most people's prediction lists, but I'm sticking with the Master over SLP just to be different and go out on a limb...
10:07 AM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 31 Years Old
Also, I find it interesting how much Flight fell down. A bunch of pundits were playing up its chances at making it back around its release (or in the weeks when it was doing really well), and that talk just seems to have died. You didn't even include it!

sorry, but I chuckled when I read that
10:11 AM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
You might be right. I haven't seen either movie yet, but I plan on seeing both before the awards. I know Silver Linings has gotten more response on most people's prediction lists, but I'm sticking with the Master over SLP just to be different and go out on a limb...

I just don't think The Master is the Academy's cup of tea and I think it's buzz has tumbled tremendously, especially since Phoenix made those comments about the Oscars. Hoffman will still get in for supporting, but if the film does make it, it will be the last one over the line. As for Silver Linings Playbook, if this were a year of five, that would very likely be the fifth film, so it's a lock for the expanded field.

sorry, but I chuckled when I read that

Haha, forgot to add "(pun intended)."
10:18 AM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 31 Years Old
I just don't think The Master is the Academy's cup of tea and I think it's buzz has tumbled tremendously, especially since Phoenix made those comments about the Oscars. Hoffman will still get in for supporting, but if the film does make it, it will be the last one over the line. As for Silver Linings Playbook, if this were a year of five, that would very likely be the fifth film, so it's a lock for the expanded field.

You're probably right, I kind of forgot about Joaquin Phoenix saying that.

I assume you've seen both films... I'm fairly certain I remember you saying you liked The Master quite a bit, but correct me if I'm, wrong... is SLP really that good?
10:32 AM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
Lisboa, Portugal
Male - 27 Years Old
I didn't see them all, so I only chose three, which I did see, and think are worth it, since they're awesome. which are Amour, Argo and Moonrise Kingdom. although MK will probably be forgotten by the Academy. same with Amour, that will probably be nominated for best foreign picture, unjustly in my opinion

I wouldn't mind if Life of Pi would be among the nominees as well, it's a great movie.
10:54 AM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
Every Time I Ty
Daaaaaaaarryl
Ontario
Male - 22 Years Old
I'm going to wait till I see Django before I vote, I heard it's unreal.
10:55 AM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
You're probably right, I kind of forgot about Joaquin Phoenix saying that.

I assume you've seen both films... I'm fairly certain I remember you saying you liked The Master quite a bit, but correct me if I'm, wrong... is SLP really that good?

I actually haven't seen The Master yet. Didn't get a chance to catch it in theaters, and since we haven't gotten a screener or a DVD release yet, I'm still waiting. But I make a point of following numerous Oscar blogs, and it just seems that, while The Master has done reasonably well with the critics groups and is obviously well liked in the film community, it's too divisive and challenging to make it in, especially in a year where the end-of-the-year prestige pics really delivered.

Silver Linings Film is a different kind of film entirely, and they aren't really comparable. I personally loved it for what it was, which is a well-executed, well-acted romantic comedy. I think it's too lightweight to win Best Picture, but I definitely think it deserves a nomination.
11:17 AM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 31 Years Old
I actually haven't seen The Master yet. Didn't get a chance to catch it in theaters, and since we haven't gotten a screener or a DVD release yet, I'm still waiting. But I make a point of following numerous Oscar blogs, and it just seems that, while The Master has done reasonably well with the critics groups and is obviously well liked in the film community, it's too divisive and challenging to make it in, especially in a year where the end-of-the-year prestige pics really delivered.

Silver Linings Film is a different kind of film entirely, and they aren't really comparable. I personally loved it for what it was, which is a well-executed, well-acted romantic comedy. I think it's too lightweight to win Best Picture, but I definitely think it deserves a nomination.

I wasn't paying attention when I quoted you. I thought I was quoting TJ, which is why I assumed you had seen both movies. I'm waiting for a screener/DVD of The Master as well.

I've noticed on the blogs that The Master isn't fairing too well as far as a nomination goes for Best Picture, but I was thinking along the same lines as you about SLP being a little to lightweight for Best Picture (but maybe it'll get a nomination... same with Moonrise Kingdom, which I hope does because I loved it)
11:20 AM on 01/07/13 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 26 Years Old
1. Holy Motors
2. The Master
3. The Turin Horse
4. The Loneliest Planet
5. Tabu
6. The Kid With A Bike
7. Once Upon A Time in Anatolia
8. The Deep Blue Sea