Username
Password
Hip-Hop News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 544.
11:51 AM on 01/08/13
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
Right, because music is not subjective at all. At the very least Nas is a fantastic lyricist, so what makes someone arbitrarily declaring him "the greatest" so outrageous?
Exactly.
Jason Tate
User Info.
Yes, because CNN is not the hip-hop authority that Absolutepunk is...
There is no such "in hip-hop" attachement to this statement.
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Because he's not the greatest lyricist of all time.

BOOOOOOM!!!!
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
By reading the article and seeing that all the references to his competition for the title are in hip hop, it's pretty obvious that that's what they meant.
11:52 AM on 01/08/13
Chris Collum
No dumbass dove in my dumbass brain
User Info.
So hip-hop lyricists are by nature second-rate lyricists? Or am I misinterpreting you?
11:53 AM on 01/08/13
ConnorCorruptNJ
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
okay lmfao
11:53 AM on 01/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Right, because music is not subjective at all. At the very least Nas is a fantastic lyricist, so what makes someone arbitrarily declaring him "the greatest" so outrageous?
Lyrics are different than the all encompassing "music."

And to answer your question, you basically give my answer ... it's "someone arbitrarily declaring" it.
11:55 AM on 01/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
By reading the article and seeing that all the references to his competition for the title are in hip hop, it's pretty obvious that that's what they meant.
I would disagree.

Those words were carefully chosen: "lyricist" over "rapper" or "hip-hop artist;" "greatest" instead of "most successful;" "all time" rather than "today."

Of. All. Time.
Jason Tate
User Info.
So hip-hop lyricists are by nature second-rate lyricists? Or am I misinterpreting you?
You're willfully misinterpreting me.
ylightflight
yung rug munch
User Info.
KREAYSHAWN IS THE BEST RAP LYRICIST OF ALL TIME DUH
11:56 AM on 01/08/13
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
I would disagree.

Those words were carefully chosen: "lyricist" over "rapper" or "hip-hop artist;" "greatest" instead of "most successful;" "all time" rather than "today."

Of. All. Time.
All he was saying with that is that he wasn't trying to say he had the best rhythmic flow (as in "rapper") or music (as in "hip hop artist") in hip hop.

He also said:

"OK, no lists then; just a strong case for Nas being the best rhymesmith ever, the GOAT, numero uno, and a humble concession that this is but one man's opinion and yours are enthusiastically welcomed below."
11:57 AM on 01/08/13
QuietThings430
Stop liking things.
User Info.
This thread is going to be the death of all of us.
11:59 AM on 01/08/13
Chris Collum
No dumbass dove in my dumbass brain
User Info.
Lyrics are different than the all encompassing "music."

And to answer your question, you basically give my answer ... it's "someone arbitrarily declaring" it.
Okay fine, I'll accept that distinction. Are you saying there is no subjective element to what makes lyrics good or bad?

Well you could say Morrissey is the greatest lyricist of all time (not saying you think that, just a guess) or I could say Springsteen, but that's still someone arbitrarily declaring an opinion. I don't think your reaction to CNN's pronouncement was based solely upon the fact that they arbitrarily declared someone the greatest lyricist of all time with little evidence. If they had done the same thing for oh I dunno...Dylan or Lennon or somebody from the world of rock music I doubt you would have reacted like you did. If you don't agree with it, fine. But why is it so ridiculous for one to think Nas is the greatest lyricist of all time? You still haven't really answered that.
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.

Because he's not the greatest lyricist of all time.

A case for Nas, hip-hop's finest MC is the headline. Whole article is about hip-hop.

Even the paragraph you quoted:

Those are all referring to the genre of hip-hop and rap, terminology-wise. I don't think they were saying Nas writes better lyrics than John Lennon and Bob Dylan. The context you took it in is completely wrong, but at the same time, the context he used in his actual article is pretty inaccurate too.
Jason Tate
User Info.
All he was saying with that is that he wasn't trying to say he had the best rhythmic flow (as in "rapper") or music (as in "hip hop artist") in hip hop.

He also said:

"OK, no lists then; just a strong case for Nas being the best rhymesmith ever, the GOAT, numero uno, and a humble concession that this is but one man's opinion and yours are enthusiastically welcomed below."
Ok? He said a lot of things ... I don't really care about those -- others can discuss that all they want. I think the statement that Nas is the greatest lyricist of all time is ridiculous ... that's the only statement I am talking about.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS