AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Real Friends - Three Songs About the Past... Album Cover

Real Friends - Three Songs About the Past...

Reviewed by
Real FriendsThree Songs About the Past Year of My Life
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: November 13th, 2012
Last fall, Illinois pop-punk band Real Friends announced that they would have three songs entitled Three Songs About the Past Year of My Life for streaming on the Glamour Kills website for a couple of days. I was bummed because I wasn’t able to listen to it, but they announced they put the three songs on their bandcamp for “pay what you want,” and well, I definitely jumped at the chance to grab those songs, because they’re great songs. These songs only total about 7 minutes altogether, and they really haven’t changed much from their last release Everyone That Dragged You Here, but they’re still great, nonetheless.

The EP, if you can call it that, opens with “Dirty Water,” and this song does have the typical “Real Friends” sounds. Vocalist Dan Lambton sounds great and the accompanying instrumentation is nice as well. There’s nothing terrible different about this song, but that’s not the most important thing, right? Pop-punk isn’t quite known for its variety, and I’ve said a million times. Regardless, though, second track “Hebron” is a bit different. It’s a bit slowed down, and begins with a very slow guitar riff, but it’s really short at about two and a half minutes. I wish it were longer, because this is something I haven’t heard from the band before, and I’d like to hear some “different” stuff like this from them. This song kind of has a Transit-like sound to it, meaning they combine a bit of indie with pop-punk and I like it. Lambton even screams/shouts some of the lyrics towards the middle of the song and the emotion is definitely pouring out of his voice, which is amazing. Third track “Alexander Supertramp” returns to form, but it’s a nice short pop-punk track that ends the EP nicely.

In all honesty, this EP is what we’ve come to expect from Real Friends – great pop-punk that you can listen to with your friends while talking about the good times you’ve had, even the bad times. Just life in general, I suppose. This isn’t the greatest band ever, but even so, they’re one of the best pop-punk bands around right now, and I always get stoked whenever they release something new. It always ends up being great, and this EP is no exception.

Recommended If You Like Transit, I Call Fives, With the Punches, pop-punk

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Dirty Water
2. Hebron
3. Alexander Supertramp

Real Friends is:
Kyle Fasel- bass
Dave Knox- guitar
Dan Lambton- vocals
Brian Blake- drums
Eric Haines- guitar

www.facebook.com/realfriendsband

www.realfriends.bandcamp.com
This review is a user submitted review from justbradley. You can see all of justbradley's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version